It's here! The M-Tronic MS261C is finally here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A phone call to Florida revealed that I left the charger there on vacation:( So, while not the first start, I shot another on my DSLR. The saw was cold, second start since new, and started on the first pull. Compression is nearly 165 PSI with no run time on it.

IMG_1070-M.jpg

[video=youtube_share;ghyFTgnuMyo]http://youtu.be/ghyFTgnuMyo[/video]

A phone call to Florida revealed that I left the charger there on vacation:( So, while not the first start, I shot another on my DSLR. The saw was cold, second start since new, and started on the first pull. Compression is nearly 165 PSI with no run time on it.
Sounds very...ordinary. Looking forward to hearing it after porting. :)

What all this sameness means, is that we're good to proceed with the same mods I've been doing to the MS261. Fortunately, the intake tract and carb are the same design as before, such that the dividers can be removed and more fuel fed to the engine.

I have video of the first startup and running. Unfortunately, I can't find my power cable. That cable is required to get the vids off the camera. I'll keep looking. Sorry.

There will be no vids in wood until later in the week, perhaps Thurday night. My truck is waiting for me to install new brakes on it in the driveway. Sometimes life dictates what you'll do, rather than what you want to do:(

IMG_1060-M.jpg

IMG_1061-M.jpg

Good old Ohio salt:(
IMG_1062-M.jpg

Looks like they failed from lack of lube. :D Heck, leave it and drive your wifes.

OK, now I'm off to work on the truck, lol.

Fyi.... if you dremel the ears of the pads open so they can be finger slid easily, they won't stick like that. Also clean and rust proof paint under the stainless slide they ride on. That rusts, gets bigger and they stick. I also grease with syn caliper grease in the fall. My first chev brakes went 30k miles, 2nd set is closing in on 100k.

Why they dont galvanize them.....

How many of you guys are planning a road trip to see Stihl crazy ? My 261 is still fairly new so I will wait to see how the 261 mtronic performs before trading it in for the 261c:msp_biggrin:

You don't have to come to me. Every dealer up here can have them now. Regular 261 is long gone.

LOL

I have to mow my lawn here in a few minutes make a new fire wood rack after that then make dinner some were in between that other stuff

Dang, that is what I just got done doing!

Agreed. Stamped spike :msp_thumbdn:. Momentary cut-off switch :msp_thumbup:.

Dual spike kit would fix that.........I am going to hear it from SawTroll on that comment. :cheers:

How many Chinese-made parts would have to appear on a Stihl product, before you started NOT buying their product any more?

One would think the cheaper that Stihl could have parts made in China, the MSRP on their products would drop in relationship. Yup......one would think.............:laugh:

You don't have to come to me. Every dealer up here can have them now. Regular 261 is long gone.

not around here, the local dealers still haven't put the new one on the shelves.

now I want to see how it performs against a 550xp.

Ive never had a 261 in hand, are the screws for the top cover quarter turn or regular old screws? Probably the least important thing on the saw but looks like a step backwards compared to the 260 or Husky.

I really like the kill switch. It's a momentary switch, which means it returns to the run position as soon as you let go of it. I'm not so fond of the new stamped dawg.

Do you still have to squeeze the trigger to move the lever to the start position?

We ordered 12 regular 261s Friday. The warehouse was empty and we got the CM instead. When your dealer reorders the CM be sent.

guess I will stop in on the way home tomorrow and see. I am itching to buy a new 50cc saw, been waiting to see how the new saw works out.

Back