It's time to have a serious discussion.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so we'll reconviene with the stogies and jug at say...noon west coast time Cody? LOL

Lol! Yeah, I wish. Sometimes I like to live in a little fantasy world where I am "Gus" on "Lonesome Dove"; Every time I watch that movie, I envy that guy a little more...especially when he is sitting on that dusty porch, pullin on his Jug, kickin a pig once in a while, while everyone else works; Then stragglin on down to the saloon for cards, some witty conversation, and some temporary female companionship! I know...fantasy world! :bang: I would not last very long livin like that, but it sure is fun to practice once in a while...other than the temporary female companionship, I am glad to have that full-time:clap:

One of my buddies just posted some nice old growth fallin pics on facebook, of a job they just did in Blue River...some nice fir! I will have to see if I can get ahold of him to give me permission to post them.

Lol! Yeah, I wish. Sometimes I like to live in a little fantasy world where I am "Gus" on "Lonesome Dove"; Every time I watch that movie, I envy that guy a little more...especially when he is sitting on that dusty porch, pullin on his Jug, kickin a pig once in a while, while everyone else works; Then stragglin on down to the saloon for cards, some witty conversation, and some temporary female companionship! I know...fantasy world! :bang: I would not last very long livin like that, but it sure is fun to practice once in a while...other than the temporary female companionship, I am glad to have that full-time:clap:

Hahaha. I believe Gus refered to that temporary female companionship as a "poke". ;)
I'm glad I've got that position filled full time too. But I still enjoy a "poke" ever' once in a while. :D
Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's also one of the longest.

Andy

Hahaha. I believe Gus refered to that temporary female companionship as a "poke". ;)
I'm glad I've got that position filled full time too. But I still enjoy a "poke" ever' once in a while. :D
Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's also one of the longest.

Andy

Well yes, I was gonna say that but, "there are just some things my vanity cannot abide" Definitely my favorite western of all time!

The best of the best

A buddy of mine posted these pics on facebook, and I wanted to share. These and a select few other guys just like them, were the most influential fallers I ever worked around...not to mention, the best. Tip yer tins!:bowdown:

Jeff...My Bullbuck when I worked for Columbia in Humboldt County CA...Excellent Old Growth Faller...Gunning this nice Fir:

17172_105608512792350_100000296049341_142514_8180212_n.jpg

Springboard Pics:

17172_105608472792354_100000296049341_142502_1689116_n.jpg

17172_105608489459019_100000296049341_142507_3963429_n.jpg

Undercut pics:

17172_105608499459018_100000296049341_142510_3397924_n.jpg

17172_105608502792351_100000296049341_142511_6391397_n.jpg

Cleaning the grooves:

17172_105608522792349_100000296049341_142517_796036_n.jpg

Todd...Timber Beast, excellent Timber Faller, one of the strongest, toughest men I have ever known. notice he is wearing one of the harnesses I mentioned from the suspender thread:

17172_105608539459014_100000296049341_142522_7593273_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool Cody!!
It's been awhile since I saw a faller putting in the back cut first, this is an excellent example of jack use, the cuts are perfect.
I love that staging, interesting, there are as many ways to cut on very steep ground, as there are fallers.

That does look like lots of fun.
I visited The Giants today, I'm 15 minutes away from some of the biggest trees on earth. I spent an hour in rare sunlight, planning layouts

Awesome pics and vids guys! That is some serious timber! Its interesting to see the back cut before the face. There are so many ways to cut timber and only a handful of guys who really know how to do it. Its incredible to see such a clean looking face on such a big tree and working off of springboards like that. Very humbling!

Keep em coming!

Awesome pics Cody!:cheers:

I would love to work with the guy who made those video's He cracks me up. But he might be just a little too PC for me to hang around with! Lol

I had several favorite descriptive phrases, to bad for the word censer, I'm not gonna type 'em out.

Cody, that second picture, nice to see another faller who chops back the bark.
I have seen and worked on trees that were felled using that method, mostly large timber, Redwoods respond well to it. My Grandfather showed me the hows and whys of doing the backcut first, a practice that goes way back to the handtool guys.

I had several favorite descriptive phrases, to bad for the word censer, I'm not gonna type 'em out.

Cody, that second picture, nice to see another faller who chops back the bark.
I have seen and worked on trees that were felled using that method, mostly large timber, Redwoods respond well to it. My Grandfather showed me the hows and whys of doing the backcut first, a practice that goes way back to the handtool guys.

Those guys were always clean and concise in their work, and it was awesome for me to get the opportunity to work around guys like this and learn from them.

Those guys were always clean and concise in their work, and it was awesome for me to get the opportunity to work around guys like this and learn from them.

Well......Did they rub off???? LOL just teasing.

By the looks of it all, you have experienced more than most guys our age ever will in the woods...

I know your a good faller. Your a smart guy and to have those two to work with...priceless bro. A piece of history. Guys like that are all but gone....

Last edited:
Hah hah, I almost got arrested today, I stopped by the Walker Road Grove this morning to sit and think after work. I was scoping out a monster Redwood using a plumbline, when a punkass NPS ranger cruised by. He asked what I was doing, I told the beardless boy that I was looking at trees. He repeated his question a few times, I answered the same way and he wanted to know what the plumbline was for. I told him it was for looking at trees. The pissant adopted the "Banty Stance" tried to imitate a full grown man, missed by a mile. I wasn't in the mood for any kinda crap, I'd been up all night, so I gave him a large ration of attitude "you gonna take me in for a piece of string" I was laughing in his face, I stepped on his shiney shoes, blew Havatampa smoke on him and turned my back to him when he spoke. He ran my DL, called the number on my work ID, Apologized profusely and left, presumably to tell his Mama on me. I guess my boss was heavily amused, I'll find out when I get to work. Would have been fun to be booked into my own jail.

You rekon he thought you where gonna pull ot a swiss army knife with an 084, D8, loader, & log truck and cut & haul the tree in a matter of minutes while nobody was looking.
Sounds like he was tripping on power, you should have told him that the undercut was on the opposite side of the tree that yall where standing on to see if he would run & look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back