It's time to have a serious discussion.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You rekon he thought you where gonna pull out a swiss army knife with an 084, D8, loader, & log truck and cut & haul the tree in a matter of minutes while nobody was looking...

HEY! Just because it hasn't happened yet, that we know of, doesn't mean that he couldn't have been gittin' ready for the first time!

BTW, that Swiss Army Knife comment was priceless and Rep worthy!

:yourock:

Yes, Polly Mae, he had the "hat". LOL it looked like it would spin on a windy day.

If you eally want to fire them up get some of that flagging from Bailey's that says Timber Harvest Boundary and start stringing it around.

Somebody did that in Bidwell Park in Chico a couple of years ago. I thought the tree huggers were all going into cardiac arrest.

Hah hah, I almost got arrested today, I stopped by the Walker Road Grove this morning to sit and think after work. I was scoping out a monster Redwood using a plumbline, when a punkass NPS ranger cruised by. He asked what I was doing, I told the beardless boy that I was looking at trees. He repeated his question a few times, I answered the same way and he wanted to know what the plumbline was for. I told him it was for looking at trees. The pissant adopted the "Banty Stance" tried to imitate a full grown man, missed by a mile. I wasn't in the mood for any kinda crap, I'd been up all night, so I gave him a large ration of attitude "you gonna take me in for a piece of string" I was laughing in his face, I stepped on his shiney shoes, blew Havatampa smoke on him and turned my back to him when he spoke. He ran my DL, called the number on my work ID, Apologized profusely and left, presumably to tell his Mama on me. I guess my boss was heavily amused, I'll find out when I get to work. Would have been fun to be booked into my own jail.

Sounded like a little punk :buttkick: Too bad you didn't pull out your power saw, crank er over, and give a crazy yell! He probably would have shat himself!

no disrespect intended randy,but the cali fools are invading us as we speak,i got one on either side of my home,they are not friendly nor neighborly,i treat them as enemies for they are sneaky,and im not paranoid either.tarzans solution to the powermonger appealed to me,im sure his tune would have changed quickly:chainsaw:had this situation culminated a hundred years ago im sure the"punk"would have found justice:clap:oops..did i say that out loud???lol

Yes Brother Bullbuck, you said that. LOL!!!
Such fools come from all corners, this one had a funny (foriegn) accent.

Let's see, Blue paint from Polly, flagging from Bob, Some 'tude from Cody, an idea from the Kid, I guess I will strap a big saw on my car and go "look at trees".

All you gotta do is wait till there is enough snow on the ground so their tahoes cannot navigate. Thats how I got away with my P+&d#r*%A snag escapades. In your case I dont think it snows very often so you might have some issues . . .

Our guy, who I like having on call if things ever get nasty and he also has a winch on his rig and used it when I was stuck in a snow drift on a warm July day, trains the younguns. They get graded on how shiny their shoes are. Some of them I like, some I don't. We generally tell him, that one was a keeper, that one is a cull. He teases them that their grade for shiny shoes goes bad after he sends them out in the brush to chase or check on something.

They come to us usually with the following experience: Military, then they got into the Park Service, then they decided to go with us. Or they are straight from the military. So, they don't know a thing about timber much less falling. Offer him a ceegar next time and maybe explain things. Maybe it'll calm him down and teach him a thing or two. :cheers:

Yes Brother Bullbuck, you said that. LOL!!!
Such fools come from all corners, this one had a funny (foriegn) accent.

Let's see, Blue paint from Polly, flagging from Bob, Some 'tude from Cody, an idea from the Kid, I guess I will strap a big saw on my car and go "look at trees".

:clap: Sounds like a plan. But do the whole deal...tin hat, 'spenders, calks, stagged off pants, oil stained hickory shirt, don't talk much, glare a lot, and spit snoose real close to the Hat's shiny boots. You don't have to run the saw...just set it on the tailgate and sharpen it.

If that doesn't work try getting a cruiser's vest, a calculator, a notebook, all the junk that fits in all the pockets, and whatever else will make them think you're doing a pre-sale cruise. If they ask what you're doing just tell them you're figuring up some footage for the mill. Try this down at Bull Creek in the summer time when all the tourists are wandering around tripping over deadfall...maybe you'll get your picture on the front page of the Garberville newspaper.

If worst comes to worst I'm sure everybody in the logging forum will throw in a day's wages for your bail. :)

And, yeah I'm not working right now so I have time to think up mischief for other people to get into. :greenchainsaw:

Oh yeah Bob, Bull creek, YEEEHAWWW!!!
Over a million board feet per acre, now we are talking timber.

Really? And I long for the days when it was 100MBF per acre. Lead me to this place. I will need a bigger D-tape.

Show me where the tops bust up we can make a good volume estimate!

Haaarrh. Will my RV fit there? :)

Drive south on 101 until you get to the Forks of the Eel (Dyerville), then turn right headed toward Honeydew, you will find yourself in the middle of Rockefeller Forest. It really needs thinned.

Hmmmm, don't know for sure, Bob may know. Salmon Creek had places that exceded a million per, net, the Yeager Creek (yeah, I know, tired of hearing it) drainage was covered with huge timber. Mill Creek in Del Norte county has some of the biggest in volume, massive trees, 20 feet or more in dia, there are stumps that tape out near 25 feet, at the cut.

I had several favorite descriptive phrases, to bad for the word censer, I'm not gonna type 'em out.

Cody, that second picture, nice to see another faller who chops back the bark.
I have seen and worked on trees that were felled using that method, mostly large timber, Redwoods respond well to it. My Grandfather showed me the hows and whys of doing the backcut first, a practice that goes way back to the handtool guys.

Can you tell more about the back cut first?
I know you need a kerf in front of the jacks. What other reasons would you put the back cut in first.

Putting in the backcut first is for very heavy leaners, when you have no other recourse for the layout. You put the jacks, usually wedges too in, and start sawing, lift abit, more sawing, lifting, until you get to the point where you are sure the tree will go where you need it to go. Then you put in the undercut, continue with the sawing and lifting. I have seen trees that needed 6-8 inches of lift before the tree gave up and fell. Skybound trees are a blast, and will have you sweating bullets.

Putting in the backcut first is for very heavy leaners, when you have no other recourse for the layout. You put the jacks, usually wedges too in, and start sawing, lift abit, more sawing, lifting, until you get to the point where you are sure the tree will go where you need it to go. Then you put in the undercut, continue with the sawing and lifting. I have seen trees that needed 6-8 inches of lift before the tree gave up and fell. Skybound trees are a blast, and will have you sweating bullets.

Ok you are saying to put in the back cut and bring the pressures up and then advance the back cut to lower the pressures then bring the pressure back up and move the tree forward before putting in the under cut?
I have never done that but you guys have way more experience with jacking trees than I ever will.

Back