Ive been spoiled warning skid steer content.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been preparing for a GTG and getting my firewood for next year. I had a bunch of blow downs from all the storms over the last 2 years. So I rented a skid steer to get the wood out. Well now im spoiled I was able to get all this out in about 4 hours befor the ground thawed to much and it turned into a mud run. Im guessing 3ish cords here and I still have 3ish cords in the woods to get out. I was also able to spread 5 yards of 3/4 stone in my driveway to fill all the low spots. Normally i do the sone a pickup truck at a time over a few weekends. The best part my back isnt sore at all. View attachment 286365View attachment 286366View attachment 286367View attachment 286368View attachment 286369

Hello,
I've got a New Holland L170 and it's the best firewood tool I own !!!!! It's great for pulling down trees that get hung up on other trees.......just throw a chain around the base and pull away !!!!!! You need to get one......now that you've been ruined !!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Skidsteers are very handy, I have a L783 New Holland & wonder how i ever did without it. Enjoy!

Hello,
I've got a New Holland L170 and it's the best firewood tool I own !!!!! It's great for pulling down trees that get hung up on other trees.......just throw a chain around the base and pull away !!!!!! You need to get one......now that you've been ruined !!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Which one of you get to run the skidsteer? :hmm3grin2orange:

OP, I like your system! How many of those do you have? How many do you go through in a heating season?

286388d1364079609-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364079606-853586-jpg

It's amazing how versatile they are. I have a Bobcat 751 and I use it for everything to persuading leaners, pulling, dragging, staging, loading and unloading trailers, clearing brush, splitting, and even use it as a sawbuck. All this and still finding more ways to use it.

Which one of you get to run the skidsteer? :hmm3grin2orange:

OP, I like your system! How many of those do you have? How many do you go through in a heating season?

286388d1364079609-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364079606-853586-jpg

I sell firewood. Those skids hold 1/4 cord when stacked tight. Wood comes off a processor onto conveyor that makes 6 cord piles. I pay my 15 year old and a buddy $5 per skid to stack them. They can do 30 skids in 6 hours I can load a cord onto my dump trailer in about 10 minutes when I have to do a delivery. System works well for me. We only burn half a cord or so in the house for pleasure. My OWB is the main source of heat and gets a steady diet of log ends and unsellable waste.

I use the euro pallets. They are roughly 32 deep and 47" wide. I cut my wood 14". I like these skids because they have the wooden blocks on the bottom to nail the framing to. They usually stay together pretty well. If I had to ship the palletized wood I would Definatly shrink wrap. We just tip them with pallet forks and hand push the wood onto the trailer.

I ruined myself too, I had a skidsteer before I ever started burning, now I don't know what I'd ever do without it!

Congrats! The PT60 is by far the best skid steer I have run, nice balanced size with good power and the suspension makes it really smooth. On the farm we call it the little D7, it moves mountains of dirt, digs ponds, builds roads and everything in between.

I was an excavating contractor. I love the skid steer but sometimes really miss the big crawler loader and the hoe (as in backhoe you dirty minded heathens!). Wish I still had the boom to load logs after skidding them to the yard. I'm ordering a grapple for the skid loader tomorrow. That may quench my longings for a while...:hypnotized:

I have to say I was very impressed with this machine and im going to be sad when they load it up to take it out of here tomorrow. The power and traction were unreal. At one point i had it buried up to the underbelly in mud i was only running 1/4-1/2 thottle all day because the area i was in was tight and the machine is quick. I though i was done and stated to think how i was going to get a 6000lbs machine unstuck. Then I just said screw it and hamered down well all i did at that point was hold on as she poped up out of the hole. In the picture with the 3 oak logs by themsleves the middle one and the one all the way to the right had me riding on the front of the tracks. The logs are 20 inches by 16 feet and looking at the specs it can lift 1900 and tipping point is something like 3200 those logs tested those numbers.

They are handy.

Before any one comments on lack of GC - the torsions were sacked out at this juncture and have been replaced. :msp_biggrin:

I have to say I was very impressed with this machine and im going to be sad when they load it up to take it out of here tomorrow. The power and traction were unreal. At one point i had it buried up to the underbelly in mud i was only running 1/4-1/2 thottle all day because the area i was in was tight and the machine is quick. I though i was done and stated to think how i was going to get a 6000lbs machine unstuck. Then I just said screw it and hamered down well all i did at that point was hold on as she poped up out of the hole. In the picture with the 3 oak logs by themsleves the middle one and the one all the way to the right had me riding on the front of the tracks. The logs are 20 inches by 16 feet and looking at the specs it can lift 1900 and tipping point is something like 3200 those logs tested those numbers.

Ive never tried a tracked one, wondered how they did in deep mud. The wheeled ones here (just buckets, no grapples or anything else) are so so in moderate mud***, I wouldnt take one off hard surface very far.

***most of the mud they see is when a water line springs a leak inside a broiler house, gets about a foot deep with chicken litter soup sometimes....they go through it but not real well and only because the clay floors are super pounded down rock hard underneath. I am assuming a tracked version can go a little deeper than that, but not too much more??

Ive never tried a tracked one, wondered how they did in deep mud. The wheeled ones here (just buckets, no grapples or anything else) are so so in moderate mud***, I wouldnt take one off hard surface very far.

***most of the mud they see is when a water line springs a leak inside a broiler house, gets about a foot deep with chicken litter soup sometimes....they go through it but not real well and only because the clay floors are super pounded down rock hard underneath. I am assuming a tracked version can go a little deeper than that, but not too much more??

I have only used wheeled ones on hard surfaces before this one. When I told the rental company what I was planning on doing with it they said tracked all day. This thing was a mini tank 12 inches of ground clearance and right before I called it a day i wa running in muddy rut that deep you could see where the belly was dragging. Go to youtube and search that machine Terex PT-60 there are some vids that show what this machine can really do with a good operator.

Much less psi footprint on the ground vs wheels. Better flotation.

You would shake your head if I showed you a "trail" my neighbor made this winter through the woods, then through a swamp, and down on to the lake to go over to a neighbors house to spread wash sand out that he hauled over there via the lake. :dizzy:

Tracks make a huge difference but do have their limitations in some circumstances.

Latest posts

Back