Japan now makes the best saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always said that I'd like to see HONDA build some chainsaws.

If they did, and got real serious about them, I could easily see them putting Stihl and Husky on the skids.

Nobody, and I do mean nobody, knows small engines like Honda. :bowdown:
I agree only with the engine part. When Honda makes the entire machine, like their snowblowers or mowers, they over complicate things. The engines are a dream to work on. Their machines can be a nightmare.

Parts for hondas are easy to get here in fresno as well as briggs and stratton. I like the b&s weed trimmer engines light and have decent power, the old opposed cylinder intek on my grandpas kgrow mtd looks like hell but has never had a part replaced, starts easy, runs like new, and keeps on cutting.
See if there is any primary coil for a 1980 Honda express .

I agree only with the engine part. When Honda makes the entire machine, like their snowblowers or mowers, they over complicate things. The engines are a dream to work on. Their machines can be a nightmare.

I'll take your word on that. I've had enough Honda m/c's to know. They can and do tend to over-engineer stuff.

But, a chainsaw is basically just an engine with a bar & chain attached to it. No chassis, wheels, steering mechanism, drive train, etc.

I'll take your word on that. I've had enough Honda m/c's to know. They can and do tend to over-engineer stuff.

But, a chainsaw is basically just an engine with a bar & chain attached to it. No chassis, wheels, steering mechanism, drive train, etc.
I think Yamaha beats Honda in the over engineered dept. Takes 45 minutes to remove the carb from my ATV as you have to take half the rig apart. Then it takes three hands working in unison to put it back together and my hands are almost too big to get in there.

I think Yamaha beats Honda in the over engineered dept. Takes 45 minutes to remove the carb from my ATV as you have to take half the rig apart. Then it takes three hands working in unison to put it back together and my hands are almost too big to get in there.
All I'm going to say is I've worked on Honda stuff, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki. I absolutely love Honda. I do like Yamaha pretty well too. When it comes to automobiles again Honda actually keeps it simple and straightforward, when you go back to GM, it's like what in gods name were they thinking. If you want complicated work on a German made vehicle, then you'll see over engineering.

B&S engines typically work well enough, you need 1,000 different size sockets to remove just basic components and they vibrate and shake themselves apart. No way in the world would I ever considered comparing a B&S engine to a Honda, the parts, design, machining tolerances, balancing is on a different planet when compared to Briggs & Stratton. Kawasaki small engines are pretty sweet in my book as well.

I'm no fan boy, Honda makes mistakes too, but the correct them admit it and move on.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Well i like Shindaiwa/Echo. So the dealers original comments struck a good cord with me.
As for parts, if you dont have a dealer near you to order from, pick up your iPhone and call a dealer or order online. Pretty easy. The internet has made it a very small world now.
The whole "Hard to get parts" comment is BS in my book.
I also love Stihl and Husky Pro saw too. I order my Husky parts online, even though we have a dealer in my home town. He is a complete male rooster, and not well liked at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well i like Shindaiwa/Echo. So the dealers original comments struck a good cord with me.
As for parts, if you dont have a dealer near you to order from, pick up your iPhone and call a dealer or order online. Pretty easy. The internet has made it a very small world now.
The whole "Hard to get parts" comment is BS in my book.
I also love Stihl and Husky Pro saw too. I order my Husky parts online, even though we have a dealer in my home town. He is a complete male rooster, and not well liked at all.

I like "male rooster"!

Is that like a "Richard Cranium"?

Yeps for sure[emoji106]

I've always said that I'd like to see HONDA build some chainsaws.

If they did, and got real serious about them, I could easily see them putting Stihl and Husky on the skids.

Nobody, and I do mean nobody, knows small engines like Honda. :bowdown:

All honda small engines are now made in China........

I have some Honda stuff. And some Suzuki stuff. And some Yamaha stuff. And some Kawasaki stuff. And some KTM stuff.

I owned one Honda car. A CRV. (I've only owned one car). It was OK, but overpriced for what it was, and the brakes and wheel bearings were a constant nuisance. Though it did hold up to many miles of gravel where some cars would have fallen apart

The KTM stuff is better than the Japanese stuff, IMO.

Honda wouldn't have a clue how to build a chainsaw. I hope they never do, as it would be a 4 stroke and they would apply their considerable might to try to make 4 stroke chainsaws a requirement, just as they have done in influencing racing dirt bike rules. The only company that kept loyalty to 2 strokes was KTM (and Yamaha, to a certain extent) because they knew better, as any old gearhead does.

The Honda reliability thing is a myth. It used to be somewhat true. Not anymore as most small engine manufacturers have it pretty-well down. Currently, the race is on among the "1st tier manufacturers" to see who can apply the most gizmos to shock and awe the public.

Yamaha and KTM build the strongest engines. Suzuki has poor marketing but make some of the very best.

IMO, of course.

All honda small engines are now made in China........

Most are made here these days: https://hondanews.asia/tag/Thai+Honda+Manufacturing/

I have a 2016 Thai GX270 in my chipper/shredder. Quality engine all around, lots of cast iron parts, you could hit the starter with a hammer all day without breaking it, start at first pull and uses little fuel and no oil. In short it's as good as you'd expect any Honda product to be.
I also have one of the first GCV160 they made in Thailand in my lawnmower. Yes, it's a crappy little homeowner engine, but sees a fraction of the use the GX sees, only mowing the lawn in front of the house. It starts with no issue, uses little fuel and is good enough to mow the lawn despite "living" next to one of the woodpiles all year around, Winter included. Compared to the B&S and Kohler units in the same class (let alone the Chicom junk) it's a star. I know Robin/Fuji/Subaru has engines in that class which are supposed to be as good if not better but they are rarer than hen teeth around here.

I am now the proud owner of a Champion generator.

Chinese all the way, yet it appears on the outside to be very well built/fit and is, of course, a bargain price-wise. We’ll see if it stands the test of time.

My Honda generator is sold. Honda has no clue how to properly leverage a pull start, as evidenced in their larger small engines since the beginning of time. The Honda just got to be too much for my wife to pull-over...and me too. Ever try to pull start a Honda quad? Ridiculous hard pull and knuckle-breaking pull-back. Their kickstarts are good.

The Champion’s pull start is lots better and its electric start just plain sounds solid and works well. So far.

I’m not waiting for Honda to make a chainsaw (heaven forbid).

I’m waiting for the chinese to make a rockin’ saw for low dollars.

Most are made here these days: https://hondanews.asia/tag/Thai+Honda+Manufacturing/

I have a 2016 Thai GX270 in my chipper/shredder. Quality engine all around, lots of cast iron parts, you could hit the starter with a hammer all day without breaking it, start at first pull and uses little fuel and no oil. In short it's as good as you'd expect any Honda product to be.
I also have one of the first GCV160 they made in Thailand in my lawnmower. Yes, it's a crappy little homeowner engine, but sees a fraction of the use the GX sees, only mowing the lawn in front of the house. It starts with no issue, uses little fuel and is good enough to mow the lawn despite "living" next to one of the woodpiles all year around, Winter included. Compared to the B&S and Kohler units in the same class (let alone the Chicom junk) it's a star. I know Robin/Fuji/Subaru has engines in that class which are supposed to be as good if not better but they are rarer than hen teeth around here.
I could never understand why supersplit were charging a premium (over the subaru/robin) for a honda engine on their splitters. Apart from the hondas costing them more to purchase, which in itself is crazy.

I don't know about all their models, but the Hitachinaka I have isn't made in Japan, it was made in China. I don't use it much because its a top handle, but it always starts, and I've never had any problems with it. It's heavier than a Stihl 192 and doesn't have as much power, and doesn't feel nearly as well built, but for my occasional use, it seems to be a pretty good little saw. I couldn't see a pro using one though.

I don't know about all their models, but the Hitachinaka I have isn't made in Japan, it was made in China. I don't use it much because its a top handle, but it always starts, and I've never had any problems with it. It's heavier than a Stihl 192 and doesn't have as much power, and doesn't feel nearly as well built, but for my occasional use, it seems to be a pretty good little saw. I couldn't see a pro using one though.

How could it have less power, the couple of 192t I ran were gutless even when tuned good. Same engine as the gutless MS170 saws. Steve

I ordered a bunch of shindaiwa 488 parts and they are all made in Japan except made in China main bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back