Japanese King Maple - Save?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could tell it was a borer from the minute I set eyes on the tree.
Reading other replies made me second guess myself,and I should know better than that.
Tree's that are being damaged by borers just have a certain "Look"and "Feel"about them .I suggest you pick a different tree and different location for your next tree and make sure you plant at the correct depth and firm the soil as you fill the hole ..don't compact the soil,firm it gently,don't stomp it.Also a good practice is to remove the sod at least a 4' to 5'diameter around the planting area and add soil to fill where the sod was removed THEN dig the hole for the tree and plant high.
You are better off loosing it now because had it survived,in a few yaers you would be posting here about tree roots showing above the lawn ,a Maple is not really a good tree to lawn plant.

Sheshovel said:
.I suggest you pick a...different location for your next tree .
why? I don't see signs of verticilliun or armilaria or another soil pathogen.

Consider a much wider natural area in which to plant not only the tree but groundcover, shrubs and flowers. Trees do better with associates in wider areas, and your yard will look much better.

Back