JD & Stihl share 2 cycle technology

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
:dizzy:

John Deere licenses and shares new clean burning 2 cycle technology with Stihl. :blob2:

Interesting reading on the future of 2 strokes. :cool:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/newsroom/2001/releases/common/010625_reduce.html

JOHN DEERE LICENSES CLEAN-BURNING ENGINE TECHNOLOGY
Agreement with Andreas Stihl AG & Co.

JUNE 25, 2001 – Deere & Company recently signed a technology sharing agreement with Andreas Stihl AG & Co., licensing Stihl to design, develop and manufacture engines using a reduced–emission, 2–stroke engine fuel handling technology developed by John Deere. Stihl, headquartered in Waiblingen, Germany, is a multinational producer of a broad line of commercial–grade engine products, including the number one selling brand of chain saws and cutoff machines worldwide.

Stihl will utilize this technology in some of its products as one of the means of satisfying emissions standards such as CARB Tier II, EPA Phase II and future European regulations, which are expected to mirror those of the EPA. The firm is committed to the implementation of a variety of technologies. Hans Peter Stihl, chairman of Andreas Stihl, said, "The breadth of our product line demands the investigation and development of multiple technologies, allowing us to provide the optimum solution for each product and application. Along with several other available technologies, we have chosen to pursue Deere's fuel handling technology as a means of reducing emissions in some of our products."

Deere is offering this fuel handling technology, which it jointly developed with Design & Manufacturing Solutions Inc., to other companies under license agreements. This technology may have applications beyond handheld equipment, including walk–behind products, marine products, utility engines, snowmobiles and motor scooters.

"The signing of the Stihl agreement represents a breakthrough in Deere's efforts to spread the use of this technology. We are confident that the advances made by Stihl's world–class engineering organization will further our combined efforts to improve the state of this technology and to extend its application to a wider array of products," said Dan Reilly, vice president of manufacturing and product development for the John Deere Worldwide Commercial and Consumer Equipment Division.

Deere & Company (www.deere.com) creates smart and innovative solutions worldwide, in the form of advanced machines, services, and concepts, for customers on the farmsite, worksite, and homesite.

Please forward sales inquiries to John Deere Inquiry Department, PO Box 12217, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. Readers can call 1–800–537–8233 or visit us at www.johndeere.com.

Bill Klutho John Deere Worldwide
Commercial & Consumer Equipment Division
For more information, contact:
Catherine Blackwell (919) 877–0877 or blackwell@epley–ral.com
For consumer information or local dealer: 800–537–8233

It appears Deere has come a long way since the original inventor of the steel plow formed a company to market his products. This sort of behaviour isn't new; before the turn of the <b>last</b> century Deere had licensed, then absorbed, the work of one John Froelich.

The eventual result was the Waterloo Boy.

Will Deere try to swallow up Stihl, too?

I dont care if Stihl has to license tech from kraft foods if it means two strokes will not go the way of the do do.
Want to hear somehting funny about licensing. Polaris snowmobiles bought the rights to ficht ram injection for there sleds from OMC. Skidoo bought the rights to orbitol injection. In the mean time OMC went under and was bought up by Skidoos parent company. So as a result Polaris has the exclusive rights to a technology owned by one of its competitors.

Ben, I for one do not believe that 2 cycles are going to dissapear.

Manufacturers do need to invest in R&D to perfect technology but they still will be around. Oil companies have also bee improving their oils to make them cleaner and smokeless. :eek:

What I'm wondering is do we need to read between the lines.
"reduced–emission, 2–stroke engine fuel handling technology".

"2–stroke engine fuel" could mean the 4 cycle OHV engine using 2 cycle fuel.

truth is it probably wont affect me as i expect the older machines i have to out last me. about the only change i might opt for would be to own a power tuned saw. and thats on hold for now as christmas is a big drain on the pocket book around here. their technology
will undoubtably produce cleaner machines. thats great but i wont be using one unless it increases work out put. heck the most efficient saw i have is a little solo 634,and its pretty old.

Oil companies have also bee improving their oils to make them cleaner and smokeless.
The probelm emmision wise has never been oil related. Its the unburnt HC that slips out the exhaust during the scavengine process.
IMO the 4 cycel mix technology has a few short comings. 1. cost as much as a four cycle with simular power density and weight. 2. Last no longer than a two stroke because of the lube system.

Talked to our Stihl rep today and got this sorted out, kinda.
Stihl has bought rights to a "Wave" engine that JD had rights to. Something to do with sonic impulses of the of the fuel/air entry into the cylinder to reduce loss out the exhaust. Stihl apparently isn't certain at this time if they will actually use the technology but felt they needed the rights to it in case they need it to keep their 2 cycles in the future. Just covering their butts for the future.

He also said JD is getting out of the hand held and walk behind mower market. May be a year or so before they're out of it all together but that is probably why they decided to sell the rights.

What was that bodied go kart we called the Beetle? Just the all time sales leader.

And did we really win? We had to pay to rebuilt the world.

Back