John Deere 450c Dozer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a john deere 450c dozer from a family friend for $3000. The undercarriage is shot, but he just put a rebuilt engine in it about a year ago. Thing starts up everytime no ether. Think this is a good deal that I should jump on? Anyone also know how much it would be to fix the undercarriage? I want to get my own little business started working in the woods and this might just be my opportunity if I can get it going for cheap enough.

You are buying the dozer for the price of the engine. Undercarriages for that model can run from 8-18k, I would personally look around for a machine with some life left for around 10-12k. How are the clutches?

You are buying the dozer for the price of the engine. Undercarriages for that model can run from 8-18k, I would personally look around for a machine with some life left for around 10-12k. How are the clutches?

I'm not sure how the clutches are. Any idea what he'd get for it in scrap money? I would buy it for $1500, he's going to scrap it if no one buys it, and for $1500, i'd use it to plow snow in the winter, skid logs outta the woods, and proberly use it to make some sweet snow machine jumps too. Maybe if it works enough use it to make a mud pit out back

I would pass at any price, unless it is free. Undercarriage rebuild will be super expensive. The machine will be a money pit if you plan on using it on any kind of regular or daily basis.
I am one of the world's worst about buying old machines and trucks, and fixing them up. However, this is one deal even I would pass on.
Jeff

If I could get it for the price of scrap, I proberly will. I could use it a little bit for silly stuff and getting firewood. I have to see how bad the undercarriage is. from what he says, its pretty well toasted. but it has a good engine in it, which is proberly worth more than what he'll get scrap for it. I think it weighs ~7-7.5 ton. I wonder if I could move it with a pickup and gooseneck

Run the machine for 30 mins. (if it can take it). This will give you some kind of idea how the clutches are.

If I could get it for the price of scrap, I proberly will. I could use it a little bit for silly stuff and getting firewood. I have to see how bad the undercarriage is. from what he says, its pretty well toasted. but it has a good engine in it, which is proberly worth more than what he'll get scrap for it. I think it weighs ~7-7.5 ton. I wonder if I could move it with a pickup and gooseneck

Minimum hauling on that thing in the peoples republic of NY would be a single axle dump and a HD trailer with pintle hook. I think it was just last year about this time some wannabe contractor tried moving a backhoe with the setup you described and he ended up in a big pileup on the 90. I always had my dozer and excavator moved by my buddy that has a lowboy and a semi with a big cat diesel in it, too many people with lawyers on speed dial around here. We even use an 18' HD dovetail and a Hummer to move the bobcats around.

huh. yea my buddy has a 20k gvw gooseneck, only thing is the trailer weighs over 6k lbs so legally here in ny it wouldnt work. anyways, I got to thinking about it, talked with him some more about, it might just turn into a big headache. he said that the steering clutches are fine, engine is perfect, just the undercarriage is shot. says the tracks will fall off and i dont need that happening in the woods. I think I might better just save up for a skidder.

Latest posts

Back