John Deere CS-71 Price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got a lead on a John Deere CS-71. Comes with 33" bar and a couple chains and maybe a 24" bar, he was not sure. Runs strong. The guy was a small time tree service. Has not used it much. Whats is worth? I have heard they are a little on the sluggish side, heavy and not a ton of power. But, if I can pick up cheap...... Did not find much on the old interweb.

I got a Stihl 440 with 28" that I use for about everything. But, if I can pick up the Deere cheap and run it for a bit, I will. He also has a smaller Echo 400 I think I may buy too.

Thanks....

The JD 71 is effectively an echo 710. Same saw, different color. I have a 710 I use as a stump cutter. heavy, not a lot of RPM but loads of torque. I like it to cut stumps with because the side mounted carb is pointed straight up when on it side during stump duty. I paid $175 for a a running saw with a 20" bar and shot chain. Built like a tank w/ little plastic.

The 400(clamshell design) is a strong saw in the 40 cc class. Most think its imperative to drill the cat out of the muffler, remove the limters on the carb screws and retune. i want one that needs rebuilding but the smoke3d saws have all been robbed of parts. oem parts are expensive and no aftermarket.

The JD 71 is effectively an echo 710. Same saw, different color. I have a 710 I use as a stump cutter. heavy, not a lot of RPM but loads of torque. I like it to cut stumps with because the side mounted carb is pointed straight up when on it side during stump duty. I paid $175 for a a running saw with a 20" bar and shot chain. Built like a tank w/ little plastic.

Efco, not Echo.

Would this work alright on a chainsaw mill? Looking at a used one, but requires a 36" bar. Is that going to be too much for it?

I have one, I like it. Parts are hard to find. I have not needed any but it crosses your mind when you use it. Some parts were still available at the John Deere Dealer. It is on the same case as the cs-81. Which is better power to weight ratio. It is the same saw in efco, olympyk or oleo Mac 970 971. It would struggle with a 33 inch bar. 24 or 28 it does fine. I consider it more of a gentlemen's saw. It is not as aggressive as stihl and husky saw of the same size 044 272 372. I got a good deal on mine. I have seen them @ 350-400. Definitely more desirable in the John Deere green group. I would say less than $300 is reasonable and difficult to pass up around 200. Good luck

I agree with Tug. I've had my Cs71 for several years and it is my go to saw for the bigger stuff. It wears a 24" bar with pride and handles it well' I picked it up as a parts saw. New piston and some minor mods and put it to work. Perfect companion to my Husky 353. As was said, parts can be hard to come by.
thom

Well, I picked it up, spent a little more than I thought. Seller has treated me right on other stuff. So, for $300 it lives in my garage now. Ran it with the 24" bar, chain was shot. Pulled it off and threw the 32" bar on with a good chain. Ran it thru some ash. Runs strong. Might pull the muffler and open it up a bit. I should buy a compression gauge, it seems to pull over a lot harder than my MS440, but starts on 2-3 pull. Both bars are John Deere badged. Trying to get pics up.

20151107_105241_zpsu0ul5vdf.jpg
20151107_105254_zps3ewpmnta.jpg
700d332b-6eeb-4f05-b277-8c1ed0bceed9_zpsuwerrixz.jpg

I agree with Tug. I've had my Cs71 for several years and it is my go to saw for the bigger stuff. It wears a 24" bar with pride and handles it well' I picked it up as a parts saw. New piston and some minor mods and put it to work. Perfect companion to my Husky 353. As was said, parts can be hard to come by.
thom

What kind of mods did you do? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back