John W introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkerized

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My name is John Walker and i have been watching you guys for a couple of weeks now and thought i would like to join you CRAZY CHAIN SAW- TREE KILLERS LOL
Looks like you guys have fun and are learning alot about saws.
I thought it was time to introduce myself and to see if you guys will allow me to join your little group under the trees.

My Name is John Walker and I am the Manager of my parents chainsaw shop (Walkers Saw Shop)The largest Husqvarna dealer in Canada 2 years running and going for the Hat Trick. My Brother Don is the head mechanic, Justin Lofstrom is our Apprentice mechanic, Mother does the book keeping and tries to keep the brothers in line and writes the CHECKS, And the founder Bob Walker who spends half his day grinding cylinders and the other usually looking after his grandaughters.

The business started 20 some years ago when Bob got laid off at the largest contractor in B.C. Had enough he started his own business out of his small garage. He started modifying saws around then by taking Mac kart engines and putting them into the Mac 125 guys loved it and the rest is history.

Well i would like to thank some of you guys for the great comments on our product and service and hope we can continue this for you in the future

As for the saw mods. I will give you a brief description of what intails Walkerizing.
We first of all tear the saw down and look for factory defects and repair them. ie pinched wires,gaskets and broken screws are among a few
We grind the intake and exhaust ports to change the port timing.
as well as polish the ports, to eliminate the build up of carbon on the exhaust port.
we chamfer the ports and the piston and massage the rings before putting it back together.
We also do changes to the ignition timing in some saws if they are not with in our desired area.
The muffler is then drilled and 2 small pipes are installed.
Thats pretty much it and if i tell you any thing more i will have to KILL YOU LOL

We do approx 500 saws a year for the forest industry in our area as well as around the world. The customer wants more power in a lighter saw and also needs the reliability. Our Modifications will allow the saw to breath better and run cooler making less wear and a longer life.

Sure we could build you a ripping saw but we do not have the time for that kind of work and i would recommend you send it to Dennis if your not in a rush and I have heard Dennis is doing some fine work and good work takes time.

We are kind of like a production line but we take the same care on every saw that leaves our businnes as we are proud of the work we do and we would like to keep our reputation of being honest and doing the best job we can.

So Im here to relax and get away from the wife LOL and try and help some of you wanta BS out with questions.

anyways thanks for listening and hope to see you all later

John W

PS Not all of us Canadians sleep with our chainsaws ( GYPO )
approved and paid for by walkers saw shop BTW if you are a business please read posting guidelines. You can do a post like this for cheap!!(Thanks, administrator)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran into a guy from Davey tree doing a job in our neighbourhood about 2 years ago.
He was taking out a big Grand fir and I asked about his Stihl (038 I think) and why it sang so well.
He said he had it Walkerized about 10 years earlier.
That I think was the first time I had heard of your business, not being a woods logger I guess thats why.
As I learn more and more about saws your name keeps coming up, someday I would like to see your shop if possible.
You can hide all the secret tech tools so you don't have to kill me lol.

Hi Keener what part of gods country are you from and your welcome to drop by any time. Lunch is usually at 11 for me and if you know the area we go to the jingle pot pub.

Tools Hidden

John W

Howdy Walker's!

Good to hear from you. I knew Bob and Holly from when I was with Windsor in Vancouver and Victoria.
Do you still have the front fence made out of old McCulloch saw bars? Bob built up an old McCulloch 797 for me for testing sprockets. (I needed the old forged crankshaft and the high inertia. I would twist cranks in these new saws).

Is my little stretch of the Nit-Nat still intact there behind your place on the way to Franklin River? The logger's showed me that one. They did not cut it down in that tight canyon back in the old days, and it has to be one of the best and most beautiful fishing spots on earth. About 5 miles from your shop, as I remember. I took a Japanese visitor to the company there once. His comment: "Big trees, Big fish. Canada must be very rich"!

Regards,
Walt Galer

John, glad to see you here! This really is a great place, and there are a bunch of great people here...and some crazies...

I was over in Naniamo a couple weeks ago, ad was goin to stop in, but was on the hunt for figure skates for the gf's daughter so never made it over...but I will be back soon...will have to arrange a meeting at the Jingle Pot Pub..lol..

Make sure to check your schedule for the "Revival" weekend, as I am sure alot of your saws will be here...and thn you can bring some of your personal ones...which I am sure will have alot of "TLC" in them...someone needs to be able to compete against Robert , and I dont want him with all the trophies...lol

-Anybody that thinks the way to a mans heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

Thanks for the invite. i will try to be there. What is the date?

Hello Mr Administrator Nice to meet you and i will contact you next week if you give me your phone number and i will for sure advertise on your site. For $ 10.00 a month oh I mean $ 18.00 Canadian is a steal.
Sorry i did not read your guildlines before getting started. im new to this PC thing.

Thanks John W

well keener you can not be on my island as i can drive south in 1 hour and 15 minutes LOL I race a race car so i usually drive pretty fast. I drive a 150 Hp 1200 Lb Dwarf Car at Western Speedway

John W

I'm obviously older and slower than you John, besides it's uphill all the way from my end of the island.
You don't break free of the white hair and wheelchairs until you hit Duncan anyway.:D

Hi John, you would be some proud of me yesterday, a friend of mine asked if I would like to attend a woodcutting bee at his hunting and fishing club and would I bring along a saw to help, so I grabed the Walkerized 088 for some unknown reason as I have several of your saws as well.
Anyway, when we got there, they were basically just cleaning up deadfall and burning it and the only other saws there were 2 stock 026's and at least 20 guys to help lug the blocked wood and toss it on 3 open fires.
My first though was, " man is this going to be fun!"
Being the showoff that I am and loving a captive audience, I cranked that 088 and attacked everything in sight while everyone stood back dumb struck with that huge loud saw with its 21" bar and 75 drivers of 3/8" RS and the sawed off runt that was using it. More people seemed to appear as cell phone calls were made to see this once in a lifetime spectacle.
Anyway, the guy that was giving out the directions asked me to dump several 16" willows across the ice of a creek which I gladly complied to. The trees were multiple stems and I had to knotch at neck level to get them down while I stood on an ice glazed creek bank with the guy that brought me there holding on to my belt to keep me from sliding off.
As you know it is hard to make accurate cuts in this position and the 088 just spewed its sawdust covering me from head toe, which was fine, but the saw caught in the backcut and I let go, it was flung to the ice in the stem, but the saw was no worse off, hence another adrenalin rush. Its hard to explain, but it just fed the fire and I pumelled that wood fibre into blocks.
Anyway, I was offered an application to the club and was honoured, which gives us one more place to release our male aggression. If Rotax Robert, my best buddy ever shows up, I'll kick his sorry butt with my round ground chisel.
John the Lier

John, John John John John - Standing on ice, sawing multi-lead willows at neck height with an 088 while someone holds onto your belt. Sounds like the case of the headless sawyer to me.

Speaking of 088's, mine arrived, thank you very much. It was at my door when I got home on Saturday, after sawing some cedar in the morning. Used my 066 on the cedar, it was overkill - the way the guy described the trees I expected something a bit more substantial, but oh well.

The owner of the cedars had been kind of hacking at them with his saw, but had gotten discouraged - I asked him what kind of saw he was using and what do you know - he has an 080 - metal case and all. The chain was sharp, so I don't know what the problem was, we will have to assume a lack of experience, but I got the job finished up, no problem. Took home some nice cedar and resawed it on my bandsaw - the shop smells good now, by golly!

I wanted to take a picture of the 080 as it was the first one I have ever seen, but was pressed for time. Plus I need to stay focused - apparently saw collecting is as serious an affliction as needing the occasional fix of wood chips and 2 stroke exhaust. But all this talk about old saws has me almost ready to reassemble and prep my old Stihl electric just for kicks - more for sentimental reasons than anything else - it used to belong to my late brother, so I can run it and think of him - talk about a tree surgeon! Hoowee!!!

There was another thread about someone collecting old saws - I have an old Husqvarna, probably from the '80's, a 2150, if memory serves, that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. It is pretty well used up, it certainly served me well, but it is time to make room for shiny new saws in the shed. Anyone interested?

Hi there, I hope I wasnt portraying any dangerous sawing practices in my last post, I was just reliving how it was and how I felt while I was doing it. Please dont try to emulate my story. It took me 20 years of continual saw use to do something that stupid. Always wear chaps and hearing protection and dont forget the cool sunglasses.
I am eagerly awaiting the Clearwater revival at Dennis's place in Clearwater B.C., and as the cook I have the right to invite anyone that wishes to attend. I have met Dennis in Clearwater and it is the perfect place to go. He lives on the Thompson River where you will find the best canoeing and fishing anywhere in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. The weather during July there is warm, lazy and sunny and a beautiful 68-72 degrees.
Rotax Robert of Enumclaw Washington will be the MC and will have at least 4 saws including his 400 lb. Predator V8 hotsaw.
The more people there the better regardless of what saw they have or their experience. I would like it to be a given that Walt, Art, Ken, Johnny Walker, Rick, Mike, Dozerdan, Darin,Jonathan Hobbs, Marty, Russ, Hardwood, Fish, Electroluxman, Turbinotto and so on and so on will attend including everyone on the TSF and here including Rotax's buddy Spike who recently acknowledged his birthday. Plus, I want you all to witness me kick Roberts butt when do the out of box chain boogie on a 24 ft. log. On the menu for the first night will be buffalo meat rigatoni.
See ya's there,
John

Hey Gyro do you take the dogs off all your saws or just the ones you are trying to behead yourself with? I just took them off the old 55 and like it better, makes the 16" bar more practical

Hi Huskyman, I think the dogs were taken off when I first met EHP and was showing off one of my first modified saw to him, I think in 2001. This was when I called Fish and held the 088 right to the pin over the phone.
John

Latest posts

Back