Jonsered 2050 and Husqvarna 45 Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, Peeps! In the spirit of "learning stuff about saws" I thought I'd share this with you.

Among the chainsaw junk I recently purchased, I got a Husqvarna 45 and a Jondered 2050. Neither of them was complete, but I did know that they were mostly the same chainsaw and, together, I had nearly all the parts to build a whole saw. Mind you, this was really the first time I had mucked about internally with a Jonsy of the this vintage, and it was my first foray into the Husky 40/45/49 as well. I didn't have much time to do a big project (the 026 is waiting for a nice relaxing block of time) so I though I'd see what I could do with these little guys.

I knew they were homeowner models and, as such, they have a plastic cradle that holds the crankcase, but check out the pic. The plastic cradle actually forms the bottom half of the crankcase! I realize this is old hat to some of you, but I was surprised that they chose to do it this way and I was even more surprised that it works! I would have though the difference in materials expansion would be a big obstacle.

The good Husky 45 piston/cylinder/upper crankcase half went into the Jonsy just fine and after fooling with a rather difficult intake setup (sheesh!) the saw assembled well. It got a new fuel line, starts easy, runs well, and has great compression. I am having a bit of trouble with the throttle cable, as it does not take up enough slack to pull the carb butterfly valve open to WOT. The cable is routed down and back along the spine of the back handle and is a bit odd in itself.

The saw is complete but for a chainbrake...if anyone has one floating around, I'm interested.

Anyhow, we don't hear much about these saws on the site, and I thought a few of you might find this interesting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very cool Andre. Ive never messed with any Jonsereds or many Huskys. Its interesting that they share parts.The crankcase reminds me of a 012/023/025 setup. I dont see what the problem would be having the pan being plastic. other than holding the bearings I see no structural need. What do they call them "frankenstein saws" Now that you morphed two into one.:clap:

Thanks for the pics.I've got a 2050turbo I've been runnin' for quite sometime.
Great little saw.Wearing a 16 with .325 chisel.
I use it when I need to let the 028S cool down.
Very smooth saw.

I just opened up a 520SP that has the same clamshell design.

I will always have a spot in my heart for the 2050, as it is the first saw that was mine alone. And btw, the 345, 340, 350, 2150, 2145, and 2141 are built the same way (plastic lower case).

I will always have a spot in my heart for the 2050, as it is the first saw that was mine alone. And btw, the 345, 340, 350, 2150, 2145, and 2141 are built the same way (plastic lower case).

The 2050 was my first saw, too. crazy, huh? Most other 2050's were red with black trim. Mine was red with black accents.:laugh:

Hey Andre, not hard to fish a dropped screw out of that crankcase, huh?

Last edited:
Glad you fellers chimed in. There's not all that much on AS about the 2050 or the other similar saws. The construction puzzles me a touch, but what do I know. I figured I'd find a metal clamshell design (021, 029, old Macs, and the like). The saw is the picture of simplicity as far as the engine goes.

I am pretty impressed with how easily the saw starts and runs.. it seems like a very reliable saw. There are some old threads that show some discourse between Pes+ and Niko that indicate the saws are actually derivatives of the Partner design (they are basically grown up Parter 400s). What little I found was pretty interesting.

Anyone have a clue about the throttle cable design? The trigger movement doesn't take up enough cable slack to move the linkage to WOT. This thing really screams by just moving the linkage. I can easily fix it by just blocking the cable housing inside the handle (artificially lengthening the housing) but I figure if there's a "proper" fix, I should do that. I can't wait to find a clutch cover so I can put this thing to wood. The saw is VERY light!

Thanks for the input!

Glad you fellers chimed in. There's not all that much on AS about the 2050 or the other similar saws. The construction puzzles me a touch, but what do I know. I figured I'd find a metal clamshell design (021, 029, old Macs, and the like). The saw is the picture of simplicity as far as the engine goes.

I am pretty impressed with how easily the saw starts and runs.. it seems like a very reliable saw. There are some old threads that show some discourse between Pes+ and Niko that indicate the saws are actually derivatives of the Partner design (they are basically grown up Parter 400s). What little I found was pretty interesting.

Anyone have a clue about the throttle cable design? The trigger movement doesn't take up enough cable slack to move the linkage to WOT. This thing really screams by just moving the linkage. I can easily fix it by just blocking the cable housing inside the handle (artificially lengthening the housing) but I figure if there's a "proper" fix, I should do that. I can't wait to find a clutch cover so I can put this thing to wood. The saw is VERY light!

Thanks for the input!

Maybe the info in that PM will help out?

The basic design was the Partner P400 - lots of different models was based on that one.....:)

It was the first saw to use "plastic" anywhere near that extensively - but they still hold up pretty good.

Plastic and "plastic" can be very different regarding how they hold up..........

"Turbo", "Air Injection" etc entered the picture much later, but also was a Partner design.

Last edited:
Back