Jonsered 2159 vs Jonsered 2156

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crozier

crozier

ArboristSite Lurker
I've been using Jonsered chainsaws for about 20 years (520,535). I'm looking to upgrade. Has anyone run the 2159 and the 2156? What are the pros and cons of these saws. I'll use it mostly to cut fire wood and locust fence posts.

I notice a lot of places do not sell the 2156. Why?

crozier

crozier

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for the welcome Sawtroll!

I clicked on the tread but nothing came up. Is the link right? I'm not able to try out either of these saws where I live but I think I will get one or the other. The 2156 is about $90. more expensive, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Blowdown1

Blowdown1

ArboristSite Operative
Crozier, the 2159 is essentially the same as the Husqvarna 359, so search for stuff on that and you will find a lot. I love my 359 for firewood and woodlot cleanup of lots of blowdowns from Isabel still. I think the 2156 might be the twin to the 357, so take a look at that info too. Lots of guys here seem to think the 357 (and likely the 2156 then) is not worth the extra $$, and if you spent that money on having a good saw builder tweak the 359/2159 you would have as good or better saw for less money.

You're lucky that you have at least one Jonsey dealer over in your part of the state.

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Blowdown1 said:
Crozier, the 2159 is essentially the same as the Husqvarna 359, so search for stuff on that and you will find a lot. ........ I think the 2156 might be the twin to the 357, so take a look at that info too.
That is basically correct, but there are some differences between the Huskys and Jreds. Most notable is the more streight across front handlebar on the Jreds. The Jreds is typically available in more different versions than the Huskys - at least in theory. The Jreds sure looks prettier! :)

2156 and 357xp is rated at 3.2 kw/4.4 hp, 2159 at 3.0 kw/4.1 hp and 359 at 2.9 kw/3.9 hp. The 59 cc saws reputedly has a slightly broader powerband. The difference in rating of the 59 cc saws has not been verified by any independent source. The only tests I have seen reported 2.9 kw max output for both.

The link I posted works fine when I open it. It was a search result after entering "2156 2159" in the search window, try to do that yourself.

Also do as Blowdown said, and search on info on the Husky versions.

Last edited:
crozier

crozier

ArboristSite Lurker
Jonsered 2156, 2159

Blowdown, I'm only 15 miles West of richmond (I live in Crozier, not Crozet, ever been to the North Pole steak house?). So no Jonsered dealers nearby, that I know of. Bought my last saw from Ed's small engines in Powhatan and the're gone. The dealer in Scottsville did not have one I could test run, don't know of any other dealers except one in Harrisonburg who is only open at night.

Sawtroll thanks for the help with the tread. I read many of those links. That 2159 sounds like a good bet.

Are most of thos guys running .325 chains or the 3/8? Not sure which way to go there.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
.325 vs. 3/8

More reading matter for you, Crozier;

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=24342&highlight=.325%2A+3%2F8%2A

Make sure that you follow the link in post 13, and read that tread too!
:angel:

To answer your direct question;
I run 3/8" on my Stihl and Jred, and .325 Narrow Kerf on the Husky.
I am pretty sure that I will try .325 also on the Stihl in the future as
I suspect that it will be faster, at least in smaller wood.

Blowdown1

Blowdown1

ArboristSite Operative
oh, same thing

crozier said:
Blowdown, I'm only 15 miles West of richmond (I live in Crozier, not Crozet, ever been to the North Pole steak house?).QUOTE]

OK, so they are about an hour apart. Details, details. I've been by NP, but never been in. Looks like a real sleeper, but I have heard they actually have good food. I'm east of town, so actually about an hour from there.

Anyway, is the Scottsville dealer the closest? Jonsered's website used to have a dealer search, but now it says to call or email them.

As for SawTroll's comments, yes they are some purtty saws. The handlebar arrangement seems to be a matter of personal preference.

crozier

crozier

ArboristSite Lurker
Blowdown,

Scottsville is the closest that I'm aware of. Jonsered does not make it very easy to find unike other sites where you can put your zipcode. There is one listed by Jonsered in Richmond, but they don't have any saws in stock. They can order one for you if you want.

If you live any where near Bottoms Bridge or Rte 249, I know why your handle is blowdown! I work for the power co. and spent 15 days working between West Point and Gwinn's island during Isabell!

Blowdown1

Blowdown1

ArboristSite Operative
Crozier, who is the dealer in Richmond, do you recall? Given they are essentially the same engine as Husky I wouldn't be afraid of finding service, just a matter of a dealer willing to deal with them.

I'm actually in Varina, but yes, you hit it on the head. 52 (arborist estimate) trees down after Isabel on just under 3 acres, mostly as a result of all the rain we had keeping the ground soggy. Now that I have planted some replacements we are in a drought. Go figure.

crozier

crozier

ArboristSite Lurker
Richmond Jonsered dealer

Blowdown,

The place in downtown Richmond is called Automatic Chainsaw Filing. If you call the Jonsered 800 number they are listed as a dealer. I called them and they don't have any Jonsereds there. They will order one for you. I may stop by there in the near future to see what the operation looks like. If I decide to get a 2159 I might get a price from them as well. They are located on 10 S. Madison St. Phone is 804 643 8637. I'll let you know if I go there.

Blowdown1

Blowdown1

ArboristSite Operative
Crozier, that place is an odd little hole in the wall. It is like walking into somebody's garage filled w/ junk. I don't know much about them other than they will do good on pricing and I think they might actually do the service for another Stihl dealer in town (Pleasant's Hardware), but not sure of that. I do know that Pleasant's jobs out their service. It was one of their guys that told me about Automatic Saw and mentioned that you'll get a different price quote every time you call the guy. Regardless, it might be worth the trip.

Latest posts