Jonsered 49 sp.....I inherited and I'm clueless

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK! What is "Ratio Rite Cup". The Owners Manual for a 49 never gave a fuel mix ratio.

OK! What is "Ratio Rite Cup". The Owners Manual for a 49 never gave a fuel mix ratio.
Google "ratio rite". A graduated cup that allows you to measure oil for various mixes. Pick a ratio and gas volume, fill with mix oil to the line.
Or, you can calculate. 128 divided by your desired ratio = oz of oil per gallon. For example, for your 25 to 1 ratio, 128/25 would require 5.12 oz of oil per gallon.

I don't recall a fuel mix ratio in the manual either, how did you determine 25 to 1?

It also refers to using other 2 stroke oils at a 20:1 ratio. Mix your own poison, I'll stick with good 2 stroke at 25:1 thank you.

Ray,
Loved the attachment.

Dave

Attachments

• Dougie......jpg
    Dougie......jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 4
cntrybo2 - I was afraid I'd get answers like that. I grew up cutting down trees in the woods with my grandfather and uncles but was never shown how to refuel or maintain one - my job was to saw and split. Thanks though - I appreciate the response.
Here is what id tell my Grandson.
Remove the two bar nuts. Loosen the chain and remove the bar and chain mix 4 ounces of Two Cycle oil ( Not The Marine type) into ONE gallon of high octane gas. Non ethanol if t can find it. Mix the oil and gas well. Shake the container you put the oil and gas into the saw gas tank Add the gas to the chainsaw fuel tank NOT the bar oil tank. Add any clean motor oil (for this test) onhand to the var oil tank. This saw used MIXED fuel. Never STRAIGHT GAS. Make sure the ON SWITCH IS ON. set full choke locking the throttle trigger open. pull the handle trigger a few times to make sure it's freely moving and find the way to lock the choke using the trigger some saws do it that Way Choke the saw. Pull crank rope twice. Did saw pop like it wants to crank? No. Pull two more times. No go. Set choke HALF OPEN. pull 6 more times. Did motor make a pop at all. Yes hold throttle open pull 6/8 more times with choke half open. If saw starts run it high idle for about 4 minutes DO NOT RUN it WIDE OPEN. Let motor idle if it will. Remove side plate check for oil. It looks dry. Saw may not be oiling. Did you put the oil in the oil tank? Did you put Gas in the var oil tank?
Do this test WITHOUT THE CHAIN on the saw. Make sure you know exactly which tank is the gas and oil tank. Before adding anything the oil tank should feel oily inside. Now. If you had bad luck. Now get help. If you got lucky the saw cranked and oiled. Go on YouTube watch videos. Learn how to put the bar and chain properly. Everytime you put a chain on the TOP of the Bar should have the chain Teeth pointing TOWARD the tip of the bar. With a gloved hand a properly installed and adjusted chain can ve PULLED through from in front of a DEAD NON RUNNING MOTOR toward the bar tip away from the operator. When cutting those chain tips ON THE BOTTOM of the bar point back towards the chainsaw. That's why chips fly back towards the saw. Get some help somewhere. Use proper safety gear. There are books. Any chainsaw manual should have some information that can help point you into the right direction. BC fallers might have Video on line. Please study some before saddling that horse. It looks easy when a well trained guy plays the piano or flies an aeroplane or runs any equipment but I promise you. Death, injury and scars are easy to find. Please find someone with experience before you start cutting. With the bar and chain off almost anyone can test the saw but once the killing stuff is attached the grim reaper goes on standby.

Back