Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70e????

Gee Brian that sucks. You know what they say about loaning saws out? Now the BIL has two crapped out saws!!
First thing I would do is change the spark plug to one that is known to be OK, new or used. Second, pop the muffler and make sure the problem isn't a mechanical issue (scored P&C). If that checks out return both H&L to the startup setting (one turn out) and see if that helps with the starting. If it does retune the saw. If not, the next thing I would look at is the screen in the top of the carb. This can be checked without removing the carb just pull the 4 screws in the top and remove. Near where the fuel enters the carb there is a tiny screen down in a 1/4" round hole. Make sure that is clean. Also examine the fuel line and filter for cracks, pin holes and filter clogging. If the screen is clean and the rest of the fuel delivery system is in good order then I would check the carb bolts for tightness and also the cyl base bolts. If you find the cyl is in fact loose you may have to make a new gasket as they are quite thin and if the cyl gets loose they usually end up with breaks. (air leaks!!)
Is your 70E the newer model (Alum fan) or the older model (Plastic fan)?
If it is the newer model check the air gap between the coil and flywheel. It should be 0.012" in both places. If it's the older model check the electrical connection between the recoil and the case. This sometimes becomes dirty or loose and doesn't make good contact. On both models look the wire to the kill switch over for any wear or breakage. That's the easy stuff.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Gee Brian that sucks. You know what they say about loaning saws out? Now the BIL has two crapped out saws!!
First thing I would do is change the spark plug to one that is known to be OK, new or used. Second, pop the muffler and make sure the problem isn't a mechanical issue (scored P&C). If that checks out return both H&L to the startup setting (one turn out) and see if that helps with the starting. If it does retune the saw. If not, the next thing I would look at is the screen in the top of the carb. This can be checked without removing the carb just pull the 4 screws in the top and remove. Near where the fuel enters the carb there is a tiny screen down in a 1/4" round hole. Make sure that is clean. Also examine the fuel line and filter for cracks, pin holes and filter clogging. If the screen is clean and the rest of the fuel delivery system is in good order then I would check the carb bolts for tightness and also the cyl base bolts. If you find the cyl is in fact loose you may have to make a new gasket as they are quite thin and if the cyl gets loose they usually end up with breaks. (air leaks!!)
If it is the newer model check the air gap between the coil and flywheel. It should be 0.012" in both places. If it's the older model check the electrical connection between the recoil and the case. This sometimes becomes dirty or loose and doesn't make good contact. On both models look the wire to the kill switch over for any wear or breakage. That's the easy stuff.

What he said. NEVER loan out a saw, especially to a BIL. :mad:

Thank you for this VERY thorough list. I understand all of what you listed, I will go through it over the next few days I hope. It is the metal version flywheel.

Thanks again.

BIL is twice my size and good to my sister so I had NO choice...:)

So Ulticor is Jonsereds name for a XP?

Not really. They threw the Ulticor label on any saw with a magnesium case. The 2152 and 2159 have no XP Husky counterpart. It is just a marketing strategy come up with by drunk Swedes. There is no difference between a 2171 with or without the Ulticor label.

It doesn't make sense.

Last week, I finally did find a 601 to add to the collection.

Musta have been a heck of a small firewood saw in those days. All Magnesium, of course...

601asmall.jpg

601g.jpg

Last week, I finally did find a 601 to add to the collection.

Musta have been a heck of a small firewood saw in those days. All Magnesium, of course...

601asmall.jpg

601g.jpg

Nice saw! That was the first saw my dad ever used. He cleaned out deadfall from flooding at the Red River. I almost bought one several years ago. I was outbid at $40(all I had at the time). I think the hands would get numb after awhile on that saw!

Went iooking for a new saw yesterday. Had a 621 I bought new in 1978. Oldest son lost track of it about 8 years ago. Loved that saw, so decided to look at Jonsereds again. Dealer showed me a Jonsereds 2255, and a 2165, and a Dolmar 6400, and an Echo 680. This is What he had in stock in the range I was interested in. I am currently using my dad's and FIL's stihls, ms210c(too small), and and one of the farm boss saws(too far away). I usually saw some every weekend, 4-5 cords for the stove and a couple of fence rows to maintain. The 2255 was under 400$, 600$ for the 680 and 2165, 630$ for the 6400. He also said the 2 Jonsereds had some additional discount if I traded in a junker. Any thoughts on which one would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not an answer really!!

This doesn't answer the question you asked, but if you are able to work on saws some why not save most of that money and pick up another good used 621 for $100.00 or so. They work just as good today as they did back then, maybe even better with modern two stroke oil and Sthil chisel chain. I mean if you like the one you had that much. Just a mater of keeping the fuel system in order and the points clean. Mine all work super. I like 621's better than the new plastic stuf. Just my $0.02 worth. Good luck:cheers:

Went iooking for a new saw yesterday. Had a 621 I bought new in 1978. Oldest son lost track of it about 8 years ago. Loved that saw, so decided to look at Jonsereds again. Dealer showed me a Jonsereds 2255, and a 2165, and a Dolmar 6400, and an Echo 680. [...] Any thoughts on which one would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have any experience with the Dolmar or Echo, but I love my 2165. I picked it up last year off Craigs List. It's got plenty of power for most things and is as light as my 49sp. The chain brake works much better then the one on my 630. (If you care about a chain brake, which I do for general firewood cutting.)

That's my $0.02...

Thanks for input guys. I am looking for another 621, just never that many jonsereds around here, keep watching ebay but shipping costs eat up saw money. Nothing on CL or the local pawn shops. As for the new saws, dealer said he'd be happy to to order anything I want. Out of the four saws, the 2165 felt the best in my hands. 6400 and 2255 were close 2nds. Didn't like the feel of the echo.

Thanks for input guys. I am looking for another 621, just never that many jonsereds around here, keep watching ebay but shipping costs eat up saw money. Nothing on CL or the local pawn shops. As for the new saws, dealer said he'd be happy to to order anything I want. Out of the four saws, the 2165 felt the best in my hands. 6400 and 2255 were close 2nds. Didn't like the feel of the echo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JONSERED-CS-216...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48385df4c0

Latest posts

Back