Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigbadbob

bigbadbob

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
attachment.php

attachment.php

This showed up on my doorstep, what is it??
Was running not long ago.
Also with those brass filters I wrote a thread on rebuilding a carb that was plugged by the fine sawdust that was let thru the filter..

Cantdog
Yep a later model 621 and by the wear patterns I expect a fairly low hours one at that. Other than all the dust and crud (and broken clutch cover) it looks to be in real good shape. The previous owner probably coundn't it to cut a lot with it with the dogs on upside down!!!LOLOL!!!! On the serious side it looks like a nice little project with rather predictable results. It should clean up very well. Good luck!!

Cantdog
Here is the filter in my 70E. Judging by the clamp and the spring clamp on the other end of the fuel line (carb end) I am pretty sure this is OEM. Should I look for a NOS one or can I go with a more modern one that won't break down?

attachment.php

Yes Brian that is original filter. When you could get parts you only replaced the felt. Remove the screw in the end and the black plastic cap and the felt slides right off. The sintered bronze inner filter remained. The felts are NLA from Tilton's. However there are replacement aftermarket felt filters out there but they are worse than the stock ones as they don't have the inner bronze filter to keep the felt fuzz out. However I have removed the felt from these and cut it to the correct length and used it on the stock filter. Of course the easiest and most frequently used method is to replace the whole assembly with a late model Husky type filter.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cantdog, I just bought a felt Walbro filter and asked about the replacement felts. The shop said they can buy a box of complete filters cheaper than they can just the felts. The filter was about 1/2 the cost of just the felt.

Cantdog
Cantdog, I just bought a felt Walbro filter and asked about the replacement felts. The shop said they can buy a box of complete filters cheaper than they can just the felts. The filter was about 1/2 the cost of just the felt.

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: That sounds about right!!! Did you use the felt on your filter or just repleace the whole thing?

Cantdog
Haha! There was no filter on that 630! The fuel line disappeared along with the filter. When I got the saw the line was sticking out the top, and corroded pretty bad.

That sounds like the filter and line on my latest 49. Stuck my finger in the filler hole to grab the line and check the filter and the fuel line just snapped off right where it went through the top. Rather brittle!! Still haven't had time to deal with that one. HAHAHA!!!!:cheers:

briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Better scenario than my SuperEZ. Fuel line is a melted sticky mess from the tank all the way to the carb. Who knows what was put in that thing but it might explain why my dad said "It would run fine for awhile then it acts like it loses all power when it warms up".

Pierreg

Pierreg

ArboristSite Operative
J80 case split

Looking for a safe method to split this saw's case.I have never done one and was wondering what is the best method? Also looking for some misc.621 parts.The "basket case" in the box needs a few odds and ends.That's a later project.Thanks in advance..

briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
70E help

I took the muffler off my 70E because I chopped a piece of rope off in the cylinder when taking the clutch off. (rookie mistake) There is no muffler gasket! Does anyone have one out there?

PES+ got me all the parts I needed before but he seems to be MIA since Nov.

Cantdog
I took the muffler off my 70E because I chopped a piece of rope off in the cylinder when taking the clutch off. (rookie mistake) There is no muffler gasket! Does anyone have one out there?

PES+ got me all the parts I needed before but he seems to be MIA since Nov.

Hey Brian you can get one at any Husky dealer. Just ask for one to fit a 61,266,268,272. That's what I use. Sometimes you have to fuss with the bolt holes a tiny amount but usually they fit perfectly.:cheers:

heimannm
Looking for a safe method to split this saw's case.I have never done one and was wondering what is the best method? Also looking for some misc.621 parts.The "basket case" in the box needs a few odds and ends.That's a later project.Thanks in advance..

I created a thread about a year and a half ago (Dec '09?) on a 910 that I split to replace the bearings and seals. It should do a reasonable job of explaining one way to do it.

There is another thread out there started by Lakeside 53 (sadly he no longer posts here on AS) about splitting an 066 Stihi? it think, really nice job of documenting the task with both home made tools as well as the official Stihl goods.

Try searching a bit and you will find good information available.

Mark

briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes Brian that is original filter. When you could get parts you only replaced the felt. Remove the screw in the end and the black plastic cap and the felt slides right off. The sintered bronze inner filter remained. The felts are NLA from Tilton's. However there are replacement aftermarket felt filters out there but they are worse than the stock ones as they don't have the inner bronze filter to keep the felt fuzz out. However I have removed the felt from these and cut it to the correct length and used it on the stock filter. Of course the easiest and most frequently used method is to replace the whole assembly with a late model Husky type filter.

I got my new style Husky filter today. That being said how do I get that metal band clamp off the fuel line to remove the old filter?