Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, then that is very likely to be what the problem is. You can't use that gasket that comes in the kits. Though it fits the carb bore, mounting holes and impulse corridor of the carb it does not fit the Jonsereds manifold. It leaves a portion of the impulse corridor open to the outside air as it is not large enough on it's outside area. Here are a couple pics. that will show you what I mean or at least show you where to look on your saw.

The first one is what you isolation block looks like on the carb side......notice the funny little passage on the left side...that is your impulse corridor. The gasket must close that off completely. This is actually a 70E intake but they all do it the same way. The diamond shaped gasket leaves this open as it is to small.

The second pic shows both types of gasket...the paper one is the one you need...….of course these are NLA so you can either make one or if you have a Husky dealer nearby pick one up for a 61, 66, 266, 268 or 272 these will work fine.

This may not be your problem but that's where I'd look first as it is an issue that can cause anything from a lean condition to flat out not running at all.

49 SP and 70E Build 088.jpg49 SP and 70E Build 156.jpg

I think what I'm wondering is if the cylinder could have warped due to overheating like a cars heads? I'm apparently going to have to do a pressure test to verify where if any leaks are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I doubt that is the problem though you should check that your cyl bolts are tight.....the cyl base gasket is very thin paper and if the cyl gets loose it doesn't take much to blow it out and again, cause an air/ vac leak.

Robin's talking about the carb to manifold gasket. It's incorrect in the kits you buy these days. Its diamond shaped does not cover the entire manifold impulse channel. The saw will never tune with it.

Husky still sells the correct gasket. It's an entirely different shape. I've posted the correct Husky # before....but it's not on my PC.

Kevin

In these daze of CRAZY prices here's one that doesn't seem to bad.....and reasonable shipping. Other than the piston issue the only other thing I can find is I think this may not be a 90 but and 801 as it has the 801 top cover with the decomp plug...….could be made a 90 just about as easy as finding an 80 top end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-9...242707?hash=item1f0e42c3d3:g:BCoAAOSwOJVej3-m

All the 90's came with decomp. So to have the rubber plug on the top...it's an 801....it's a 90 where someone plugged the decomp and put a rubber plug in the top (less likely)......it's an 80 with a 810/90 top, filter cover, carb elbow to convert it (really not likely). He's either put that 90 sticker on it or that handle piece is from another saw. The clutch cover is a replacement. With saws this old anything is possible to stray from the original. The first 801's didn't have the rubber plug. Then when the 90 came out, they used the same cover for both to save costs and they plugged the 801 cover. That's one way to date an 801 if it has the original top cover as far as 'early' or 'later' production. .

What IS interesting is that it has the correct period full-wrap.....exactly what is/was on my old 80. Includes the unobtainium AV mount under the clutch cover. Love to have that wrap, since a stupid helper threw some wood on top of my 80 and broke that full-wrap on my saw. What I thought would be a simple repair has turned into a nightmare. So much so, that I put a steel full-wrap on the saw that I hate (not large enough diameter and is cut so as not to use that unobtainium AV).

That unobtainium mount BTW in the auction saw, is ruptured on one side making it useless and will rupture the other side from use.

I'd buy the saw just for that wrap to replace mine, seriously. But virus means no money coming in.:nofunny:

Kevin

My phone didn't allow me to see this page until I got on my PC. Robin answered your question with pics! Except that you can still get the gasket from Husky with the right part # (or you could at least last yr). The gasket from Husky is green.

Kevin
Yep not only is it green it's a different shape from the OEM Jonsereds one but works perfectly in it's place.

Yep not only is it green it's a different shape from the OEM Jonsereds one but works perfectly in it's place.

It's cut bigger overall...sticks out past the carb body flange. No biggie, as the inside part of the gasket dimensions are what's important.

If you were crazy anal, you could scribe around an original J'reds gasket on top of the Husky and trim.....lol!

Kevin

Awwwwwwwww.....instant buyers remorse!!! Not really but I couldn't take it....$200.00 to my door and I have a sweet 90 top end in stock (new piston kit and a good used cyl) and a few of those lower full wrap mounts.....I have everything in stock to make this a runner...I think....you never know but I got another one of those "gut feelings" about this one!! Just remembered I also have one of those lower venting, less restrictive West Coast mufflers kicking around !!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-9...242707?hash=item1f0e42c3d3:g:BCoAAOSwOJVej3-m

So this one just fell into my lap!
A guy I work with says he's had it for years and not sure why it won't start so he gave it to me. (Fuel line and filter were missing from the tank)
It's a really nice Jonsereds 90 all original except for the Tsumura bar.
The saw was packed with saw dust and chips in the recoil, flywheel and cylinder so I was worried it was damaged or warped cylinder but it's ok.
6a6c9689b55339bdf7b6aac60caef19d.jpg
66b9a6cc535a240208dceca4b8fced3f.jpg
b38c206af59cba2f849800c1314747bd.jpg

So this one just fell into my lap!
A guy I work with says he's had it for years and not sure why it won't start so he gave it to me. (Fuel line and filter were missing from the tank)
It's a really nice Jonsereds 90 all original except for the Tsumura bar.
The saw was packed with saw dust and chips in the recoil, flywheel and cylinder so I was worried it was damaged or warped cylinder but it's ok.
6a6c9689b55339bdf7b6aac60caef19d.jpg
66b9a6cc535a240208dceca4b8fced3f.jpg
b38c206af59cba2f849800c1314747bd.jpg

Yep that's a dandy....and free is excellent. I can tell it doesn't have a lot of use.....more wear from sitting around than use. My 111S is the same way ....very little use...more paint missing from sitting around with stuff thrown on it etc.

Awwwwwwwww.....instant buyers remorse!!! Not really but I couldn't take it....$200.00 to my door and I have a sweet 90 top end in stock (new piston kit and a good used cyl) and a few of those lower full wrap mounts.....I have everything in stock to make this a runner...I think....you never know but I got another one of those "gut feelings" about this one!! Just remembered I also have one of those lower venting, less restrictive West Coast mufflers kicking around !!

But you east coast guys HATE those full-wraps and I think it outa come back my way....just the wrap....:sweet:

Kevin

Back