Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait a minute, I love my full wraps and I'm East Coast!
47ffb25188b727220507ec7dfa980282.jpg
0459ba4c5e630452be803ed75e5c8f08.jpg
2feb01be1b36f71ae3533c4d84ae79e3.jpg
41df4f8a09f224b7a710afd1fcc17c88.jpg
a9eb32649e714fa495381b37a9fce4f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The third pic down brings back memories....not all pleasant memories either...….I had one exactly like that along with a Lombard "Woodlot Wizard". Both real worn out but would run. The Homelite was actually my fathers and the Lombard mine.....though by 7th grade I took over all firewood processing and he never ran the Homelite again...…..I guess that's when it became mine.....I think he was glad......

Is that full-wrap custom or spec-ed for the saw by Husky/J'red? And does it terminate with an AV down under the clutch cover?

Kevin
It's the new 572xp oem wrap/western kit. Took a little drilling and grinding to fit. I bought the kit for the cover mainly for about $42 to get a side tensioner. 2165/71 covers are going for closer to $70 NOS. Used $40 all day.

So I thought may as well try fitting the wrap handle too. I like the ergonomics of it so far. Fairly tight but plenty of space to get at the clutch cover.

No av except what was original to the saw.

Spent an hour making a new nylon bush for the starter on my 621this morning, it's the only jonsereds I have in running condition.
My 801, I'm experimenting with, rewinding the primary coil and trying to fit a engine bicycle secondary coil which has a transistor module built in.
The 49sp is new to me so I've not opened it up yet but it's not got a spark.
I have a 2054 carcass and 2041 that runs but I need clutch and bits.
Would like to find a decent 2054 to use as spending a long time with the metal jonsereds really tickles my nerve endings, I could get the 61 going but it's just not a jonsereds.

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_135414.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200411_140030.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 1586613179614223693347.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 15866133238522013322514.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 1586613345280892563448.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 18
I think the 2149 with a 346 cylinder is a nice way to get into a ripping 50cc saw on the cheap. Never done it but seeems straight forward enough.

I think the 2149 with a 346 cylinder is a nice way to get into a ripping 50cc saw on the cheap. Never done it but seeems straight forward enough.

I have two of them. The first having the 346ne top end and the second having the rare 346ne non-decomp cylinder. The piston and cylinders are a direct bolt it swap.

It's the new 572xp oem wrap/western kit. Took a little drilling and grinding to fit. I bought the kit for the cover mainly for about $42 to get a side tensioner. 2165/71 covers are going for closer to $70 NOS. Used $40 all day.

So I thought may as well try fitting the wrap handle too. I like the ergonomics of it so far. Fairly tight but plenty of space to get at the clutch cover.

No av except what was original to the saw.

I sort of like the design of that particular full-wrap...the shape, although actually seeing it in the flesh and using it might be different for me.

The newest full-wrap saw I have is the 2094.

Kevin

Spent an hour making a new nylon bush for the starter on my 621this morning, it's the only jonsereds I have in running condition.
My 801, I'm experimenting with, rewinding the primary coil and trying to fit a engine bicycle secondary coil which has a transistor module built in.
The 49sp is new to me so I've not opened it up yet but it's not got a spark.
I have a 2054 carcass and 2041 that runs but I need clutch and bits.
Would like to find a decent 2054 to use as spending a long time with the metal jonsereds really tickles my nerve endings, I could get the 61 going but it's just not a jonsereds.

Honestly, the points ignition in the older J’reds are so well done and bulletproof, I see absolutely no advantage in using a chip anywhere. They can run decades without even opening the little points box.

The chipped saws I’ve run from that vintage just don’t seem to have the full pizzaz of the points saws. No doubt since it’s an aftermarket ‘universal’ concept, it wasn’t specifically designed for any particular J’reds.

Kevin

Honestly, the points ignition in the older J’reds are so well done and bulletproof, I see absolutely no advantage in using a chip anywhere. They can run decades without even opening the little points box.

The chipped saws I’ve run from that vintage just don’t seem to have the full pizzaz of the points saws. No doubt since it’s an aftermarket ‘universal’ concept, it wasn’t specifically designed for any particular J’reds.

Kevin
Completely agree it's a nice system, never had to touch the 621 but the 801 looks like it's sat in a duck pond.
Points are €20 new from Italy, the rest is only available used as I'm sure you know.

Can I get confirmation on the max RPM for a Jonsereds 90? Acres says 10,700 but that seems a bit low for an 87cc saw.

Thanks [emoji106]

Can I get confirmation on the max RPM for a Jonsereds 90? Acres says 10,700 but that seems a bit low for an 87cc saw.

Thanks [emoji106]

Direct from the "Jonsereds MAXIMUM rpm settings" page that Spike60 gave me long ago

11,300 rpm is WOT

Interestingly the 80 and 801 list as 10,600 rpm

Thanks [emoji106]

Not that long ago in here I tach-ed my old 80...twice and showed the results and why my first number was low. Tim (fossil) thought the first number sounded low and he was right. The second time is a good number running on the lean pro side. I wouldn't expect the 90 numbers to vary significantly. If you would like, I can tach my 90 which is bone stock, set to run on the lean pro side.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jonsered-chainsaws.99245/page-469

Scroll down for my comments....at 3/4 out on HIGH, I was right at 11,300. That's where the sweet spot was loggin'....just be sure you're using the best oil mix out there and you have no air leaks like crank seals.

You can turn HIGH in further and get more RPM but I think you'd be crazy to. When I was loggin', believe me, I went right to the edge and that edge with the 80 is 11,300. No tach back in the day but leaner than that shows up on your plugs and also the amount of heat coming from your muffler. My rule of thumb on the big Tilly's is to NEVER screw in HIGH less than 3/4 turn.

Kevin

Completely agree it's a nice system, never had to touch the 621 but the 801 looks like it's sat in a duck pond.
Points are €20 new from Italy, the rest is only available used as I'm sure you know.

I'm so poor with ignition parts on these old J'reds, I don't even bother considering chipping anything. Used to be a LOT of these parts cheap on the Bay....not anymore.

Recently, I had some trouble with my old 80 eating (defunct, no longer working) spark plugs. I chronicled that in here....replaced the coil. It's no small thing to have your plugs destroyed by your ignition system in a saw.

Kevin

Fellas - Trying to find a source for roller tips for old Jonsereds bars - these are for XF's. Diameter of the roller wheel is 59.75 mm or 2.352".

Anyone got any ideas? I"m thinking not too many of these have made it to the states, since XF's were never imported here. The XD/XD Super saws took the same roller tip.

Thanks,

Scott

All - How difficult is it to find a 44 or 66 and what do they normally sell for? Never heard of a 44, but have heard of 66's. Magnus Mattison (he runs the chainsawcollectors.se site) in Sweden is looking for these for his museum. I owe him a favor or two, so if I can find one for a reasonable price, I'll pick one/both up.
Thanks
Scott

Back