Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I retract the Bile and venom: stand-up response from John.

Not like I can complain too loud...I snagged a 90 in the meantime, and got a "parts" 621 on Ebay that really only needed a carb kit and an anti-vibe mount.

Thanks. Oddly enough, the four saws I bought after that on eBay were only fit for the scrap pile.

That's it? six pages and the Jred thread is dead???:cry:

I guess could get some new piano photos.

Thanks. Oddly enough, the four saws I bought after that on eBay were only fit for the scrap pile.

I was thinking of using some worn out cases as small flower planters. Definitely something that might attract attention. A person should be able to get daisy or something like that to grow in the crankcase.

That's it? six pages and the Jred thread is dead???:cry:

JONSEREDS WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry it's an old picture. Some of these are gone and some new ones have arrived.
See if you can pick out PlantBio's 630.

attachment.php

Heres a 510sp I recently got on ebay for $35 shipped. So far its my only jonsered(s). I really want a 670 super.

Seller said it did not run, the only thing I could find wrong with it is there was no air gap for the coil and the carb was dirty. Its also missing a kill switch and the chainbrake doesn't work.

More pictures once its running and has a new bar/chain. I am interested to see how this feels running, the AV seems almost overkill? The rear handle is pretty much independent of the rest of the saw.

87f3_1.jpg

8908_1.jpg

510sp-fw.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry it's an old picture. Some of these are gone and some new ones have arrived.

attachment.php

1st shelf, 2nd from left? The one on the bottom looks like a 625 by the recoil decal. Might be the one 2nd from the right on the top shelf. Nice, new looking handle on that one.

1st shelf, 2nd from left? The one on the bottom looks like a 625 by the recoil decal. Might be the one 2nd from the right on the top shelf. Nice, new looking handle on that one.

I tricked ya, and almost tricked myself. It's the second shelf, second from the right. It's a 630, but it has a 670 filter cover on it. Good eyes on the 625II.

attachment.php

What's the silver top one? Second row up third from right...

I have a varity of saws from Husky, Homelite, Poulan, Pioneer, Olympic and Efco but I want a Jonsered. I don't have any rational reason since I've never been up close and personal with one. Just always wanted one. Got to go check Craigs List now....

What's the silver top one? Second row up third from right...

The handle tells me that it is a 601? I did not know that they had the same air filter style as the 621 and 80.

Am I close? :D

Yes it is a 601. They are basically a non-anti-vibe 621. I finally got a trigger for it after looking for over a year and a half. I had to buy a whole box of 621/601 crap (and I do mean crap) to get it, but it was worth it. I'm still looking for a handle with the black tube grip on it, but at least mine is complete and useable.

I have a few, 2050, 621 (2), 910, 930; all great running saws and pretty handy to use.

The first new saw I ever bought was a 621 and after running it hard for 26 years I finally failed the PTO side bearing. Before AS I didn't realize the tricks to splitting a case so that one was a very hard lesson to take.

I still believe that the 621 has to be among the best designed and built saws ever. Sure they are a bit heavy and slow compared to today's 50-60 cc saws, but I doubt a newer saw could ever provide the years and years of hard work the 621 is capable of.

And I'm a McCulloch guy...

Mark

attachment.php

attachment.php

:cheers:I agree heimannm the 621 is certainly a well designed and built saw. In 1977 I wanted one so bad but $$$ were low. I bought a new 49sp instead and was very happy with it for many many years. That was the only saw I ever bought new and I just wore it completly out. I still wanted a 621 though. Now I have two 621s and six 49sps. However I also have three 52s. A pair of 52Es and a straight 52(points ign.) What I have come to believe is that the 52 is a super little saw but you don't hear much about them. They fit right in between the 621 and the 49sp. They are designed and built just like the 621 but with a 49cc motor. The straight 52 carries the same type of ign. and the exact same points as the 621. It also has a two ring piston same as the 621 and boasts a closed port cyl like the 621. It has the same rear handle as the 621. They came stock with a 3/8 chain like the 621. All on a 49sp case. In my (limited) opinion, What could be better?? It just astounded me to find what an unsung hero this little saw was.:cheers:

But I still really like my 621s.

I have a few, 2050, 621 (2), 910, 930; all great running saws and pretty handy to use.

The first new saw I ever bought was a 621 and after running it hard for 26 years I finally failed the PTO side bearing. Before AS I didn't realize the tricks to splitting a case so that one was a very hard lesson to take.

I still believe that the 621 has to be among the best designed and built saws ever. Sure they are a bit heavy and slow compared to today's 50-60 cc saws, but I doubt a newer saw could ever provide the years and years of hard work the 621 is capable of.

And I'm a McCulloch guy...

Mark

attachment.php

They sure are among the best, when you consider the year they were introduced! :agree2:

Mine is a 1970 one, and obviously older than yours (they changed a bit over time) - it is still going strong, and is surpricingly fast for an old 56cc saw - it really needs a 3/8x8 to perform though, and that was standard.

:cheers:

Last edited:
The dealer that sold mine to me packaged it with a 16 and 24" bar and included an 8T sprocket for use with the 16, 7T for use with the 24. I was pretty diligent to switch sprockets with the bars for a lot of years and the 24" bar, sprocket, & chains got limited use.

I do run an 8T 3/8 .058 chain with 16" bars now and put the 24" with an 8T on my 930. That is also a pretty nice set up!

Along with the saw I got the Carlton File-O-Plate that I still have and use, a simple little tool to put in the clutch to hold it while changing the sprocket, and a grease gun to inject grease into the bar sprocket bearing and remarkably I still have an use all those items.

I think the only real change I've made on any of the 621's I've owned is replaced the bar nuts with ones that measure 17mm across the flats. We use these at work and so I have an ample supply; I just made sure to include a 17 mm wrench in the chainsaw tool box along with a few spare nuts.

Mark

No scrench I have fits the bar nuts of the 621, so it has its own wrench in the tool box - I never really looked into replacement ones. :)

They sure are among the best, when you consider the year they were introduced! :agree2:

Mine is a 1970 one, and obviously older than yours (they changed a bit over time) - it is still going strong, and is surpricingly fast for an old 56cc saw - it really needs a 3/8x8 to perform though, and that was standard.

:cheers:

I think mine must be close to that old. Of the ones I have or have worked on, there were a few crankcase changes. My original 621 had the tank vent run through a hole that was machined just above the clutch. On later models, I see that the tank vent hose runs under the intake plate. When the chain brake option was introduced, the case was cut-out above the clutch in order to have that as an "add-on". They are just plain bulletproof. I like using mine for bucking, but prefer a lighter saw for limbing. I am starting to "feel" the weight difference after a day of cutting.

Back