Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey cantdog I believe there is a 4 or 590 jreds and a partner 500 for sale on Kijiji Ontario. If interested.
Thanks but I'm all set!!! I got this one for parts on the cheap. But it ;looks like it gets in line with about a dozen very worthy Jonsereds projects!!

Well the next problem has been uncovered with the 90. The oiler is not pumping any oil. I tried to simply adjust the output screw but no luck.
Any tips on where to start looking on this system before I tear it completely apart.
Unfortunately someone has stripped the hex screw out on the front of the saw so I’m not sure how the heck I can actually get the pump out to check the seals without doing permanent damage to that screw. How hard is it to find a replacement for that thing? Snowballs chance in hell or slightly better?

703CC48C-A4AE-414C-AE21-BF8439933E0B.jpeg48D4B835-64DE-4594-9EC9-F47CCC21EEBD.jpeg

Well the next problem has been uncovered with the 90. The oiler is not pumping any oil. I tried to simply adjust the output screw but no luck.
Any tips on where to start looking on this system before I tear it completely apart.
Unfortunately someone has stripped the hex screw out on the front of the saw so I’m not sure how the heck I can actually get the pump out to check the seals without doing permanent damage to that screw. How hard is it to find a replacement for that thing? Snowballs chance in hell or slightly better?

View attachment 927549View attachment 927550
First thing to check is to pull your chain catcher off and behind that is a plastic screen/filter and behind that you'll see a rubber tube.... make sure the screen is clean and the hose attached on both ends.

Yeah, that chain catcher is also the oil screen(inside). I can fix you up with that hex sleeve if you get the old one out. It's just holding the pump in....doesn't have anything to do with oiler adjustment....that's the screws job.

Once you get that hex sleeve out, get a really GOOD needle nose pliers and pull hard on the oiler assembly. My guess is that you're just gunked up somewhere in the system. You'll need to flush the tank and everything with like diesel or gas.

Very few of these oilers ever go bad or need anything other than O-rings.

Kevin

View attachment 927549View attachment 927550
I probably have a dozen or more of those Hex caps.....I'll look when I get back to the shop.

Ok oiler assembly is pulled. #3 and #6 Allen key did the trick.There’s was some grit in there but nothing overly terrible as far as debris.
I blew everything out with penetrating fluid and all passages seem clear.
I guess I’ll put it back together and try it again. Hopefully it’s good to go now!

D7657F0A-9F55-43DC-B260-3B5C64FF7AE1.jpeg65B73581-6D8F-495B-A5DB-7B38940E44A4.jpeg5D7E28A1-B54D-4E3B-8BB3-D6BDACA04801.jpegA30F3A2B-0893-4B09-81BE-643179F19FD5.jpegFED1FBDB-0BB0-4353-B3DE-1CF9D95A785E.jpeg

Sorry do you mean to flush the pump or the tank and associated hoses and passages?
Yes, tank & passages....everything, as you've got it down this far.

If it were me.....I'd pull & examine all those O-rings and give the oiler/parts an ultrasonic bath. Re-assemble and soak in bar oil before putting back in the saw.

Kevin

OK guys,now I've got another problem with the 49SP that I didn't have before the seal change.It's smoking like hell like it's sucking bar oil.Is this possible? I know nothing about these oilers.Obviously the saw lay on it's side while I replaced the seals.Could that have anything to do with it?Always gotta have something go awry & bite me in my hindquarters.

Trevor,here's a pic of the condensers that were given to me.The one on the far right looks like the one you showed me,but I think it's some type of generic condenser,it has no markings on it.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 6
Well I think I have the same problem as you Ed. I just finished soaking and cleaning the oiler. I reassembled and gassed it up. I’ve got one hell of a smoke machine now! Is there a gasket that would ally the oil to seep into the crankcase other than the main crankcase gasket?

it seems awfully coincidental that it’s smoking like crazy after cleaning out the oiler ……

That is curious.....I've never examined the cases of a 80/90 split, but my impulse guess is 'no' on a common link between the gas and oil tank. On the big Husky I have though, 'yes'. The manual oiler goes right through the gas tank into the oil tank. There is one O-ring that separates the two. But it's a common problem and well documented.

I've never seen this issue in the long thread here. On the 80/90 IPL the gas tank looks solidly independent. They don't have the right angles in the drawings to see the crank chamber completely. Maybe Robin or Eric have an 80/90 split they could examine for a commonality. I did have an 80 that I parted out, but it had been underwater from some PO fiasco and so I tossed the cases.

Let's see what the guys say......I might have a J'reds carcass somewhere I could split if they don't.

Kevin

The main case gasket is the only one in there. It COULD leak bar oil directly into the crankcase though not likely especially if it wasn't doing it before your oil pump repair. There no way oil could get to the fuel tank or the other way around.
I would rather think oil just got into crankcase the area from all your flushing, cleaning and priming. The only other place that would allow oil into the crank area is a problem with the last (smallest) o-ring on the pump body. Does it pump oil now? Remember it only takes a wee bit of oil to make a whole lot of smoke! If it pumps oil I'd run it some and see if it comes out of it.

Back