Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after some some cleaning with Scott Brite it looks pretty good ...IMHO
I did the redneck test (which I love by the way ) and it floats in and doesn't clunk to the bottom .
I ordered the rings so we'll see what happens!
The cylinder is in nice shape with open ports ...which I believe the PO did because these didn't come that way from factory ...is that correct?
Thanks
Ernie

KIMG2097.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG2098.JPG
    KIMG2098.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 2
820 is closed, 830 and 930 had it open, but I don't have the eyes to tell if that's a really well modded closed port or untouched OEM open.

Well after some some cleaning with Scott Brite it looks pretty good ...IMHO
I did the redneck test (which I love by the way ) and it floats in and doesn't clunk to the bottom .
I ordered the rings so we'll see what happens!
The cylinder is in nice shape with open ports ...which I believe the PO did because these didn't come that way from factory ...is that correct?
Thanks
Ernie

View attachment 972299
Looks somewhat OK, Ernie. Like Robin said, not the best, but usable. Slap some Cabers in there and go. Meanwhile, look for a unmolested used OE psiton that will work best someday.

Bob and Walter(Hill Top Saw Videos) have a long discussion vid on the 800/900 series. I've linked to it in here before on a different PC.

Found it:

Kevin

Ernie- I checked with the guy and he does not think he has the cylinder you are looking for.
Checked also for 111 stuff. None to be found.
You're living in old Tilton territory. Bound to be pockets of NOS Jonsered parts up there not yet in the landfill. It's just the logistical problem of matching saw owners with those parts sources.

Kevin

While I'm on a question role...lol
This is the muffler that came on the 820 but to me it doesn't seem correct...
Im fairly certain I can save the muffler getting the broken bolts out for the deflector.
Whats this shield over the muffler ?
I don't think it could have benefited the saw ...maybe causing the scoring on the piston by restricting the heat from escaping.
Ernie

Attachments

• KIMG2099.JPG
    KIMG2099.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 2
  • KIMG2100.JPG
    KIMG2100.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 2
They were common on Swedish saws. It was to protect the muffler and thought to keep you from being burnt badly as without. The heat part is irrelevant if you're working it hard because that cover plate eventually heats up. But it does protect the muffler from dents.

I left them in place on my big Huskies and they never caused damage by heat to the innards that I know of. They were just part of the landscape.

Kevin

While I'm on a question role...lol
This is the muffler that came on the 820 but to me it doesn't seem correct...
Im fairly certain I can save the muffler getting the broken bolts out for the deflector.
Whats this shield over the muffler ?
I don't think it could have benefited the saw ...maybe causing the scoring on the piston by restricting the heat from escaping.
Ernie
No you're right that's not a correct combination. That is a muffler "skid plate" or protector but is meant to be used with a top exhausting muffler with a square hole exhaust and that muffler is a "West Coast" style with the low, straight through the front exhaust with the 2" square louver plate. The cover should not be used on that muffler. They are a good rig just that is a bad combination being very restrictive.

I didn't bother to blow up the second pic. Yeah, can't put a plate over that screen, has to be a four bolt louver.

The correct exhaust port for that plate muffler would be above the plate like on my large Huskies.

The 801/80/90 have a bottom louver 'west coast' muffler that is less restrictive, but rare. My 80's bottom louver fractured and fell off. I finally found the OE louvers on eBay. I showed a pic here of the new one all buttoned up....that was a happy day!

If the PO was running that plate over that louvered muffler screen, he could have indeed 'cooked' the saw.

Kevin

I was testing a 2016 OE 372xp, not the xtorq crap they forced on us and a clone 2022 OE 372xp pro with 24" buried in pin oak, both on 2nd tanks. Then I thought of the ole girl I rebuilt over winter. She ain’t quad or 36mm stroke. But this does just fine in same wood but only with 20". 670 champ 50mm 34mm Gil2. Only on 2nd or 3rd tank after a refresh on topend and piston kit.

Old girl was right there.

j670pin20.jpgh372oetttttt.jpgh372oettttt.jpg

I was testing a 2016 OE 372xp, not the xtorq crap they forced on us and a clone 2022 OE 372xp pro with 24" buried in pin oak, both on 2nd tanks. Then I thought of the ole girl I rebuilt over winter. She ain’t quad or 36mm stroke. But this does just fine in same wood but only with 20". 670 champ 50mm 34mm Gil2. Only on 2nd or 3rd tank after a refresh on topend and piston kit.

Old girl was right there.

View attachment 972588View attachment 972589View attachment 972590
Yep....hard to beat a good 670 Champ or Super II. Almost exactly the same P&C as the early Husky 268XP and it was always claimed that you couldn't tell the difference between a 268XP and a 272XP as far as power and cut speed with a 24" or shorter bar......once you went by 24" bar length the extra 4--5cc became relevant and obvious.....

I didn't bother to blow up the second pic. Yeah, can't put a plate over that screen, has to be a four bolt louver.

The correct exhaust port for that plate muffler would be above the plate like on my large Huskies.

The 801/80/90 have a bottom louver 'west coast' muffler that is less restrictive, but rare. My 80's bottom louver fractured and fell off. I finally found the OE louvers on eBay. I showed a pic here of the new one all buttoned up....that was a happy day!

If the PO was running that plate over that louvered muffler screen, he could have indeed 'cooked' the saw.

Kevin
It would be easy to see a carboned up exhaust port shedding a lot of carbon due the increased back pressure with that cover over the entire exhaust opening in the muffler. Certainly didn't come that way.....something some know-nothing added.......and likely not many running hours ago either.....

This is what that muffler should look like in running condition.

IMG_1772.jpgIMG_1773.jpg

It would be easy to see a carboned up exhaust port shedding a lot of carbon due the increased back pressure with that cover over the entire exhaust opening in the muffler. Certainly didn't come that way.....something some know-nothing added.......and likely not many running hours ago either.....

This is what that muffler should look like in running condition.

View attachment 972627View attachment 972628
Yep, just someone's cobbled up 'experiment' with parts on hand. Back pressure would have been saw killer...literally.

Beautiful saw, beautiful muffler, Robin!

Kevin

Yep, just someone's cobbled up 'experiment' with parts on hand. Back pressure would have been saw killer...literally.

Beautiful saw, beautiful muffler, Robin!

Kevin
Yeah...thanks that's my 910E. Good story on that muffler. I had bought a box full of misc. NOS Jonsereds stuff and that square deflector was in the mix....wasn't sure what it went to but found an NOS muffler on sawagain he called a "West Coast" high flow muffler and it had the same square deflector. He wanted like $50.00 for it or something but a bit further on he had another NOS "West Coast" muffler with no deflector for $20.00....didn't take me long to put two and two together!!! LOL!!!

IMG_1774.jpg

Yeah...thanks that's my 910E. Good story on that muffler. I had bought a box full of misc. NOS Jonsereds stuff and that square deflector was in the mix....wasn't sure what it went to but found an NOS muffler on sawagain he called a "West Coast" high flow muffler and it had the same square deflector. He wanted like $50.00 for it or something but a bit further on he had another NOS "West Coast" muffler with no deflector for $20.00....didn't take me long to put two and two together!!! LOL!!!

View attachment 972657
Love me a good provenance story!

Very, very sweet 910. Mine will never look that purdy, but they'll work...lol!

Kevin

Love me a good provenance story!

Very, very sweet 910. Mine will never look that purdy, but they'll work...lol!

Kevin
Yep this one is pretty sweet. Got it off ebay a few yrs ago...Looked pretty good but wasn't quite as nice and didn't run due to no spark. I won it pretty easy......like $125.00 shipped maybe. Little wires from the module to the sparkplug/coil were lacking the insulation (As usual) Unplugged them and slipped heat shrink tubing over the entire length of both wires, added a bit of heat with a torch and then new fuel and she took right off and ran perfect. No fuel lines or cab work needed. Clutch cover and muffler were usable but banged up but found the just about perfect clutch cover in the used parts section at Northwoods Saw for $25.00 and the muffler from Sawagain/ My stash. If I remember right the 24" old style Oregon B&C came from Modifiedmark for free as he installed the small dia. bar studs, to use the later large Husky mount bars, on his and no longer need the hard to find 10MM bars. Now I have a couple sets of those studs and need to get them installed so I can put on the brand new Cannon 32" bar I won in some raffle on here.....then she'll be really sweet. I have been on the prowl for a 910EV for a long , long time.....as I have a NOS heated full wrap with the correct lower mount as well. But that model is hard to find and when I do they are very dear and I am equally as cheap.....Like to find a beat one (AKA CHEEP) as I have a bunch of NOS 910 parts to bring one back with. If I can't find one I may just install the full wrap on this one to complete this "West Coast package"....time will tell... Love those 910s.....they have their issues but as long as the operator understands them and can work around them they were/are great saws.

Here's an 801 front lower louver muffler was a dept of forestry saw out of Arizona. It the only out the front louver with no top exit wether square or threaded for the brass screen ive ever seen.
Also has the only true full wrap not the 3/4 with the mostly missing end cap with the lower wrap mount that I've ever seen on an 80/801/90. Which ironically is the same part number for a 910. It isn't on any ipl I have for the 801/90/80 etc...
Only on the 910 ipl.
16471728424173058446647964910998.jpg1647172859732650439097740764514.jpg16471724955808401155482625846525.jpg

Here's an 801 front lower louver muffler was a dept of forestry saw out of Arizona. It the only out the front louver with no top exit wether square or threaded for the brass screen ive ever seen.
Also has the only true full wrap not the 3/4 with the mostly missing end cap with the lower wrap mount that I've ever seen on an 80/801/90. Which ironically is the same part number for a 910. It isn't on any ipl I have for the 801/90/80 etc...
Only on the 910 ipl.
View attachment 972901View attachment 972902View attachment 972900
I've talked about this many times before and shown pics of my original 80 with a full-wrap, the unobtainium mount you pictured and the louvered 'west coast' muffler.

Seller on eBay had listed two louvers for that muffler....they tend to burn up or break over the yrs. There's a spark arrester screen just incorporated behind that. I bought both louvers/screens and made my 80 whole again.

Attachments

• Full-wrap 80.jpg
    Full-wrap 80.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 910e AV.jpg
    910e AV.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 80 louver.jpg
    80 louver.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back