Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only speak for this model of saw but these saws had a metal nameplate with the brand name painted on it and the year and ss number stamped into it. I have yet to see a name plate that has a different spelling than the recoil and clutch cover stickers on intact saws from that era.
Oh, I'm pretty sure that when they dropped the 's', everything matched on a particular saw. But some of the ads could show the 's' even though none of the saws did concurrent with the ad(or not show the 's', but the saw did at the dealer etc). Doesn't matter except to a hardcore collector.

My 910's all have the 's'....but I was told there were a few found without......not sure I believe that without pics.

Kevin

My 82 one I sold to a collector here. Heated handle with S. 4 digit serial.

Wayne Sutton in PNW told me he would get in stacks of them and half be with s and half without. But no year was ever given.

View attachment 1162283View attachment 1162284View attachment 1162285
Yep.....I think it was more like when all the badging came in, the factory stuck that on and also used up what they had. I don't think there was anything official like a serial # cutoff. So I say 'around' 82 and newer.

Kevin

Been a bit, but I have an update on the 49sp.

It runs. Won't idle, but it throttles up flawlessly and sounds like brand new almost. May just need to bump the idle up a little bit but overall, fairly impressed with it running wise. Just need to find a bar..

Also managed to get my hands on a 2050 turbo(I know, not a "true" jonsered..) this one's going to need a lot of work to get going. 1000011200.jpg
1000011203.jpg
At a minimum I know I'm most likely going to have to put seals in along with a new ignition coil.

I'll spare you the "lil j" mini jon saw.

It runs. Won't idle, but it throttles up flawlessly and sounds like brand new almost. May just need to bump the idle up a little bit but overall, fairly impressed with it running wise. Just need to find a bar..

Also managed to get my hands on a 2050 turbo(I know, not a "true" jonsered..) this one's going to need a lot of work to get going. View attachment 1162362
View attachment 1162364
At a minimum I know I'm most likely going to have to put seals in along with a new ignition coil.

Not being able to idle well, given the gas filter and hoses are all OK, is a sign of seals leaking, boot or the case. If it were me, I'd do a vacuum and pressure test on the case. Seals are cheap....if in doubt of their age, replace them.

Been my experience that if I have to move the idle up from where it's always been, there's a lean issue somewhere. Previous owner saw though....anything is possible.

Kevin

Got to working on another saw from this estate sale the other day. Jonsered Pro 35. Fired on prime, does have a broken brake handle and missing hand guard. Incoming from ebay soon.
The fuel pumper diaphragm very stiff on the flaps, replaced with new. Metering side soft and didn't replace, carb was very clean. AFter holding the fuel line lower than the filter to get fuel up I was able to get it runnng off the tank. Will idle and runs WOT pretty good but needs better tuning at idle. Didn't want to keep running it as parts were falling out of the clutch side.

Fought with a frozen handle screw. Once brake parts get here, I'll find a small bar and chain combo to get it tuned correct.
View attachment 1162350View attachment 1162351View attachment 1162352View attachment 1162353
A Pro35 recently brought back to life

Also managed to get my hands on a 2050 turbo(I know, not a "true" jonsered..) this one's going to need a lot of work to get going. View attachment 1162362
View attachment 1162364

THE 49 will not likely idle down without a chain. Nor will it be easy to ever set the idle without the chain.
Dave

Caber has you covered for rings. Piston and boot will be used. Lots of places to try for that, each with its own set of problems.

I wonder if the same intake boots are shared between the 910/920/930? If so, you can add two more models to your search.

Kevin

I revisited the 920 someone dropped off, looks like I will need an intake boot, and at least a set of rings though I'd really like a piston and rings.

Any suggestions?

Mark
Mark….. looking again at your pics I believe those are the notorious thin rings. These would measure .75 mm thick rather than the usual 1.5 mm. If this is the case these are incredibly hard to find… impossible is not an understatement!! However presently there are a set of three on eBay!!

Search Lawn Mower Boneyard LLC
I’d furnish the link but am on my way back from Iceland and am only on my phone.

If they are the regular 1.5 mm rings then, as Kevin suggested Caber has them

You could check the greek for a whole piston assembly but other than that LRB is the only place I’ve heard has them

compression is run able the cylinder needs to be pulled I've seen cerclip missing all kinds of weird piston issues you carb needs to be completely cleaned and reset too heavy carbon build up to any leaking gaskets will stop that saw

$690 for a vintage 49cc saw! Gotta consider the NOS condition, however....

$100 shipping to me.....don't know about the winner. Oh boy!

Kevin
Only $58 and change to me. Seemed to not get any traction at all with zero bids. Someone would want one pretty bad at the starting price even!!! We'll see if comes back and cheaper....

From Budapest....wow. $105 shipping to me. So many ways the carriers could kill this coming from so far away. I'm not into the J'reds this old, but DO appreciate their history and the folks who collect these oldies.

That guy with the 751 clutch cover can put it where the sun don't shine. :p

Kevin

Latest posts

Back