Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked these two up recently within a couple weeks of each other, cleaner/'upgraded' examples of ones I already had, both good runners.

2051 590.JPG

Both of the new ones cost the same $'s. Funny too that both of my others previously shared the space on the shelf next to each other.
The 2051 was from a homeowner whose brother in law originally gifted it to him and was now being displaced by an electric saw.

The 590 was an odd deal, posted on craigslist with a sort of dodgy description...

590 Screenshot 2024-02.jpg

I responded to the add and inquired if it somewhat ran and/or if the starter handle was able to be pulled/moved, and if it moved did it feel like there was any resistance/compression. They responded back with the just first three lines of the add, repeated like 20 times.
Ok... I might just skip this one...
It was originally listed at $100 and got bumped regularly for a month or so, no change in the ad. Figured what he heck, it's fairly local, I'll go check it out. Was by now also a little suspicious of the condition as no one had already bought it at the pretty reasonable asking price.
Guy had a bit of an attitude, got the saw from Dad but knew no details of internal condition. By the shop dust looked like no one had touched any part of the saw but the top handle for a long time. It pulled over with comp but a little stiff, just enough to make me suspect something might be iffy, considering the seemingly evasive description. He didn't want me pulling the muffler. Offered $75 and was flatly refused, no counter offer, left without it.
Ad continued to be bumped for another month, eventually lowered to $80. Ok, I'm wearing down, I'll just go buy it...
I included my phone # and he called me, I literally wondered if I was talking to a different person, was very upbeat and talkative.
I'd been the only one responding to the ad, he didn't remember that I'd been there previously and seemed confused as to why he would have declined my $75 offer.
Shrug... I dunno sometimes...
Saw cleaned up nice, pull start stiffness disappeared after working it a bit. Started right up with some fresh gas, only needed a bit of tuning and a sharpening.

Picked these two up recently within a couple weeks of each other, cleaner/'upgraded' examples of ones I already had, both good runners.

View attachment 1156980

Both of the new ones cost the same $'s. Funny too that both of my others previously shared the space on the shelf next to each other.
The 2051 was from a homeowner whose brother in law originally gifted it to him and was now being displaced by an electric saw.

The 590 was an odd deal, posted on craigslist with a sort of dodgy description...

View attachment 1156981

I responded to the add and inquired if it somewhat ran and/or if the starter handle was able to be pulled/moved, and if it moved did it feel like there was any resistance/compression. They responded back with the just first three lines of the add, repeated like 20 times.
It was originally listed at $100 and got bumped regularly for a month or so, no change in the ad. Figured what he heck, it's fairly local, I'll go check it out. Was by now also a little suspicious of the condition as no one had already bought it at the pretty reasonable asking price.
Guy had a bit of an attitude, got the saw from Dad but knew no details of internal condition. By the shop dust looked like no one had touched any part of the saw but the top handle for a long time. It pulled over with comp but a little stiff, just enough to make me suspect something might be iffy, considering the seemingly evasive description. He didn't want me pulling the muffler. Offered $75 and was flatly refused, no counter offer, left without it.
Ad continued to be bumped for another month, eventually lowered to $80. Ok, I'm wearing down, I'll just go buy it...
I included my phone # and he called me, I literally wondered if I was talking to a different person, was very upbeat and talkative.
I'd been the only one responding to the ad, he didn't remember that I'd been there previously and seemed confused as to why he would have declined my $75 offer.
Saw cleaned up nice, pull start stiffness disappeared after working it a bit. Started right up with some fresh gas, only needed a bit of tuning and a sharpening.
Good deal on the 590 Bill!! Real snappy little saws! Sounds like he finally got his meds straightened out!!

View attachment 1156980

View attachment 1156981

Great story for dodginess! I had a guy call me about rototilling. Was very aggressive and demanding. Said I'd been out there and gave him an estimate and when was I gonna show etc. I informed him I NEVER give estimates because it doesn't pay to drive out to a job twice like that....not enough money involved. I ask a million questions on the phone until I'm satisfied. Then he backed down a little because he was caught lying. He was in another state and it turned out I'd done his space a couple of years in a row long ago anyway, so I knew the job well.

Like your story, he was completely different when I finally got out there and he apologized. Like a different person.....WTF.....

Kevin

Off a Homelite if I'm not mistaken. The bolt in the wrap is a strong indicator as well as both sides being squared off at the corners.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/1ca0e7_e0b85d38530d4fbe8251ede48825ff37.jpg

I can tell you from working big timber on private and National Forest/BLM land sales that these large, squared-off handles went the way of the DoDo. Great for milling I'm sure, but carrying them through the brush, and being cumbersome to flip the saw over, it was easy to see why they got shaved down some with clever ergonomics.

Kevin

Good Job Ernie!!! It's a good day when you learn something new!!! I knew some 70E's were set up to accept the Nordfeller which is easily identified by the raised portion of the top cover forward of the spark plug and the ones not set up for it the top cover was smooth. I always thought it was offered as an add on accessory not to be sold as part of the saw but that add tells a different tale!!! Nice work!!!!

Now I'm wondering if that was an offering not sold in the states? In all the 70E's I've seen and/or used I had never seen the EN designation though I've seen many that came Nordfeller ready.

Good Job Ernie!!! It's a good day when you learn something new!!! I knew some 70E's were set up to accept the Nordfeller which is easily identified by the raised portion of the top cover forward of the spark plug and the ones not set up for it the top cover was smooth. I always thought it was offered as an add on accessory not to be sold as part of the saw but that add tells a different tale!!! Nice work!!!!

Now I'm wondering if that was an offering not sold in the states? In all the 70E's I've seen and/or used I had never seen the EN designation though I've seen many that came Nordfeller ready.
I actually thought about the Nordfeller option. But if the saw is designated 'EN' there should be some remnant of the Nordfeller option on the saw itself. I guess it could have been removed/changed, but still.....

Kevin

I actually thought about the Nordfeller option. But if the saw is designated 'EN' there should be some remnant of the Nordfeller option on the saw itself. I guess it could have been removed/changed, but still.....

Kevin
Well we will see ..a fellow collector friend of mine purchased the saw .
Keep everyone posted....
Ernie

It was a crazy system and very rare. Maybe it was popular with the Swedes, but not in NA that I ever heard about. That's why we've seen so few of them and know so little.

Just dinging around with little trees.......while we had Silvey hydraulic tree jack systems.

Kevin

Boyd Dosher (Boyd's Outdoor Power - Dresser, WI) stopped by today to drop of these display units. He retains ownership but they will be on display here for a while.

20240302_134903.jpg

As I understand it, Tilton prepared these to demonstrate the saw features when they were the US distributor. Have a closer look at the 80 to see just how much effort the put in them.

20240302_134940.jpg

20240302_135000.jpg

At least one of them will still generate a spark...

Mark

Latest posts

Back