Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are XD's

The second one was set up with a post hole borer on it, no markings on the attachment that I can find to determine who made it. The guy who owned them said, "yes, they worked, but sloooowwww"
attachment.php

attachment.php

Chers
Will

That is a 1958-62 85cc saw - a lot happened regarding performance, ergonomics etc through the 1960s - but it sure is a nice collectors item!

Jonsereds XD

Last edited:
Jonsered 80

Can anyone give me some pointers on replacing the recoil spring and pulley on my 80? My pulley cracked this morning and the spring got bent pretty bad:censored: I found the parts that I need, but I'm not sure how to install them. Should I leave this for my local repair shop or can I do it myself?

-Mike

Model opinions

What is a good model in your guys opinion to be on the lookout for that is smaller than my 70E? I want a good saw with a 16" bar that is lighter but has the same reputation. A project saw would be fun...

621 (56cc)
52E, 49SP, 51 (49cc)

I agree that these choices may be your best ones.

While I haven't cut with my 49SP yet, it gets rave reviews from J-red guys and the 621 is currently my favorite firewood saw. I really like how the torquiness (made that one up :D) just muscles its way through the wood.

:cheers:

torquiness: "Tendency to rotate a sprocket on a drive axis resulting in maximum chain sawing pleasure"

What is a good model in your guys opinion to be on the lookout for that is smaller than my 70E? I want a good saw with a 16" bar that is lighter but has the same reputation. A project saw would be fun...

621 - a lot lighter than the 70, but not much less power (.4 hp or so).....:)

What to get next?????

The 621 is the absolute best all around saw the Jonsereds ever produced. Good balance of power to weight for the day.

But whereas you have the 70E I believe from my actual experience you should get one of the 49cc saws as your other saw. I say this because 20 odd years ago, when I first bought and ran my sawmill, I had a partner in this endeavor and he had a brand new 70E and I had a nearly new 49sp. We would selective cut small lots for pine and spruce saw logs, pulp and a fair amount of maple, ash and oak for the firewood trade. When we were in the woods, one of us would fell with the 70 and start bucking saw logs. The other would start limbing with the 49 and work the top down in four foot pulp or fire wood. It was a very good combination and we could put up a number of thousands of BFT on a good day in good cutting. We were yarding with a four wheel drive Long bucket loader with Canadian chains. It was no massive operation but we were young and full of it. Knowing now what I know about the lineup of Jred saws that was available at the time I probably would have had a 52E to go with his 70E but the 49 was what I had and it did the job.
As i have stated before the 52 series, either straight or the E is just a mini 621 in all ways. As much as I have a great affection for the 49sp, it is an SP and not a professional saw. Even thought the 52 is the same ccs it is a much better built saw than the 49sp. They cheapened the 50 series saws to make the 49sp to fill a market. I paid $249.95 for my 49 in 1977 and I think the straight 52 was around $275.00 and the 52E was just over $300.00.

I think the 621 is to close to the 70 to do what you wanted. I think either a good 49sp or 52 would be a good choice for you. Of course IMHO!!!:cheers::cheers:

Geez, I guess I need to run my 621 more often. My problem is that I only have one 621, and it came out "too nice" after I redid it. I do use it now and then, and it is just great with an 18" bar. Very nice balance when set up that way.

And of course, I have four 49SP's, all in equally good shape to the 621, and I run them on a regular basis. I think I'll break out the 621 tomorrow. :clap:

One thing that has to be kept in perspective in discussions like this is that the differences between "pro" and "non pro" saws like Cantdog accurately mentioned, are not as significant today to guys like us who collect saws and have ten times as many as we need to cut our firewood. All day in the woods, the 49 may have had a few corners cut when compared to the 52E and 621. But for the cutting that we are doing with those saws today, they are all more than up to the task.

That's why it's far more unusual to find a pro saw in really great shape than one of the consumer models. Most pro saws went into the woods and were worked hard, and if they survive at all today, they have plenty of battle scars. There are exceptions of course. I've scored a 70E, 90, and 930Super in fantastic shape. And in each case, they were personal firewood saws. I just got a 272XP today that looks like it's only been out of the box for a week, and the story is the same. Guy bought the saw for firewood and hardly used it.

Another thing that we often don't think of here on AS, is that "the average guy" who just cuts his own firewood, usually doesn't do it with a pro saw. What I see in my store today is probably very much the same as when you could walk into a shop loaded with brand new 70E's, 621's, 52E's and 49SP's. (Wouldn't we all like to do that right now?) I'd say that for guys cutting their own firewood, probably 2/3 of them use what we would consider to be non-pro saws, with the other 1/3 stepping up to the pro stuff.

But a 52E is high on my list of "gotta haves", along with a nice 670. Patience always pays off.

attachment.php

My newest addition.

Bob

That is a fine looking specimen! Both paint and plastic look great. Is it a runner?

Speaking of the M36, does anyone know the difference between the one Bob posted and the ones that have the "lil J" sticker on the recoil housing? Are the lil J saws the Lil Jon saws that are posted on the acres site?

Thanks

The more I learn about Jonsereds, the more I want one. I ran Farley's 111S at the PNW GTG, I liked it alot, so much I put an order in for one with my chainsaw guy. I'm thinking that an older one of them 80cc and up would be great.

Bob

That is a fine looking specimen! Both paint and plastic look great. Is it a runner?

Speaking of the M36, does anyone know the difference between the one Bob posted and the ones that have the "lil J" sticker on the recoil housing? Are the lil J saws the Lil Jon saws that are posted on the acres site?

Thanks

621 x4 ? that's not right:cry: or is it x6 now...

Last edited:
621 x4 ? that's not right:cry: or is it x6 now...

Well, it's actually 8 or 9 counting the ones in the garage, but not counting the one that I will likely pick up tomorrow, depending on the price the guy wants.

I have to go and pick up the rest of my saws from the farm that I was at last weekend, and the 621 is about 1/2 hour from there. He has an old Mac as well, but if it isn't old enough then I will pass on the Mac.

That 801 that is listed in my sig gets picked up tomorrow as well. That's the one I am anxious to get in my possession! :clap:

Bob

Thanks

The lil Jon saws are rebaged Poulan 25DA's.

That is a nice looking M36, I have one here that could maybe run, but don't look near that nice.

I did get a Johnny 361 going last week, looks almost that good except the clutch side. The chainbrake handle is broken, but it runs really nice.

The more I learn about Jonsereds, the more I want one. I ran Farley's 111S at the PNW GTG, I liked it alot, so much I put an order in for one with my chainsaw guy. I'm thinking that an older one of them 80cc and up would be great.

A Macman in love.....Hmmmmm, great thing aint' it.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

but....we all know what you mean ...:cheers:

I picked that up by asking at our local value village type of place.
It came in a nice homelite case. Probably an estate.
Someone cared about it as the tank was dry and new fuel in it and runs like a top!! Surprized how well it cuts, loud little thing!!:cheers:
I did dust it off!!

Geez, I guess I need to run my 621 more often. My problem is that I only have one 621, and it came out "too nice" after I redid it. I do use it now and then, and it is just great with an 18" bar. Very nice balance when set up that way.

And of course, I have four 49SP's, all in equally good shape to the 621, and I run them on a regular basis. I think I'll break out the 621 tomorrow. :clap:

One thing that has to be kept in perspective in discussions like this is that the differences between "pro" and "non pro" saws like Cantdog accurately mentioned, are not as significant today to guys like us who collect saws and have ten times as many as we need to cut our firewood. All day in the woods, the 49 may have had a few corners cut when compared to the 52E and 621. But for the cutting that we are doing with those saws today, they are all more than up to the task.

That's why it's far more unusual to find a pro saw in really great shape than one of the consumer models. Most pro saws went into the woods and were worked hard, and if they survive at all today, they have plenty of battle scars. There are exceptions of course. I've scored a 70E, 90, and 930Super in fantastic shape. And in each case, they were personal firewood saws. I just got a 272XP today that looks like it's only been out of the box for a week, and the story is the same. Guy bought the saw for firewood and hardly used it.

Another thing that we often don't think of here on AS, is that "the average guy" who just cuts his own firewood, usually doesn't do it with a pro saw. What I see in my store today is probably very much the same as when you could walk into a shop loaded with brand new 70E's, 621's, 52E's and 49SP's. (Wouldn't we all like to do that right now?) I'd say that for guys cutting their own firewood, probably 2/3 of them use what we would consider to be non-pro saws, with the other 1/3 stepping up to the pro stuff.

But a 52E is high on my list of "gotta haves", along with a nice 670. Patience always pays off.

I hope you are warming that 621 up today!!! Couldn't agree more with your post. Probably the reason there are more used 49sps around instead of 52s is that most folks bought one to clean up the yard or buck a couple cord of firewood and the 52s went to work. I have not found a good 52 yet. The three that I have I've built from used and new parts. They all have great compression and run strong. (another 52E carcass came just now! excellent P&C bad sproket side main)
In my experience there are three basic types of saw buyers.

#1 The pro pulp and firewood guys who have a saw in their hands all day and want something light and fast. More than a few buy saws that are less than they actually require. Usually price is the issue so they buy the cheaper grade saw and then growl when they burn the thing up.

#2 The pro cutter who just has to have the biggest baddest rig he can get his hands on. Is usually using a a 80cc saw limbing, money is no object as long as he has bragging rights.

#3 The guy who knows what he needs a saw for and purchases the correct size for his needs. These are rare indeed. However his saw is not over or underworked and is cared for properly. Probably one of the ones we get to aquire when he is done with it.:):):):clap:

Problems?

I have a Jonsered 621, It supposedly ran before it was stored for some length of time I do not know...

The deal is If I can get it working then It's mine.

It would start, and run for a second or two before turning off, I cleaned it, and took the top off the carburetor, sprayed carb cleaner in it. I really don't know much about fixing saws, but i cleaned the carburetor, and made sure all the hoses were not gunked up, the fuel filter was covered in oil, I'm soaking that in some degreeser, and was hoping to get the saw to start without the little cover.

I got a new spark plug, and it has spark, I'm not sure if it is getting gas in the cylinders or not, I tried starting fluid, and adding a little gas in the spark plug hole, but hasn't really worked.

The air filter is almost pristine, and The filter at the muffler is relatively clean, although I did not remove all the carbon deposits.

My dad said it could have a problem with compression, but it feels like theirs compression when I pull it over.

If this is,or isn't the correct place to post I would appreciate being told.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back