Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice saw dan!

I got a 36" granberg milling kit in the mail today from baileys. Just had time to set up the bar and helper handle but got some pictures before the rain hit.

Thats a 50" bar, hella fun to swing around.

I figured these would be relevant to the interests of this thread?

IMGP0013.jpg

IMGP0017-3.jpg

IMGP0046-1.jpg

I'm going to mill up that pine a felled a few pages back tomorrow. I'll see how the 2188 performs in milling duty.
Great looking saw. Reminds me of King Cotton, my Jonnyred 2094.

Report back on how the 2188 does milling. I'm interested in seeing how it will do.

Report back on how the 2188 does milling. I'm interested in seeing how it will do.

Sorry it took so long to get this up here. I never did mill the pine thats next weekend material. I did however mill up some cherry no my friends land.

The saw actually performed much better then I thought. This was cherry that had been sitting around fro 3-4 years previously so it was pretty dry. Granted we weren't using a lot of the bar going through it. (only a 18" Diameter log)

It cut pretty fast but when both of us put a lot of pressure on it it would bog down. We had to find the magic spot of enough pressure to move through the wood but not too much to bog it down. This was also all of our first times milling.

We cut 3 2" boards, 3 1" boards, and left the bottom as a slab for a bench. One of our 2" slabs got cut warped so we had to use our slabbing rails the next cut to true it off.

OK, prepare for picture fest, I'm the chap with the hat and braces:

The log, nice and small at 18"

IMGP0003-4.jpg

The Slabbing cut is done, some damn nice grain.

IMGP0019-1.jpg

Some pictures of the J-red in action:

IMGP0028.jpg

IMGP0036.jpg

IMGP0042.jpg

IMGP0048.jpg

Re-truing the last board:

IMGP0056.jpg

The Final product, you can see the one warped board in the middle there. It makes the whole stack look off though.

IMGP0064.jpg

Anyways theres my encyclopedia of pictures of today and 2188 milling.

Last edited:
I finally got some pictures of my 2095.Thanks to my new friend oscar4883 . Not only did he sell me a great saw he also went out of his way to pick up some parts for me. What a guy as soon as I am alowed to rep people you can bet on one from me

Thanks

Dan
2095-1.jpg

2095-2.jpg

2095-3.jpg

2095-4.jpg

I just bet that's a very strong, fast saw.......

Yea I think it is .I am no pro but its my new favorite saw. My 820 used to be but the 2095 is a bit lighter and a lot faster. I just ordered a 30" bar and chain for it from baileys about 10 min. ago . I dont usually use one that big but I want one just the same.

Dan

Yea I think it is .I am no pro but its my new favorite saw. My 820 used to be but the 2095 is a bit lighter and a lot faster. I just ordered a 30" bar and chain for it from baileys about 10 min. ago . I dont usually use one that big but I want one just the same.

Dan

Its only fast cause' someone did a REAL nice file job to the chain! :)
Actually missd that saw the other day Dan. LOL

That's good to hear the 2188 did good milling. The 2171 is a sweet looking saw Jwalker. Makes me want to go get one.

so i just read all 23 pages of this thread and my desire to get a 2171 is starting to overcome me. and i dont know why, i've never seen one in person. theres two things in the chainsaw world that people where i live know nothing about: wrap handles and jonsered chainsaws. only a couple dealers within 50 miles. i want to buy either a 372xp or 2171. love the red & black look but not sure of the straight handle bar. one of the local stihl dealers said he used a jonsered about 15yrs ago and he said it was crap, so that's the only opinion i've gotten in person. (not much obviously)

so i just read all 23 pages of this thread and my desire to get a 2171 is starting to overcome me. and i dont know why, i've never seen one in person. theres two things in the chainsaw world that people where i live know nothing about: wrap handles and jonsered chainsaws. only a couple dealers within 50 miles. i want to buy either a 372xp or 2171. love the red & black look but not sure of the straight handle bar. one of the local stihl dealers said he used a jonsered about 15yrs ago and he said it was crap, so that's the only opinion i've gotten in person. (not much obviously)

How close are you to the PA border? There are lots of JRed shops near Erie and Meadville.

about 3 1/2 hrs. the dealer i would use is about 50 miles, as he is the cheapest i called for a 2171 20" bar, $749 if i remember correctly. there is a dealer 7 miles from my house and he wants like $859 or $869! ha! smuck....

My experience with straight handles going from husky to jonsered was that it felt awkward for the first few days of using the straight handle then my body got used to it and now, when I hold a angled handle saw it feels awkward.

I seen one at a southern states coop and it was $650 with 24" b/c. I almost told them to order me one right then, but I held out. I want the 75cc cylinder like the 372xpw. That's the only thing I don't like about the 2171. I would kind of like to keep the saws the same so I don't have one straight handle and others angled.

i'll tell the story the dtihl dealer told me. the dealership is a family owned one and the son runs it now who is about 50 or so. he said several years back a jonsered distributor contacted them about selling the product as a 2nd line. the stihl dealer's brother runs a tree service business, so the johnny dist told him he would give him several of the high end saws to demo in the woods. a few weeks went by and no saws. stihl guys call the dist and asked about the saws. the guy says im not going to give you the demo saws. they ask why and the reply was, "how does your brother deal with pinched chains and how does he handle them while working?" they said either rip the saw out or cut it free, and he runs them very hard but also takes care of them. the dist answered that he wont give them the saws because they would pull the handles off or burn the saw up with the heavy use. hahaha! i like the stihl dealer but sometimes his stories are a little out there....

i'll tell the story the dtihl dealer told me. the dealership is a family owned one and the son runs it now who is about 50 or so. he said several years back a jonsered distributor contacted them about selling the product as a 2nd line. the stihl dealer's brother runs a tree service business, so the johnny dist told him he would give him several of the high end saws to demo in the woods. a few weeks went by and no saws. stihl guys call the dist and asked about the saws. the guy says im not going to give you the demo saws. they ask why and the reply was, "how does your brother deal with pinched chains and how does he handle them while working?" they said either rip the saw out or cut it free, and he runs them very hard but also takes care of them. the dist answered that he wont give them the saws because they would pull the handles off or burn the saw up with the heavy use. hahaha! i like the stihl dealer but sometimes his stories are a little out there....

The rear handle actually was a weak point on some Jreds in the past - but that is history! :biggrinbounce2:

Jonsered cs2137 turbo needs some help.

A friend of mine called me last sunday . He was at a yard sale and the guy had a jonsered 2137 for 40.00 . I asked him if it looked good and ran good?
He said yes so I had him grab it for me . I have a couple larger jonsereds but no little ones and doing all my limbing with the 820 was getting tough. Anyway I picked it up today and it is in need of a little help. I guess my friend doen't look at saws as close as I do. Don't get me wrong I am glad he is looking out for me (you never know the next one he finds for me might be a 090 for 50.00) So heres the problems with the saw I will need a clutch/brake cover (It looks like someone ran it with the brake on and melted the plastic cover) So I will need one of them and the A/V spring on the top is broke( the one that screws right to the cylinder) Other than those two things its pretty nice . If anyone has a parts saw or the parts I need please PM me with a price .

Thanks

Dan
2137-1.jpg

2137-2.jpg

2137-3.jpg

Back