Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And way more available. Since the 49SP was such an odd duck, coils and points are not common, at least in my area.

I did consider cutting the arms off to fix the clearance issue, but I decided "hey, maybe some day I'll find a 49SP with a good coil but a whipped cylinder", so I just swapped it for a 44ZN7 and put the original away in the parts box.

Ahh was just wondering about a clearance issue.....suspected there might be one......did you use the 52 piston too or the 49 piston?

Got a 910 and a 920 at a swap meet, 910 just needed the worm gear off the 20 and a lot of tlc but great saw when I finished her up( one of my keepers for now), 920 parts saw I noticed has the same electronics as a 288, looked at the nameplate and it says Jonsereds which I think the S is for Singer CO. which might explain it and I believe the 910 doesn't have the S on it so must be before the buyout?
View attachment 660154

The 910 should have the s as it was the last and only true Jonsereds design of the 9XX family...the later Jonsered 820/30 and 920/30 added a lot the Partner designs. I have several 910s and all are Jonsereds....

Ahh was just wondering about a clearance issue.....suspected there might be one......did you use the 52 piston too or the 49 piston?

Kept the original with the single ring. It looked pretty new, no tracking or scorching, and the cylinder I took off looked like it had been replaced (with a really bad silicone job), so it wouldn't have surprised me if someone replaced the piston at the same time. It gave me 150-160lbs after the swap, so I was happy enough.

Kept the original with the single ring. It looked pretty new, no tracking or scorching, and the cylinder I took off looked like it had been replaced (with a really bad silicone job), so it wouldn't have surprised me if someone replaced the piston at the same time. It gave me 150-160lbs after the swap, so I was happy enough.

Excellent...just wondering....I have a 49 that came to me with a bad piston and an Atom or similar chip.....I didn't have a decent 49 piston at the time and this was before there even was an aftermarket alternative so I installed a 52 piston, bearing and thrust washers with a new set of Cabers.......it runs strong but I never have really liked the points elimination module....exhaust sounds funny......have extra points plate/condensers and NOS points in stock now so may change it back and lose the chip.

it runs strong but I never have really liked the points elimination module....exhaust sounds funny......have extra points plate/condensers and NOS points in stock now so may change it back and lose the chip.

I have used one of those, but only as a last resort when I was dinking around with a little Remington. Couldn't find a working "all in one" electronic ignition module + coil, and couldn't find points, so I swapped in a standard coil and put in a Nova 2.

They work but... seems like they just don't tune the same way. Like the timing is just a hair off somehow.

Got a 910 and a 920 at a swap meet, 910 just needed the worm gear off the 20 and a lot of tlc but great saw when I finished her up( one of my keepers for now), 920 parts saw I noticed has the same electronics as a 288, looked at the nameplate and it says Jonsereds which I think the S is for Singer CO. which might explain it and I believe the 910 doesn't have the S on it so must be before the buyout?
View attachment 660154

Best info we got is when Electrolux Group AB bought Jonsereds in the late 70’s, they moved production to the Partner plant. However the 910 was purely a Jonsereds design and stayed that way until the 920. Jonsereds engineers were even playing around with a 100cc version of the 910.

Partner influence can be seen in the 920’s handle and then internally the 930 is a Partner/Husky venture. So like Robin said, the 910 is the last purely Jonsereds big cc saw designed from the old company.

Kevin

I have used one of those, but only as a last resort when I was dinking around with a little Remington. Couldn't find a working "all in one" electronic ignition module + coil, and couldn't find points, so I swapped in a standard coil and put in a Nova 2.

They work but... seems like they just don't tune the same way. Like the timing is just a hair off somehow.

My theory is that they are a multi spark thing....that might trigger three sparkings per firing to work with the multitude of motors they will work with...a real compromise and not sure the 49sp coil can recharge the coil that quickly to fire a full spark three times as many as it was designed to......just my own theory and may be total BS but that how it seems to me......the saw just doesn't sound as crisp though they seem to run and cut OK.

Welcome....I am not sure about the 266 to 630 swap.....the cyl will fit fine but if I recall the carb/intakes are different....what I mean is the carb will fit but the 630 uses a reverse bolt pattern than the 266.....the intake bolts to the cyl on the 630 with short bolts then the carb bolts to the intake so the short bolts are in the opposite position to the carb bolts.....on the 266 there are just one pair of long bolts the go through the air horn, carb and intake into the cyl. You just have to use the 266 intake and bolts with the 630 carb.

Yes the 525 and 670 are the only saw in the entire family that use a boot and external impulse line.

The 625 is the same as the 61 Husky with the exception of the intake and impulse. A good, solid, dependable saw. Even though the 625 and 630 are the same bore and stroke the 630 is much higher performance and will seriously out perform the 625 as far as power and speed goes.
Is an early white top rancher,to an orange top 61 a fair comparison Robin?

Is the 910e an equal to the 930 in power?.I have a 910e

Depends who you talk to.....the collectors and casual users are all about the 930 Super as the best of the series. In the pro field the guys I talked to favored the 910E. If you want the complete series then do collect them all. If you're thinking the 930 will blow away the 910, it won't so save your money.

Kevin

Received my 625 parts saw in the mail today, almost in better shape than my 630. Chain brake looks like a different design and is much less flimsy, av in better condition, tank is in better shape. May just be breaking the 625 down to improve the 630. I think this 630 is an early example of this chassis. Excited to do some wrenching on these saws, so far this 630 has been nice to work on.

If anyone needs the boot intake parts from the 625 for one of their projects, chime in. I don't believe I'll need that stuff for anything and I think those parts are NLA.

IMG_20180628_172720.jpg IMG_20180628_172724.jpg IMG_20180628_172731.jpg IMG_20180628_172907.jpg

Is the first digit of the serial the last digit of the year? Trying to suss out dates for these.

The best answer for your question is "sometimes". Your 630 has the silver tag so it was made between 1982 (first year of production) and 1986. The 625 has the black tag so it was made between 1987 and 1991 (when it became the 625II). The silver tags sometimes printed the whole year or the last two digits of the year while the early black tags just use the last digit of the year, although this changed in the mid '90's.

And to go back to one of your earlier questions, I think the 266 cylinder is a direct replacement for the 630. The 268 and 272 are the ones that used different intakes. I could be wrong as it's been a long time since I was swapping this stuff around.

Back