Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides the top covers, I think we figured out that the only substantive differences were the crank bearings.

Yeah, but I wonder if the case itself is different around the 110's crank needle bearings. In other words, could you slip the later roller bearings into a 110 case and/or is the crank the same.........

Scott...if you found that saw when you were in Europe, you should add that as a provenance thing in the auction!

Kevin

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not? but I have a 90 and a 49sp that I would like to replace the crank seals and possible bearings on in the near future. This will be my first time attempting something like this so I have some questions for you guys, like what case splitter works on the older jonnys? and what material and thickness should I use for the crank gasket? I've had a couple people tell me to just use moto-seal but I don't know if that's such a good idea. If you know of any tips, tricks or specialty tools that would make the job easier I sure would appreciate it.

Bill

Well....you don't need to split the cases to do just seals.....bearings are pretty robust in these saws so unless you're sure that you have bearing issues be best not to open them up. When I do seals I always pull the cyl so I can fill the crankcase with mixed fuel and rotate the crank at the same time washing out the main bearings with an acid brush......I just fill/wash/repeat until clean mix is all you see coming out. You'd be amazed how much crud builds up on the outside (seal side) of the main bearings on these old saws....the inside stays cleaner as it's swept with fuel constantly. Definitely use a gasket between the case halves if you do have to split and the Huskvarna clamp type case splitter is worth the expense as it will hold the bearings in the case half which can then be simply tapped out with an appropriate socket. You may have to fabricate a u shaped collar from a large washer to retain the smaller bearing of the 49sp with the fingers of the clamp. The advantage of retaining the bearings in the case is you don't have to pull the oil pump cam and bearings off the crank after it's out.....they're quite and interference fit and don't generally come off that easy.

Thanks for the info Robin,I thought the seals were on the inside of the crank housing on the older jonsereds. This job just got easier :)
Also what material and thickness do you use when you have to make a new case gasket? Hopefully I won't have to do this.

Great advice from Robin. DO flush out the crank bearings.....no filter gets all the fines that build up in there over the yrs....especially given how old these saws are now. You will be surprised at what comes out of there...lol!

I have a great seal puller for small engines....I'll see if I can find a pic and post a link. The only caveat is that the steel they used is pretty malleable....but you can bend it back after you use it. Most just drill a hole in the seal, put in a screw and pull from that. But this is a nice tool purpose built.

https://www.toolsource.com/crankshaft-c-1321_139_144_951/lip-seal-puller-p-106058.html

I had to edit my first link back to Amazon...it was showing personal info on my side at least. It's cheaper here at this place though unless you have Amazon Prime.

Oh and BTW, don't join the no-gasket-necessary-crowd for the case halves. Always use the proper gasket at the proper thickness.

Kevin

NOS to boot....it will go higher!

Scott, I predict some snipe bidding on your 111S at the last. She’ll go over a grand easy.

The XF has a much more limited market. I haven’t looked at the bidders, but would bet you have six at the most who are really serious.

Kevin

Damn....unless this phone isn’t accessing eBay correctly, Scott’s saw got stuck @$925 for the auction finish?

Again Scott, you got robbed. I’ve seen lesser 111’S go through for well over a grand. I don’t get it.

Maybe the deep-pocket collectors for Holy Grail saws are starting to recede a bit? Fickle market......

Kevin

Damn....unless this phone isn’t accessing eBay correctly, Scott’s saw got stuck @$925 for the auction finish?

Again Scott, you got robbed. I’ve seen lesser 111’S go through for well over a grand. I don’t get it.

Maybe the deep-pocket collectors for Holy Grail saws are starting to recede a bit? Fickle market......

Kevin

Yep that's what I'm reading this morning too.....figgered it'd climb at least a couple hundred more with 51 bids!! Just goes to show.....ya never know......seen fixer uppers go for that much!!!

Well, I'm a bit surprised, too. Figured the 111S would bring $1200-ish. And was hoping to hit $1000 with the XF, but I agree that it's definitely a more limited market.

I've got a few dozen more vintage J'reds to sell (everything in my signature) so keep your eyes peeled if you need one.

Well, I'm a bit surprised, too. Figured the 111S would bring $1200-ish. And was hoping to hit $1000 with the XF, but I agree that it's definitely a more limited market.

I've got a few dozen more vintage J'reds to sell (everything in my signature) so keep your eyes peeled if you need one.

Can you post a link to the XF?.......I looked at it before but for some reason can't seem to find it now.

Back