Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know they get a bum rap, but the two clamshell saws I own haven't given me any issues, nor have the clamshells my family members own given them any issues. The only clamshell air leaks I've encountered have been from the sealer between the halves failing, and I've re-used the seals with no issues. I know a 15+ year old 445 with the original seals that's been used a lot, only sorta maintained, and run with a non-sharp chain a lot and the seals haven't failed yet.

I have nothing against clamshell saws. I do however have issues with the Jonsered 450, 455, 525, 535, etc saws. They are not a very good design and certainly were not up to the same standard of the saws they replaced. I have had a Jonsered 2050 for 25 years and it has been a great saw and is my go-to for snowmobile trail work. I couldn't tell you the hours on that saw, but its a lot, and the bottom end has never been touched.

I know they get a bum rap, but the two clamshell saws I own haven't given me any issues, nor have the clamshells my family members own given them any issues. The only clamshell air leaks I've encountered have been from the sealer between the halves failing, and I've re-used the seals with no issues. I know a 15+ year old 445 with the original seals that's been used a lot, only sorta maintained, and run with a non-sharp chain a lot and the seals haven't failed yet.

With me it's one of those deals where I "think" I don't want one. Never run one, never worked on one and don't "think" I want one.....;)

Kevin

Hello guys! I picked up a 2172 and it has a siezed clutch side crank bearing that ate the case. Does any one have a line on a case set or the clutch side case half they would like to get rid of?

Thanks guys

Hello I am new to the forum. My name is Brendan and I live in willow New York, and I have grown up around chainsaws, primarily jonsered. My grandfather Alfred Ostrander was a jred dealer from the very beginning (late 60s?) Till his death in 2019. I'm on the forums to see what kind of interest there is in these old saws, and to seek information and knowledge to keep my saws going, as well as eventually being able to offer up some help to others. In interested to see if anyone on here is from the Catskills area of New York, my family has a long history of logging these hardwoods and that led my grandfather to become a dealer of many chainsaw brands more or less out of necessity. With him gone I am now sitting on a fairly large supply of NLA OEM parts as well as many, many parts saws that he kept over the years. I have new OEM jonsered parts dating back as far as the 621 era, and am interested in connecting with some others who run jreds from this period. I currently have a few running saws that I use for firewood and property maintenance, as well as some very light logging. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and have been very into motorcycles, I'm just now getting into the nitty gritty of saws, and have rebuilt a couple old saws, in doing so have been led to this site and decided to join up.

Welcome, Brendan!

Well, you're in good stead here. Lots of us collect the older J'reds and keep them running/working. Mine start at the 621 and go up to the 111S. Primarily I use the 80/90's and big Huskies. I do however, have a 2094 and like it lots....kudos to that design and what a big cc screamer!.

We're always scrounging for parts on these old gals. More and more it's becoming used parts in slightly better condition that what we might have.

There's a guy named Bob(spike60) on another forum that is an old J'reds dealer. He and his business partner are getting ready to shut down and retire. He's up in New York State. Great guy and a living encyclopedia on J'reds.

Lots of people here like Eric and Robin who really know all the different old models well.

Kevin

Kevin, thank you for the information! It would be cool to link up with another dealer who knows the old stuff, looking for someone to have a look at what we are sitting on as well, I know Im sitting on a mountain of parts but I'm not on the up and up with what the good stuff is. Bob, as in Bob from turf and timber in Shokan NY? My grandfather had a hand in helping those boys going back and forth. Bob and Warren are getting ready to close up shop, so it would make sense.

Welcome Brenden! from Sunny Michigan. I routinely re-condition '60's - '70's J-Reds. I'll keep your post. Maybe I can share videos of the work on a saw......as I do for each customer. Happy Summer! Capt. B. Bart

Kevin, thank you for the information! It would be cool to link up with another dealer who knows the old stuff, looking for someone to have a look at what we are sitting on as well, I know Im sitting on a mountain of parts but I'm not on the up and up with what the good stuff is. Bob, as in Bob from turf and timber in Shokan NY? My grandfather had a hand in helping those boys going back and forth. Bob and Warren are getting ready to close up shop, so it would make sense.
Those be the guys! When Bob has the time, I'm sure he'd look at all your stuff. Small world.......

Kevin

Welcome Brendan!! Yep Bob at Turf and Timber is your closest bet for info on the older Jonsereds and the newer Jonsered models as well. He's a good guy....always rready to help , but hasn't been online in quite a while.
This stickey is a great place to ask questions and provide answers too.

Bob is fairly active in the Forestry Forum under 'chainsaws. Especially if someone asks about J'reds. I think he might also be active in the ********* as well.

As Robin said, this is a great thread to ask questions about and commensurate with owners of old Jonsereds saws.

Wow, AS immediately blocked my mention of another forum. Must be a story there, I'm sure.

Kevin

Here are a few random pictures from digging in the archives tonight! In trying to get an older 670 super going I managed to drum up a replacement chain brake band, as well as the service information concerning the improvements made on the later models. The new information led me to find a complete updated clutch cover and chain brake assembly as well. It's a bit of an archeological dig, but fun to dig through the history. KIMG1637.JPG
KIMG1639.JPGKIMG1634.JPGKIMG1641.JPGKIMG1643.JPGKIMG1645.JPGKIMG1638.JPG

Heck yeah! Love to rummage through that stash......:sweet:

These are the kinds of things us collectors dream about.......

Never had a saw with a chain brake...except my 2094. Foreign critters to me that would just get in the way.

Kevin
Welcome willowman.

Yup. Would love to check out all the goodies too. I'm actually not too far from the Catskills, But as others have said.... Bob is your guy being so close to you. There is some great knowledge in this thread so if you have any questions regarding parts.... post up.

Hello I am new to the forum. My name is Brendan and I live in willow New York, and I have grown up around chainsaws, primarily jonsered. My grandfather Alfred Ostrander was a jred dealer from the very beginning (late 60s?) Till his death in 2019. I'm on the forums to see what kind of interest there is in these old saws, and to seek information and knowledge to keep my saws going, as well as eventually being able to offer up some help to others. In interested to see if anyone on here is from the Catskills area of New York, my family has a long history of logging these hardwoods and that led my grandfather to become a dealer of many chainsaw brands more or less out of necessity. With him gone I am now sitting on a fairly large supply of NLA OEM parts as well as many, many parts saws that he kept over the years. I have new OEM jonsered parts dating back as far as the 621 era, and am interested in connecting with some others who run jreds from this period. I currently have a few running saws that I use for firewood and property maintenance, as well as some very light logging. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and have been very into motorcycles, I'm just now getting into the nitty gritty of saws, and have rebuilt a couple old saws, in doing so have been led to this site and decided to join up.
Welcome to the site Brendan!
Ernie

Geez Brendan, you ought to drive over and stop in sometime and we can share some thoughts. Danny and Joanne are friends of mine and we've talked about all those old goodies sitting over there. ( I'd like to get Danny to trade me his Olymypk 970. LOL ) Al's parts dwarf my pile of stuff. But his pile goes back to 1972. I think E-bay would be the best way to sell them by casting the widest net. Occasionally see some of the old saws come into the shop that the locals are still running. Fair amount of 49SP's still out there; Al sold boatloads of them. I learned a LOT from Alfred over the years. He's still the master in my mind.

Thanks for the reply Bob! I will definitely stop in and look you up. currently we aren't really trying to sell out of our stock, moreso interested in keeping our own and other locals saws going, as well as being able to help some jonsered guys through these forums. I have talked with Dan and the crew and we are looking to make the best use of all these old parts, rather than let them die with al, and I thing a very good place to start is linking up with like minded people. I'm not really interested in selling out on eBay, we really enjoy the personal connections with people. I'm currently rebuilding a 451e, and a 670 super, and it has led me deep into his archives. I look forward to linking up with you

Well, everything with the old Jonsereds is NLA, so what you have is golden to us collectors. Somebody keeps telling me about a shop somewhere in the Midwest where the guy is retired and just supplies the old saw parts he has to people that come there. I guess that's a great gig if you can get it.

I would only caution that many 'collectors' are unscrupulous and are only looking to flip saws at the expense of others providing the parts. If you open yourself up to the Internet away from good people in threads like this, you're going to be dealing with those people.

There is a Kevin in Canada that drove around all over NA picking up Husky and J'red parts. He found some real gold.....filled up an entire shop with parts. Put together saws with NLA parts even and sold them. The people I mentioned above soured him forever in the hobby. He told me the 'fun' of it all vanished. Just take this as a cautionary tale if you want some 'fun' out of selling your old parts.

Kevin

Back