Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In an effort to avoid making this thread all about me, I've started a separate thread in regards to the restoration. I would appreciate any and all input you guys may have helping me with my first restoration.

Last thing I'll post in regards to the project on here are the images @Real1shepherd asked for of the cylinder/bore. View attachment 1032790View attachment 1032791View attachment 1032792View attachment 1032793

How is the bore? Is this cylinder salvageable?

I've saved alot of cylinders that look similar to that.
I put a green or red scotch brite pad on a dowl rod and chuck it up in a drill to start cleaning out the transfer.
You'll beable to see what your dealing with after that. Right now you can't tell.

In an effort to avoid making this thread all about me, I've started a separate thread in regards to the restoration. I would appreciate any and all input you guys may have helping me with my first restoration.

Last thing I'll post in regards to the project on here are the images @Real1shepherd asked for of the cylinder/bore. View attachment 1032790View attachment 1032791View attachment 1032792View attachment 1032793

How is the bore? Is this cylinder salvageable?

Running your finger nail 90 degrees to the bore.....do the transfer striations feel raised or below the plating. If most of them are raised, I would start polishing(or the acid trick) and see where it goes. If however, you have a lot of grooves deep into the plating, I'd consider this cylinder trash.

And agreed.....starting a new thread outside of this one may not give you the responses you want and/or draw some of the inveterate AS wackos that never had a Jonsered saw. You would be fine to stay in this thread and share with us here.

Kevin

Well alright then. Transposing the separate thread here...now.

So here I find myself doing my first ever restoration of an chainsaw (as much as available parts allow me to restore), at the very least restore to a working chainsaw condition.

As it currently stands I want to obviously replace the piston and the cylinder (I am currently working on getting an OEM P+C from an eBay seller in the UK) and repair the carburetor, so I've ordered a Tillotson OEM carb restoration kit as well as a spare carburator just in case.

With that said I ask this communities help with this project, as I want it done right. Any help would be appreciated, I don't know what I don't know so tell me what I need to do here to avoid screwing the restoration up.

This is the current state of the project, in pictures.

IMG20221116194059.jpg
IMG20221116180133.jpgView attachment IMG20221116194123.jpgIMG20221116175714.jpg
IMG20221116175731.jpgIMG20221116175810.jpgIMG20221116175844.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20221116180110.jpg
    IMG20221116180110.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221116175844.jpg
    IMG20221116175844.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221116175714.jpg
    IMG20221116175714.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
I have some basic and general questions that have been rumbling around in my brain as I proceed.

What is the best way to clean all the parts? What solvents do I use? More importantly what solvents should I avoid? To this point I've used a lot of WD-40 to loosen gunk rust, and debris, Evaporust and break cleaner soaking for the muffler, and compressed air? But should I use something else?

A few questions for when I put it back together. What parts need to be pre-oiled/lubricated? With what? Which need to be greased? Which screws should get anti-seize? Which threads get thread-locker?

What other things should I replace since I'm deep in the guts of this thing?

Toss the piston. It was probably straight gassed.

Some things to check;
Move the connecting rod laterally side to side.....see how much slop it has. Also grab it and force it up and down(crank not moving)...looking for slop there too.

Grab the crank ends on ea side, one at a time and see if there is any lateral play in the crank itself(you'll have to remove the flywheel). Clutch side most likely to have play.

You can remove the flywheel with the puller screw holes. You can either buy a chainsaw flywheel remover tool or makeshift a steering wheel puller to do the task. One caveat there is to only thread the puller screws the thickness of the flywheel.....anymore and you can do damage underneath the flywheel.

Replace all gas & vent tubing

In answer to some of your questions;
50/50 acetone & ATF makes a great rust break solvent....don't waste your money on store bought stuff. WD-40 is a water displacement formula that is the most overrated substance in the world. But it's gentle on paint and would probably loosen minor pitch and sawdust gunk. Brake cleaner works better, but chase it with something like water from a spray bottle so that it doesn't take off your paint.

Lubriplate is excellent to coat moving parts going back together. But in chainsaws, you can use the oil you have for the gas mix...use it straight. Coat the wrist pin, the piston rings...smear some oil in the cylinder itself. Any extra will burn out. There are very inexpensive plastic tools(ring compressor) to put your piston back into the cylinder.....saves you from fumbling around with the ring(s). Pay attention to how the ring position is, in your piston. You can put them in upside down with catastrophic results.

As far as cleaning parts, I use straight non-ethanol gas and a parts brush. Brake cleaner works too. Things like the carb body & parts I put into a USC. I have gal cans of carb cleaner that come with a dip tray. Most of the time, I will use that in the USC with its heater on....NO rubber type parts go in there. Buy authentic Tilly kits if you can. Pay attention to the carb-to-manifold gasket you take off. The full Tilly kit may not have that correct gasket.

Evaporust will probably work fine on the muffler. At least enough to use high heat engine paint if that's what you're after to pretty 'er up.

Lacquer thinner is a great solvent, but it will take off the paint for sure. Be careful with strong solvents and plastic parts.

Drum bearing needs to be greased.

The use of Loctite is up to the user. Fasteners that typically tend to loosen as I use saws get the Blue Loctite. If your muffler bolts don't have a locking plate, you could consider using Loctite 2620....it will take the heat but it will be difficult later to get those bolts out...you'll have to use a torch. I generally don't put any Loctite on my muffler bolts because all but the 2620 will liquefy anyway with the heat. Some models have a problem with muffler bolts staying tight...do the research there or ask here. I'm not sure about your model.

You should make an attempt at cleaning your crank bearings....they often are packed with sawdust. You can do that by repeated rinsing of your case with gas/oil mix. Should consider replacing the crank seals at this time because with them removed, it will be easier to clean out the crank bearings(and see what's going on). Using a compressor at this point will aid you as well.

If you need good visuals, YouTube is loaded with them.....just stay with people that are well-known chainsaw mechanics and not weekend warriors who have found a 'better way'.

If you can find a Workshop Manual for your saw model....get it. The older Jonsered(s) had great Workshop Manuals....the newer Jonsered/Husqvarna manuals, not so much.

It's easier to answer questions if you list them line after line....instead of all in a paragraph....at least for me.:cheers:

Kevin

Here's a video of the connecting rod slop. Once I order the flywheel remover tool I'll asses lateral play in the shaft.

View attachment VID20221117134955.mov

1. Gas/vent tubing, what's a decent quality tubing brand or doesn't matter? Do I have to split the crankcase to replace them?
  2. Lubriplate, I assume you're referring to 105 Motor Assembly Grease? Is this just lithium grease? I have bunch of Super Lube laying around...
  3. Piston ring compressor, this guy?image_12519.jpg
  4. Wrist pin, how do I remove it without causing any damage to the connecting rod? Should it just slide out without force once the circlips are removed?
  5. Workshop manual. Only thing I've been able to find is the following two documents. Do you mean something akin to a Chilton car manual?IMG_20221117_170154.jpgIMG_20221117_165949.jpg
More question will follow I'm certain. Thank you for being so forthcoming with the information to this point.

Attachments

• IMG_20221117_165949.jpg
    IMG_20221117_165949.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
You don't need a ring compressor that complicated/exensive. Kevin was talking about the plastic ones you can find easily on ebay.....personally I don't even use those.....I just use a zip tie and locate the connection right over the ring locating pin so you see and be sure the joint in the ring is properly located on the pin as you slide the cyl onto the piston. Then simply cut the tie off. I also use two 3/4" X 3/4" X 2" blocks of wood on either side of the con rod across the hole to hold the piston upright in place while doing all this.

Here's a video of the connecting rod slop. Once I order the flywheel remover tool I'll asses lateral play in the shaft.

View attachment 1032968

1. Gas/vent tubing, what's a decent quality tubing brand or doesn't matter? Do I have to split the crankcase to replace them?
  2. Lubriplate, I assume you're referring to 105 Motor Assembly Grease? Is this just lithium grease? I have bunch of Super Lube laying around...
  3. Piston ring compressor, this guy?View attachment 1032978
  4. Wrist pin, how do I remove it without causing any damage to the connecting rod? Should it just slide out without force once the circlips are removed?
  5. Workshop manual. Only thing I've been able to find is the following two documents. Do you mean something akin to a Chilton car manual?View attachment 1032980View attachment 1032979
More question will follow I'm certain. Thank you for being so forthcoming with the information to this point.

Lol I can hear the kids hotrod in the background.

View attachment 1032968

3. Piston ring compressor, this guy?View attachment 1032978
  5. Workshop manual. Only thing I've been able to find is the following two documents. Do you mean something akin to a Chilton car manual?View attachment 1032980View attachment 1032979
OK, on the con rod vid....they are supposed to slide back and forth like that but...take something plastic and stop it from sliding. Then from the top, try to tweak it back and forth. There should be little to no play that way. Force a dowel rod against the crankcase to keep it from turning and try to pull up & down on the con rod....should have almost no play there either.

1.)No, you don't have to split the case to replace. I go to a local outdoor Honda dealer for my metric tubing replacement. Metric tubing is available online, just make sure it's quality stuff......ask around forums like this. Stay away from the newer style tubing with a 'liner'. Ethanol gas will eventually loosen the 'liner' and the tubing will get blocked with it.

2.)Yeah that's fine, or just use straight oil mix without the gasoline.

3.)Yes, but like Robin said plastic ones abound on eBay, saw shops and the like. Don't spend a lot of money for a metal one when the plastic ones work great. They also have little plastic plates with a split so that they go around your con rod and back up the piston. In Robin's example, he uses wood.

4.)Most can be driven out without a lot of force. On things like that, I'll use a wooden dowel rod the appropriate diameter. Hardware stores are a good source for those. I would lay the saw case on its side and use wood blocks till you get the height necessary so that the con rod rests against the wood.

5.)I was talking about the actual Workshop Manual for the saw by Jonsered. There are places online that have these to copy from. AS has a 'Beg for manuals' section or something like that. I'll post below what they should look like;older and newer. As I said though, they get less and less informative after the 90's. Some of those 'all in one' Chilton type manuals are OK, but they're covering a lot of models and leave out a lot. The older ones are better.....still, try to find the original copies from Jonsered. I bet a member here has one for the 451e and will maybe scan it. If I had it, I would.

Let YouTube and Google be your friend. There are outstanding vids out there for working on chainsaws....some even from members. There used to be great pic sets in here for that kinda thing before this site got hacked and crashed. Robin had a great pic tutorial on rebuilding a chainsaw(probably a 49sp..hehe) along with splitting the case. All that was lost.....but there's YouTube.

Happy to view and comment on any rebuild vids you find....whether the guy is full of sheep dip or not. Lots of knowledgeable people here, use them.:cool:

Kevin

Attachments

• Service Manuals.jpg
    Service Manuals.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 0
  • Service manuals 2.jpg
    Service manuals 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
I have no idea how a used 12v John Deere Gator has lasted two years simultaneously lugging around 3 toddlers.
In the early 90's I had one...not a Gator....before those. When it ran it was great. But I was always buying parts for it. Then one day they(my two sons a yr apart) had over a little sh** that turned it upside down and deliberately switched around all the wiring. I got it all put back(pre-Internet) but there was damage to the motors' speed selection. IOW, it never ran again like it had. I even bought new motors for it, but the boys' interests shifted to thing more dangerous like dirt bikes. Still, wife snapped some incredibly awesome pics of them in it and with our dogs running alongside.

Customers have those Gators for their little kids....man they are tough. They've come along way....ours would stall even in the morning on grass dew.

Kevin

Another thing about the metal ring compressor you posted. It would not work on a chainsaw anyway as it does not come apart to get it off the con rod once the piston is in the bore. Most guys like the plastic ones as they work great but you have to work one handed as the other hand has to hold the compressor together, which is why I prefer the zip tie method........just a personal preference......

Another thing about the metal ring compressor you posted. It would not work on a chainsaw anyway as it does not come apart to get it off the con rod once the piston is in the bore. Most guys like the plastic ones as they work great but you have to work one handed as the other hand has to hold the compressor together, which is why I prefer the zip tie method........just a personal preference.....
Ok, so one of these?IMG_20221118_105531.jpg

So I'm having a problem with the 52 I posted about putting a carb kit a few days back. It won't start now. While trying to start the recoil will occassionally lock right up in my hand. There is a small amount of smoke that comes out of exhaust but not audible pop. Plug is getting wet and there is good spark.

I'm guessing since it ran after putting carb kit in that somehow points are out of time? Maybe flywheel key broke?

So I'm having a problem with the 52 I posted about putting a carb kit a few days back. It won't start now. While trying to start the recoil will occassionally lock right up in my hand. There is a small amount of smoke that comes out of exhaust but not audible pop. Plug is getting wet and there is good spark.

I'm guessing since it ran after putting carb kit in that somehow points are out of time? Maybe flywheel key broke?
Yeah, if you're sure you have good spark and the carb is giving out gas, but not flooding.....do pull the flywheel and look at the key/keyway.

Did it run correctly at least a tank with the new carb kit in? If it did, that would sort of rule out incorrect kit installation....gotta always make sure the bottom diaphragm is hooked into that tiny fork for the inlet jet. AND....you have the correct gasket/diaphragm order on the bottom.....the top sandwich is different.

Kevin

Sounds flooded to me.......

It ran, but ran terrible when I got saw. Carb kitted it, incorrectly installed intake gasket provided....idled high. Put original gasket back in, started saw, roughly set carb screws, saw idled well and seemed to run good. I didn't have time to try and cut with it. Now won't start with issue mentioned above.

Diaphragm hooked in. Lever is set ever so slightly higher than carb body. Gasket between diaphragm and carb body. On other side gasket on cover side. Plug gets slightly wet, but don't smell fuel or have it spitting out exhaust.

Latest posts

Back