Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say a guy was to happen upon a complete and running example of a 930- what are the pitfalls to look out for if you could not view the saw first hand?
What do they have that breaks/wears and is no longer available that turns a running saw into a parts saw?
Loaded question. It was a very heavily influenced Husky saw....especially the 930 Super. However, this far downhill in the game, I'm not sure how many of the Husky parts would be available for it. Figure it's a completely unsupported saw. Of the three saws; 910/920/930 & Super.....I have no idea of the production #'s on each.

It has nothing notorious for breaking down that I've heard....just normal wear & tear stuff. Spike 60 (Bob) prefers the 930 Super in this series. I prefer the 910, but it's the least supported model with used parts. I have essentially three of them in parts.

I'd say out of the three models, you're most likely to find parts for the 930 & Super. But going into it, figure all three models are completely unsupported by the factory.

If you looked on US eBay for all three models, whichever one always has the biggest plethora of parts would most likely indicate there are more of that model surviving.

Kevin

Say a guy was to happen upon a complete and running example of a 930- what are the pitfalls to look out for if you could not view the saw first hand?
What do they have that breaks/wears and is no longer available that turns a running saw into a parts saw?
Loaded question. It was a very heavily influenced Husky saw....especially the 930 Super. However, this far downhill in the game, I'm not sure how many of the Husky parts would be available for it. Figure it's a completely unsupported saw. Of the three saws; 910/920/930 & Super.....I have no idea of the production #'s on each.

It has nothing notorious for breaking down that I've heard....just normal wear & tear stuff. Spike 60 (Bob) prefers the 930 Super in this series. I prefer the 910, but it's the least supported model with used parts. I have essentially three of them in parts.

I'd say out of the three models, you're most likely to find parts for the 930 & Super. But going into it, figure all three models are completely unsupported by the factory.

Kevin

Yep, already figured all that and given the geographical complications and the fact I have never seen a real live 930 in the flesh here= parts are never going to be easy to find.

Yep, already figured all that and given the geographical complications and the fact I have never seen a real live 930 in the flesh here= parts are never going to be easy to find.
It's kind of like we always say, if you intend to use the saw hard and often, better to stay with something fully supported.

I was running vintage saws professionally before I retired recently. For good measure and to ensure productivity, I always brought at least 4 saws to the job. 98% of the time, at worst I would get into the second saw. But in that 2% I did once get down to my last saw.....just a bad day of weirdness and happenstance. Like they say, sh*t happens.

Kevin

It's kind of like we always say, if you intend to use the saw hard and often, better to stay with something fully supported.

I was running vintage saws professionally before I retired recently. For good measure and to ensure productivity, I always brought at least 4 saws to the job. 98% of the time, at worst I would get into the second saw. But in that 2% I did once get down to my last saw.....just a bad day of weirdness and happenstance. Like they say, sh*t happens.

Kevin

Been there done that back in the 1990's when I was using saws to make a living as well- never did the 4 saw thing, but was known to be home early with two non-runners.
Yeah, na- you have seen the photos of the red and black saws I have- the 930 is just a bit like the 590 gathered up recently, will join the fleet- will be used occasionally, but will not be a front runner.
More an example of the period in time.
Besides- I do not have a whole lot of bars with the bigger stud slot. :laugh:

Been there done that back in the 1990's when I was using saws to make a living as well- never did the 4 saw thing, but was known to be home early with two non-runners.
Yeah, na- you have seen the photos of the red and black saws I have- the 930 is just a bit like the 590 gathered up recently, will join the fleet- will be used occasionally, but will not be a front runner.
More an example of the period in time.
Besides- I do not have a whole lot of bars with the bigger stud slot. :laugh:
Well, I think it's important that examples of these saws running still exist. If for nothing more, it's an example of the period/time in which they were made, as you said.

If someone has a bucket of parts of a vintage model...... ho-hum. But if they have the same model up and running sweet....oh boy!

Kevin

Well lad if you'lda bought that brand new you woulda got one of these too!!!!View attachment 1133638
Maybe- I remember the saws on the shelf back in the day here- but never seen the hat here. Maybe the dealers kept them.

Did you check the date?
Made in the penultimate week of 2003- so a late 2003 made saw to be exported and released in the 50th year.

Maybe- I remember the saws on the shelf back in the day here- but never seen the hat here. Maybe the dealers kept them.

Did you check the date?
Made in the penultimate week of 2003- so a late 2003 made saw to be exported and released in the 50th year.
I did.....I expect so....most things produced the year before are cedited to the next year sold..........but that's what that hat was all about.....so.....

Did you check the date?
"Penultimate week".....excellent word phrase!:cheers:

Kevin

I've got some Rugers that say on the barrels, "Made in the 200th Year of American Civil Liberties". That's all I got....:cool:

I'd be scared of tools that are marked for some anniversary.....would tend to make me preserve them and go easy on them.....not doing that.;)

Kevin

Its a 2150- been around the clock a couple of times- got some "interesting" features because of past ownership- but the recoil cover is still in good condition- probably owing to the fact it is not a simple decal.
It is only here because of the historic curiosity and it is red and black- I do not REALLY have a use for it- but it will get used.

Its a 2150- been around the clock a couple of times- got some "interesting" features because of past ownership- but the recoil cover is still in good condition- probably owing to the fact it is not a simple decal.
It is only here because of the historic curiosity and it is red and black- I do not REALLY have a use for it- but it will get used.
Well, Robin REALLY doesn't have a use for all the 150+ 49sp's that he's hoarding, but oh well!:eek:

Kevin

I’ll start with trying to open the slot on a husky bar that I have. Move on from that if it’s too much of a challenge. To be honest the saw will have a pretty easy life as long as I have it. It will likely sit on the shelf and maybe idle a couple times a year and cut a cookie or two.

They certainly are a nice looking saw. I put a set of aftermarket spikes in it with a NOS full wrap. Nice addition to my collection for sure.
I found an old Husky bar and refurbished it. I replaced the old crusty worn out tip and dressed the rails. I ended up using a cutting file to open the slot enough to fit over the studs. Seems good to go and for a reasonable price and level of effort!

Attachments

• IMG_5870.jpeg
    IMG_5870.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5871.jpeg
    IMG_5871.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back