Just a question on an old XL-12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
About 35 years ago my father in law found an XL-12 saw in the woods that somebody had been using to pilfer firewood at a logging site. Nobody turned up to claim it so at the end of the day he took it home. It was handed down to me about 30 years ago and I used it to clear two home sites and also cut firewood for several people in the neighborhood.
I took it in to trade in on a Stihl saw at one point but when the Stihl man offered me only $20.00 for it I left with my Homelite and without a new Stihl. This old saw runs well but I only use it occasionally now as it leaks fuel. My question is about the lack of compression this saw has. When I pull the starter rope there is very little resistance and she cycles several times after I reach the end of the pull. Is it normal for a saw with so little compression to run so well? I keep thinking she must be on her last legs but when I fire her up she runs like a champ. :dizzy:

Don't take this the wrong way but............that saw has no commercial value at all. The $20.00 offer was a gift. What percentage of the original purchase price would you give for a 35-40 year old pick-up truck that had low compression? There is no comparison between your old xl-12 and a modern saw, I own an xl-12 and a bunch of modern stuff, trust me on this. The saw was found, has paid its dues and owes you nothing.

Give her some rings and it will run for many more years. If you want to sell it for $20, give me a PM, I'll take it.

I just looked on e-bay, one xl-12 sold for $100. Most of the rest sold for under $20.00 and a few went for $20 to $40, Like I said, no commercial value. If some nut job wants mine for $100, they can have it, I might just put it on e-bay after the holidays and see what it brings.

Clean it up really well, talk it up like it's the finest chainsaw ever made, and photograph it from interesting angles to so that it becomes a :censored: symbol.

Back