Just became a OWB owner last night...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Just went to look at a Central 6048 last night and although it was completely to big for what I needed I figured it would give me longer burn times. Scored it for less than 1/2 the cost of a new one and it includes 3 garage heaters w/fans, furnace heat exchanger, 2 taco pumps, some long lengths of un-insulated PEX, and side arm heat ex-changer. Oh, also a rebuild kit for the pumps and a actuator/solenoid for the front door (?).

Need to get some insulated PEX to run underground, a mixing valve, and possibly a different heat exchanger for the house. I didn't get to measure the one included but assume it's probably not the right size. Planning on putting in a variable speed DC fan in my older LP furnace to help run the heat around the house more efficiently.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395164484.700950.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395164504.555071.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395164526.829606.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395164526.829606.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 19
Its gonna eat some wood, but it will also put out some serious heat. You're gonna be happy with it. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Don"t skimp on the underground pex. I have a 5038 and love it. I have been getting 24 hr burns out of mine all winter. Really can't tell that I am using anymore wood than when I heated with an insert around the clock. Good luck you will love it!

Thanks guys. We found it for what I would consider a great deal. We're going to pic it up the weekend of the Iowa GTG (probably...).

I think about all the stuff my dad wanted to do and had plans for and some never came to fruition. So he likes to come over and spend time with me in the shop he never got to build... Anyhow a boiler, wood splitter, and a few nice saws were all things he wished for. Now I have all that "stuff" and he enjoys coming over and spending time helping me here and there on some projects.

So here is the conundrum. I've look at the prevailing winds rose charts and the best placement would be NE or SW of the house for winter months and keeping smoke off the house. Problem is I don't have room, it's costly in PEX, or the wife doesn't want it in said location...

Attached is a img of our 12 acres. Shop is marked with green "O" and easiest location at the end of the driveway with close electrical is marked with a red "X". Orange line is a 6-8' tall retaining wall, and opposite side of the house from that is slopped strait down. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• property.2.png
    property.2.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 163
Also we got a old clunker of a tractor to dig, push, lift, etc. hoping I can eventually take backhoe arm off and run accessory hydro's to a small grapple for moving small logs but that is way into the future.

Don"t skimp on the underground pex. I have a 5038 and love it. I have been getting 24 hr burns out of mine all winter. Really can't tell that I am using anymore wood than when I heated with an insert around the clock. Good luck you will love it!

I hear you can't get good PEX for less than $10/ft... what's the upshot? who's got good quality at a good price? I'll spend the $$$ to do it right, I just haven't done the research on what's what with the PEX.

The boiler is definitely over kill. We have 4300 sqft total including large garage and unfinished basement.

I paid $12.50 /ft for mine in 2011 The stuff CB sells I also buried my lines 4ft in the ground instead of what they recommended. Like i said get as good of insulated pex as you can afford. You won't be sorry. Up shot better insulated equals better efficiency! Less wood.

The OWB will probably be at most 60-70 ft from the house... I'm going to measure tonight and look at possible placement locations.

Mine is 70 ft from my house on the NE side. I also have a neighbor close by to the east of me. This location works very well for me as far as prevailing winds go.

That system looks to be in good shape. I think the 6048 is the way to go because of the extra water storage. They do not use that much more wood. If anything your cycle times will be less. If you are going to buy underground water lines, do yourself a favor, look into ThermoFlex water lines. CB has the Thermopex, this is somewhat like it. I think I paid $8.50 per foot. I ran mine 145 ft and some is not even underground but in a crawlspace . Never have any heat loss. http://www.gtglobeindustries.com/insulated-pex.php

That system looks to be in good shape. I think the 6048 is the way to go because of the extra water storage. They do not use that much more wood. If anything your cycle times will be less. If you are going to buy underground water lines, do yourself a favor, look into ThermoFlex water lines. CB has the Thermopex, this is somewhat like it. I think I paid $8.50 per foot. I ran mine 145 ft and some is not even underground but in a crawlspace . Never have any heat loss. http://www.gtglobeindustries.com/insulated-pex.php
Ok so what do you mean by my cycle times will be less? The way I figure it the bigger boiler will probably take more wood to fuel but will also demand less heat; thus less air to the fire and resulting in longer burns for a house undersized for the boiler.

When you position it, place it so the prevailing winds blow into the unit not in your face.

Back