Just became a OWB owner last night...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you position it, place it so the prevailing winds blow into the unit not in your face.
10/4... Most of my thought was to keeping the smoke off/out of the house and not thinking about clocking it so wind blows through the unit. Simple turn of the unit once we pick the final location.

I don't think 6048 is overkill at all. They only burn a lot of wood when they are going full tilt. As many others have mentioned, do not cheap out on the pipe. Plenty of threads here from guys who have tried alternatives and regretted it later.

Yea I'm hoping to pay $8-$10 per foot... Either way I want to keep total insulated pipe length to under 100'.

Yea I'm hoping to pay $8-$10 per foot... Either way I want to keep total insulated pipe length to under 100'.
sure the longer you go the more it will cost, but don't get too wrapped up in that.....think long and hard of where you want the boiler located, if you end up at 120' or 150' because it works out better in your situation, then do it, you will eventually reap the savings, especially since you'll be heating 4300 sq. ft., and Domestic Hot Water I presume. So what that the savings take a little longer......heckuva lot better than 5 years down the road saying "I wish I would have located it here instead". Also, as others have stated, do not go cheap on the underground lines. Read the previous statement again. I have a CB 5648 with 35' run to the shop and 135' run to the house......used Thermopex and have measured water temperatures in January at -15F and I see the same temperature coming in the house as at the boiler output. Am I happy with the setup?...... darn right....January heat bill for house and DHW would have clipped $900 if "profane" was still my heat source (been backup for 10 years now), I called simply to check the price in mid-January and was quoted $4.899/gal; actual January bill was $30 (12.75 for saw gas/oil and diesel for the tractor to fetch wood, and $17.30 to run the circulating pump). December, February and March would have been less than $900, but you get the point.......you get a winter like this one and it doesn't take long to make some good strides towards payback.

Nathan,
Are you going to be heating the shop with this unit? If so, setting it close to the shop would be handy for wood availability. Not so great for loading before bedtime, but with a unit that size, you could load when you get home from work and again before you leave in the morning.
Just thinking.
Looks like a good unit and in nice overall shape.

Nathan,
Are you going to be heating the shop with this unit? If so, setting it close to the shop would be handy for wood availability. Not so great for loading before bedtime, but with a unit that size, you could load when you get home from work and again before you leave in the morning.
Just thinking.
Late night loading is not required with 6048. Even in very cold weather I load at around 6pm and again the next morning at around 9am. Much longer burn times in shoulder season with much less wood.

Make VERY sure you do the underground pipe right. The pipe itself should be encased in closed cell foam - you can buy it that way via Thermopex or the like, or you can lay pex out in a trench & have it foamed in place by a spray foam contractor. I would not buy anything wrapped, such as the stuff linked above. Way too many voids for moisture to get into & eventually trasnfer your heat from your pipes into the ground. This is one of those areas where that penny wise pound foolish saying comes in.

Nathan,
Just thinking.
I'd love to put it down by the shop and have considered putting it 1/2 way between the two on the lower level. There is absolutely no way we can afford 400' of insulated line from shop area to house. Perhaps in the future we'll have the cash to run a line to the shop if I split the difference now. I'd just bite the bullet but there are other things requiring our $$$ this year. Hell I'm selling motorcycle (that I absolutely love!) just to finance the boiler. I think 100-150' will get me below the E/NE retaining wall which will alleviate the steep incline to shop and leave me a lot closer to wood stash.

We have heard of thermopex becoming waterlogged and having to be dug up and removed.....do your research

We have heard of thermopex becoming waterlogged and having to be dug up and removed.....do your research

That's the first I have heard of that - do you have more info or references?

If that could happen to Thermopex, it will happen to the wrapped stuff a lot easier.

I ran my pex above ground inside an 18" culvert. We then insulated with armorflex and packed the culvers with insulation.

The best pex you can buy has an insulating value of about r4.

Mine is more like r-50.

Not many people have the opportunity to run an above ground setup, but it works well with my layout.

I ran my pex above ground inside an 18" culvert. We then insulated with armorflex and packed the culvers with insulation.
Mine is more like r-50.
Not many people have the opportunity to run an above ground setup, but it works well with my layout.

Yeah there's no way the wife would go for that... Her two requirements are that it is easy to run in case I'm gone, and can't be right next to the "pretty house."

Doug one of my cutting friends has a OWB and is an electrical engineer by trade. A really smart and talented guy to have around when questions arise. I'm sure he'll help me pick a good spot to place it. He is very well informed on the mechanics and how these work and will have good input on what might be easiest in the long run for me.

Mine is more like r-50.

Wouldn't the temperature differential negate some of the extra insulation?

I have Logstor that is buried 6' down in sandy soil. The surrounding temp has to be near 50 degrees in the winter. Any culvert that is not snow covered is in temps that would have reached as low as -25 this winter in our area.

gg

Latest posts

Back