Just Because You Guys Like to Answer Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pyromaniac guy

pyromaniac guy

ArboristSite Guru
this is going to be a stupid question for you guys, but i have to ask it because i wanna know. why don't they make a chainsaw with a key start?
my father has a trimmer with a key start and a power washer with the same. if they can make those with keys, why not saws?

Vman

ArboristSite Operative
the chainsaws of today are much lighter than the saws of years ago......advancement of technology to make them better. take the weight of a starter and battery, and u are back to square one.
that is just my opinion.

MotoBoyMatt

MotoBoyMatt

ArboristSite Member
It's a saftey feature if you don't have the balls to pull start a saw you probly don't have the balls to run one. Ha j/k I'd have to agree with the weight issue although I think I've heard of spring loaded starters that get wound up when the engine is running. But aside from adding some additonal weight they would add cost and complexity I'm sure. Since mostly consumers would want this feature and consumer saws are renound for thier affordabilty consumers get stuck pulling a cord like the rest of us. jmo

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some older Macs had electric starters and a battery. You see them pop up every once in awhile on eBay. There may have been other manufacturers that offered this as well, but I haven't heard of it.

Dan

Marco

Marco

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
John Deere had one according to my chainsaw repair book.
If you have a starter you have a battery, if you have a battery you have to charge it or have a charging system. Think of the possibilities...........lights, cigarette lighter, CD player, fridge, coffe pot, electric impact wrench to get the bar nuts off with,onboard electric chain grinder, bug zapper, electric fence charger to keep others hands off it and onstar incase you pinch a finger. Oh yeah, and a horn would be a good safety feature. Keep around ten pounds and retail it for about $125

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
pyromaniac guy said:
this is going to be a stupid question for you guys, but i have to ask it because i wanna know. why don't they make a chainsaw with a key start?
my father has a trimmer with a key start and a power washer with the same. if they can make those with keys, why not saws?

A properly maintained saw will start in 1-2 pulls. There is no real need to complicate a system that works.

Bill

West Texas

West Texas

ArboristSite Guru
Well I want one of them puppies when they add the 'remote' control to it. Then instead of adding the coffee pot outlet to it, I can sit in the house, drink coffee and watch it work. :dizzy: :dizzy: :p

2Coilinveins

2Coilinveins

Former Member
HiOctane said:
Honda sells electric start (turn key )lawn mowers,about 1100.00 Can

Thanks Mr. Octane, I've got a Sears electric start (push)mower already. I was thinking of the cd player and cup holder and all that. Husky's auto mower sounds VERY nice. Wonder if it comes with a life insurance policy. If it mowed down my girlfriend's flowers I'd quickly become a dead man.

turnkey4099 said:
They ain't much good. No matter how many times I kicked it, it still wouldn't start.

I've only gotten a mower to start once by kicking it, and that was to free a sticky float. Three pulls, mower won't start. Two more pulls, won't start. Decent kick to the float bowl, one more pull, running mower. Got great applause from the neighbor who was watching.

Latest posts