Just Bought a 361 - Should I Upgrade to 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why would i run a long bar? i've cut a lot of stuff and a twenty inch bar will do 99 percent of everything in my area.

tell ya what had a 361 and traded it in for the last of the ms440's never looked back. I have logged and held 395s and 3120s all day, that is a heavy saw. I would go with the 441 or 460, it will cut any tree you run into and you will cut wood much faster. I was unsure at first but the 70cc saws are my go to saws all day no problem. I would trade it in and get the 441 and never look back! you will be amazed at the power difference and will not have to void your warranty to get the extra power.

tell ya what had a 361 and traded it in for the last of the ms440's never looked back. I have logged and held 395s and 3120s all day, that is a heavy saw. I would go with the 441 or 460, it will cut any tree you run into and you will cut wood much faster. I was unsure at first but the 70cc saws are my go to saws all day no problem. I would trade it in and get the 441 and never look back! you will be amazed at the power difference and will not have to void your warranty to get the extra power.

you are telling me a 441/460 w/a 25-28" bar is way faster in 6-12" wood. no way,i'll take a 361/362 w/an 18-20" bar. while your are tripping over and dragging your hog around,this cat will be smokin' through the wood. bigger wood yes,but not in your average fire logs.

I presume the back comment is because you run short bars? I can run my saws all day with no back pain at all, because they have 28" to 32" bars. Its nice to stand up straight most of the time.
be honest..... for firewood, what diameter do you normally cut? and species.

for burning or selling, we cut alot of tops. i love the 15" and under stuff. no splitting,easier to load/handle. plus my LITTLE 18/20" saws can actually handle the work.

be honest..... for firewood, what diameter do you normally cut? and species.

Alder, maple, Douglas fir, birch. Diameter, to be honest I usualy buck it when the branches get thick and leave the top in the bush. My favorite is clear wood around 16" because it is easy to split and makes 4 good pieces. But I figure it averages from 30" down to about 6". So, my 371 with the 28" is perfect for that.

But I ain't just a firewood guy, cutting firewood is only part of my time running a saw.:cheers:

the longer the bar,the easier it is to run in the dirt.and then that much longer to file it .

Look, we have cut a hell of a lot of wood this year, over 300 cord. Keep the 361 if your not cutting over 20-22" hardwood all the time. The 441 is over kill unless your constantly in 24" wood and bigger. Give me a 361 any day in typical firewood cutting conditions. That's why the 660 sits on the truck most of the time, the guys on here that think it takes a 441/460/660 and their husky equivalents just kill me. In most firewood conditions your just packing more weight, burning more gas, but you got that Tim Allen look going on. The difference in cutting speed is not significant on wood up to 18-20" wood with good sharp chains. Since we have picked up a 346xp we use it as much as anything on 16" wood and smaller. The 361 may be a learner's saw out west, but most likely one of the best all around firewood and farm saws ever made. If your a young stud like to impress people with the fact you've got a big saw to cut firewood with and monies not an issues go for it, you'll be pleased with it as well. Then when you start getting older you can always trade it for a whatever the EPA will allow us to buy in the future.

Look, we have cut a hell of a lot of wood this year, over 300 cord. Keep the 361 if your not cutting over 20-22" hardwood all the time. The 441 is over kill unless your constantly in 24" wood and bigger. Give me a 361 any day in typical firewood cutting conditions. That's why the 660 sits on the truck most of the time, the guys on here that think it takes a 441/460/660 and their husky equivalents just kill me. In most firewood conditions your just packing more weight, burning more gas, but you got that Tim Allen look going on. The difference in cutting speed is not significant on wood up to 18-20" wood with good sharp chains. Since we have picked up a 346xp we use it as much as anything on 16" wood and smaller. The 361 may be a learner's saw out west, but most likely one of the best all around firewood and farm saws ever made. If your a young stud like to impress people with the fact you've got a big saw to cut firewood with and monies not an issues go for it, you'll be pleased with it as well. Then when you start getting older you can always trade it for a whatever the EPA will allow us to buy in the future.
YOU TELL EM" BROTHER!:clap:

OK, you guys win, I'll see what trade I can get on my "huge" saws for a 361. While I am at it I'll trade my 3/4 ton for a smaller truck, replace my 28 oz. framing hammer for a 16oz. one, trade my axes for hatchets, get my #### reduction surgery........

Bigger

I have to agree with Clearance, a bigger saw with the reach of a longer
well balanced bar will save your back. My MS180 is my favorite saw, and my 359 is my favorite firewood saw. But there are times that I wish each
could carry a longer bar. This past fall I helped a friend clear off a large storm damaged area, and him and his friends laughed when I hauled out my MS440 with a 25 bar to do my cutting,claiming I had a bad case of hunkey disease, but at the end of the week, I had cleared more timber
than any two of them, and was less tired. Yes, I'm a big guy, five ten at
165lbs, and a longer bar will make your day in certain situations,but balance is the key.This was old unhaversted pine, many trees were thirty
in diameter, those big ones were dropped with my 066, but the majority
were felled with the 440, and just all were limned with the 440. That extra
lenth of the bar was my back saving friend.

Alright... I didn't mean to start a d:censored:k measuring contest here - although I see them on multiple other forums I belong to and I enjoy them. I bought the 361 under the premise of not going overboard - I'm still not sure what to do. At the moment, I still have the 290, and was thinking about putting a 16" bar on it with the yellow chain. That's why I was thinking about moving up a bit to a 441.

Truth be told, I'm not dropping many trees 25" plus. Another truth is that I wish I was satisfied with the 361. In a perfect world, our child on it's way in May will be a boy; and I won't desire another saw until he can handle his own along side of me.

I do appreciate all the input - I'll keep reading and pondering, just try to play nice in the sandbox...

Thanks!

If that was the case I'd have a 36" bar on the 660 and just cut twice the wood. I right at 6'3" and 235-240lbs and have two discsectomies on the L-4/L5 area. My back will take the 361 a heck of a lot longer than whiiping the 660 around like a firewood saw. The 660/ big saws shines when bucking up BIG wood in a landing area, falling big trees or running a long bar to chunk up big pieces 30" + into ones that can be lifted on the splitter. I can't tell a lot of difference when you get to the 441/460/660 in weight. With some of the mentality about bigs saws it's hard to see how Homelite sold any of those XL-12's, Stihl sold any 031/032, Mac any 10-10's. I guess tens of thousands just had a few rose bushes to prune.lol

I have to agree with Clearance, a bigger saw with the reach of a longer
well balanced bar will save your back. My MS180 is my favorite saw, and my 359 is my favorite firewood saw. But there are times that I wish each
could carry a longer bar. This past fall I helped a friend clear off a large storm damaged area, and him and his friends laughed when I hauled out my MS440 with a 25 bar to do my cutting,claiming I had a bad case of hunkey disease, but at the end of the week, I had cleared more timber
than any two of them, and was less tired. Yes, I'm a big guy, five ten at
165lbs, and a longer bar will make your day in certain situations,but balance is the key.This was old unhaversted pine, many trees were thirty
in diameter, those big ones were dropped with my 066, but the majority
were felled with the 440, and just all were limned with the 440. That extra
lenth of the bar was my back saving friend.

You are absolutly right. You understand what we're talking about. I guess the wood for 18 inch bars should get moved to the landscaping forum if there is one :)

I'd like a job - have any leads? :)

I have been off for two months, just went back this last week for a few days, got called for tommorow and maybe the whole week. It's been really wet this winter, everyone is just getting going in a lot places due to muddy conditions.

I know of a contractor on the East Coast that is looking for talent. Are you a timber faller?

I really like my 60cc saws, BUT knowing what I know now, I would have bought a 441 or a Husky equivalent because I already had two 60cc saws. My 361 with a 20-inch bar will cut some pretty darn big tree. I wish that I would have gone with the 441 for the occasional big tree and also a little bit of milling. Since you are having doubts, just go back and get the strato 441. They have a great reputation and with a 24" bar it will cut some serious trees. They may even be better on fuel due to the strato-who knows?

The decision is ultimately yours and you will do fine either way, but it seems like lots of folks regret not buying the bigger saw to start with when it is all said and done.

You are absolutly right. You understand what we're talking about. I guess the wood for 18 inch bars should get moved to the landscaping forum if there is one :)

Well, the wood burning forum is one that I do read. We don't have much
big timber down here in Georgia, and sixteen to twenty is the norm for
bars and is fine, but there are stands of woods that need all the power
you can get, rare, but I sublet, and the big ones are there for the job.The
guy that hired me on that last job is a landscaper by trade and he knew
I had the experience and the tools for that particular job. My father was
the one who taught me to use longer bars for balance, not just power. You
are right about the landscapers, most have learned that eighteen is the usual ideal length around here for most of what we have, but those damned
oaks still need power, hense, 440's and up.

Latest posts

Back