Just bought a chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidsinatree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just put 200$ down on 80's Olatha 12'' 4cyl industrial ford motor.
Asking price was 3500.00, i am buying it for 3200.00.
Started right up, ran smooth, the drum bearings seemed to be tight.
The spots on it you will notice are wood chips, not rust. It was dark out when i looked at it. I'm a little concerned about the bottom side of the discharge chute is open.The knives and bed knife was just sharpened.

Tell me your thoughts about this machine for a small tree service that I have.
I don't know the modle #...the serial # 126.

Anyone know much about this machine??

I believe your going to want to Cover the underside of the chute.It might get a little Nasty.

I'd paint it a different color. I've seen a lot of equipment that was painted white and used outside. After a year or two it winds up streaked with rust. With yellow or a darker color it will still rust at the same rate but it isn't as obvious. Unfortunately people judge on first impressions.
If the chipper is everything it appears to be it looks like you definately got your moneys worth.
Just my $.02

Congratulations David! Tacking on some sheetmetal on the bottom of that chute should be easy. The little Ford 4 cylinder Industrial is a nice engine.

Stumper said:
The little Ford 4 cylinder Industrial is a nice engine.

Thats what my Asplundh has and it run's Sweet. Make sure you check the Oil level in the Governor Trust me it will save you a Fortune.I didnt know the governor has its own Oil resevoir and the casing cracked from Heat....
:dizzy: 495.00 Later I check it regularly now.....

It looks like a nice machine for the money! Close up that lower portion of the chute and start throwing chips!

I cant imagine why someone would take the under side of that discharge
chute off unless it was clogging alot. Do these drum chippers do ok without blower fans on them to asist in discharging chips. He said he didn't have problems with it clogging.
The chipper sounded real sweet.....i looked at it last night for the fist time and didn't want it to get away from me.

Unbelievable.....this thing was only 3 miles from my house, and i was looking at chippers on-line from Wis, Ohio,Mich, thought i might have to go out of state for one...... It was right under my nose !!!

David

:blob2:

I don't know what the post in the middle of the chipper is. It does look factory installed, its heavy duty so it could be to lift the machine to load it? :confused: First idea i thought of when i saw it was to put a small winch on it with a remote control to drag brush piles.

Im ready to get this baby home...I just hope there are no bad surprises.

Hmmmmm You Brought up a good point David If this chipper doesnt have a blower that might be the reason the bottom of the chute is missing. I had a vermeer bc1600 that didnt have a blower and it tended to clog if you put anything longer that 5' thru it but the motor had carb problems and would bog easily it had a Chrysler slant 6. The carb was no longer available.I got rid of that jewel.

Curtis, You should be able to find a GOOD chuck & duck for under $4000. Watch Ebay and Equipmenttrader.com. With $6000 available your options increase and a number of disk style chippers become likely options. (And FWIW I bought a big disk for $3K- so it can be done.) :)

If that on is in halfwy decent operating condition-SWEET!. Roger Barnett maintains that the M&M is the very Best of chuck and duck designs. (The position of the anvil up the drum radius slows the feed rate (a good thing on a C&D) and makes for smaller chips which pack better .

I still haven't got to use this chipper yet, ive been going through and checking everything out on it before i put it into service.
Here is some info on it.
4 cyl industrial Ford.
192ci...I'm not sure but i think thats about 3 liters.
62 1/2 hp@2800 rpm
Engine modle # 192GF-6002-GR

The knives are thin, only 3/16'' thick x 12'' x 2 1/2''..... 4 knives.
Do all drum chippers have 4 knives or do some brands have just 3?

I have only found 1 broken bolt on this thing in a non-critical area, i'll drill it out. All the bolt threads in the drum are in great shape, i am replacing all wedge bolts. Getting to the knives and servicing them so far has been easy.
This thing is built like a tank...very solid everywhere.
There is a spring loaded plate built in the feed shoot bed.......anyone know anything about this feature.....good or bad?

Any info on this type of chipper would be appreciated.
Thanks David

Some drums have only 1 knife, like the Morbark Twister.

Some M & M chippers have more than 4, but I don't recall the exact number. They're short, and staggered in the drum.

Back