Just bought a chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
topnotchtree,
This could be a problem, I have not chipped into my pickup truck yet. The chips from my olatha are much finer than what is in the pic I have posted here. The finer chips could want to blow all over the place, I'll find out when i take it out to a job soon. However I do think the finer chips will take up less space. I think it will be ok, I could have a little more ground clean up after chipping. This olatha does have a large deflector that should do the trick. If it doesnt, I'll make a bigger one out of diamond plate.That would look cool.
This chip box is very mobil, I can remove it or install it in about 8 min. I realy like it. Someday I will have a 1 ton dump truck just for chips. This olatha will help me reach that goal. :)

This is a pic of my chip box along with the last chipper I had.

If it didnt have a 5th wheel hitch i would put a dump on it. I am considering one of those load unloader mats that have the crank handle on the tail gate.

I think you may have a problem with chips blowing over the box and onto the hood of your truck. Make sure when you do that first job you take a tarp with you so you can cover that nice lookin truck.(just in case) Those chips are very hard to clean out of the vents under windshield.

They also clog the heater core and a/c evaporator (the air side). Get yourself a chipper truck as soon as you can afford it. A f-250 won't really carry a lot of weigh and with a bigger chipper you'll fill it up a lot faster.

This pickup truck is a F350 so wieght is not a real big concern. Copacity is a concern. But keep in mind I am only a part time tree guy and I dont take the real big jobs. Trims & small removals are my nitch. I can get alot of brush chipped & in this pickup.
The pic I posted earlier in this thread of my olatha chipping, does not have the discharge chute deflecter adjusted down for chipping into my truck. At the time of the pic I was just lettin the chips fly high.

Weight is always an issue. I have a one ton dually and had to put air bags on it to handle the weight. Eventually you'll make that box go all of the way back. When you have 6-8 yards in the back weight will be an issue. Chipping into your truck will eventually take it's toll. Try and get a one ton chip truck. Dumping will save you a lot of time.....this makes you money.

When shopping for trucks, a F550 was only $800 more than a F450 with the same equipment. I had a med. duty truck until 3 years ago, since then I have been using my 1 ton Dodge dually with a 9 ft. aluminum chip box. I am going back to a med. duty truck as soon as possible. (Takes about 3 months to custom order one). I have carried as much as 13,500 lbs of roofing material in my Dodge and it dumped it OK, although the bed went up real slow. I was shocked when I went on the scale and it showed a gross weight of 22,200 lbs. I sometimes dump my truck 3 times a day, quite often twice. I need more capacity....a 12 ft. long, 6 ft. high chip box should do it for me.

David, You asked for a pic of my Olathe984. I assumed you wanted somethingother than the one showing truck and chipper. Sorry it took me so long to take a new pic.

Stumper,
Have you done any research on olathas history. I have not been able to find much of anything on them. They seem to be simple, rugged easy to work on machines. They were manufactured in olatha,KS not far from me.

I haven't learned a great deal. In 1977( I think-it was definitely 70 something) they moved to the Industrial Airport complex and machines made after that date have the Industrial Airport, KS address. They made a line of conveyer fed processors(or Heavy equip fed with conveyor discharge) and tub grinders which were continued by Toro when Toro bought Olathe Manufacturing. The hand fed line was dropped by Toro as was the Olathe name. In the hand fed line I have seen 4 machines thus far. The 986 (which seems to have been there number 1 item) was just like my 984 as far as I can tell except it had a 300CID 6cyl instead of the 4 cyl. Your drum style (does it have a Model number?) and an 18 hp mini drum style. There may be several more but those are all I know about at this time. My 984 is simple , solid and overbuilt.

Latest posts

Back