Just bought a chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, That is a 2.3L Ford Industrial everything is the same as a 2300 Pinto Engine. Everything but the Carb it should have a Zenith on it. That Governor is 695.00 with a 90 Wait so keep the oil checked in it.

DDM, thanks for the governor info. I checked into it, my engine does not have its own oil reservoir.

Zenith cutters does make my knife.....44$ each.
The chipper currently has Lancaster brand knives in it now, they have just been sharpened but they are due for replacement next time. I did a search on Lancaster, they have been making knives for a long time. I'll check there prices.

Just FYI the coversion for cubic inches to liters is,
Cubic inches x .01639 this gives liters.
Liters x 61.02 gives you cubic inches.

192ci x .01639 = 3.1 liters

if you are intersted in a chipper i have a morbark 290.early 90,s in great shape have for a back up.low hours.nice paint,new blades and bed knife $ 6800 obo.

Last edited:
David, Are you certain that you have a 192 CID engine? To my limited and imperfect knowledge the only 192 CID engine Ford has produced was a three cylinder tractor engine. The industrial 4 cyl are usually 2.3 litre (134 cid) or 2.5 litres-(153 CID).

Stumper,
The tag on the motor with model and serial #s also states 192ci.
Another tag also says in big letters, Ford industrial. I talked to ford tech service about this motor, lt is the largest of fords the 4cyl industrial motor line up.
I got the knife gaps set and getting close to being ready feed some wood to this thing. I still have to close up the bottom of the discgarge chute.

Learn something new everyday. :cool: FWIW you might want to try the machine with chute as is before modifying. It think you will want it closed but....

I would make the cover piece on a hinge like the woodsman chippers. They use rubber hold downs like those on big trucks to hold them in place. I'll try and take a pic when it stops raining. This way it is easy to unclog if necessary and it is secure.

Well....I welded a piece of steel under the chute, pulled the valve cover and checked the valve clearances....they were all good. Pulled the carb off and cleaned it out. Replaced the fuel line & filter... I hope this baby chips as good as it sounds & runs. Got the knives all set at about .015 to .020 gap. I'm running out of things to check on this machine.

Tomorrow I'm ready to install the discharge chute & puller out of the garage and throw some wood through it. :cool:

On drum chippers do you guys retorqe the wedge bolts after a certain amount of run time ?

Stumper,
Post a pic of your olatha, I know its a disc but I'm just curious what it looks like. How is your new paint job holding up.

As long as your bolts are torqued properly from the start they shouldnt need to be rechecked. But after a few hours you may want to just for your own piece of mind.

Got this thing back together today and put er to the test....I was very impressed with the performance! I chipped 1/2 load of brush I had on my trailer...16' with 4' sides. It reduced this to about a yard or less of chips.
The first thing I noticed was how fine the chipsize is compared to my last disc chipper. This was my first time feeding a drum chipper......wow..put it in and watch it disappear almost at the blink of an eye.
I had some limbs about 14' long x 4'' at the but end....ate them up real nicely.
I dont think I should have problems clogging the chute, it was blowing chips about 30'. I didn't realize how loud these things are until today.....wow.

This machine will help me clean up jobs faster so I can pay my help & myself more $$.
I think I like this machine.....I'm so exited!!!
:blob2:
:dizzy:

Here is a pic of this baby working.

glad your happy with the machine,it looks like youll get plenty done with it :)

I see you Covered the underside of the chute. Becareful Running the machine Disconnected from a vehicle Ive had mine Tip up.I usually put a floor jack under the rear end if i have it disconnected from a truck and i'm running it.

Man you do great work! That thing looks awesome. By using Erik's knife to anvil clearance measurements you get smaller chips which should make it less likely to clog. You will be amazed at how productive this chipper will make you. I don't know if I'd give your help a raise. Pay people what they are worth.....you're supposed to make money.

So when are you gonna build a bigger box for your truck? I am not knocking your box, it looks great. But, I fore see you blowin chips over that short chip box.

Latest posts

Back