Just Curious Why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmonhead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Why would someone buy a 441 instead of a 460 saw when they virtually weigh the same, yet the 460 has more power.
Same goes for the 650 vs the 660? Same exact weight, yet the 660 has more power?

My line of thinking is to get the most power: weight in the class saw you can.

Thoughts???

If it's a new saw, warranty!
I again with you as to weight and power! But for the home owner that occasionally to moderately needs a larger saw, I can see the advantages of a new saw.

And cost! +1

With the 650/660, it's simply a price point thing. The saws are identical except for a larger bore on the 660.

The 441 and 460 are technically completely different. The 361 and 441 brought in stratofied technology for Stihl. You'll likely see all current models replaced with stratofied models.

Additionally, the 441 has superior AV, air filtration, and fuel economy. There's not that much power difference either. And contrary to once popular belief, they respond very well to mods.

A lot of people say the 441 has better anti vibes, air filtration and lower fuel consumption compared with the 460.
I've been searchin for a blown up 440 so I can stick a 460 top end on it and have the power of a 460 with the weight of a 440.

When you are in business you do not care how much hp it has. You just want to complete the job and save a few bucks.

I've been wanting to ask the same question about the Dolmar 6400/7300/7900.
Why would the price be different and why not go with the most power/weight ?

QUOTE=Teddy.Scout;2029506]If it's a new saw, warranty!
I again with you as to weight and power! But for the home owner that occasionally to moderately needs a larger saw, I can see the advantages of a new saw.

And cost! +1[/QUOTE]

i second that so +2 :greenchainsaw:

Why would someone buy a 441 instead of a 460 saw when they virtually weigh the same, yet the 460 has more power.
Same goes for the 650 vs the 660? Same exact weight, yet the 660 has more power?

My line of thinking is to get the most power: weight in the class saw you can.

Thoughts???

I bought a 460 for the reasons you list. I suspect it is personal preference. People seem to like the 441. I like not smelling 2 stroke fumes, too. Strato was new when I got the 460, or else I might have done differently.

The 650 is the odd ball in Stihl's lineup imo. A great saw, just priced lower for having a smaller p&c. I read one time where a shop was trying to get rid of some new ones and selling cheap, like $750-800 cheap. All the customers went right for the battle proven 660. Personally if I were in a bind for cash and needed a big saw, the 650 may look more interesting. Otherwise I'm getting the 660. The 650 can be upgraded to a 660 p&c if needed. I'm sure the 650 cylinder will take to porting just as well. A ported 660 is a monster though, gobs of power.

The 441 and 460? Just as Brad stated, two different saws. Some like the 441, some prefer the older style Stihls like the 440/460. I like 'em both but will always have a 044/440. Even if some don't like the 441, all of the new Stihls are heading towards that design.

When you are in business you do not care how much hp it has. You just want to complete the job and save a few bucks.

I am in business, just not the tree business. My way of thinking is get the most efficient equipment to get the same job done with less man hours and/or get to more jobs with the same man hours.
But I see your point also.
I guess the best part of the question is the 650/660 argument.
I guess I didnt know about all the upgrades to the exhaust and av on the 441, compared to the 440/460 style saws. That would certainly be a consideration.

The 'dumb' part to me is why STIHL and others make these families of different saws that are essentially the same.

It can't cost them less to make the same saw with a smaller cylinder. It can't cost them less to engineer/manufacture/market/maintain parts for 2 or 3 different models.

It's a marketing thing. They sell one for less and one for more, and have a wider range of saw displacements and HP in their line. But, they must know more about marketing, as they make millions of dollars more than me . . .

Philbert

I am in business, just not the tree business. My way of thinking is get the most efficient equipment to get the same job done with less man hours and/or get to more jobs with the same man hours.
But I see your point also.

I guess I didnt know about all the upgrades to the exhaust and av on the 441, compared to the 440/460 style saws. That would certainly be a consideration.

Type in 441 into the search bar and be prepared to spend some time reading. The 441 vs 460 argument has been debated here many times. The 441 is superior; the 460 is ol reliable. You can't go wrong with either.

[snip}
It can't cost them less to make the same saw with a smaller cylinder. It can't cost them less to engineer/manufacture/market/maintain parts for 2 or 3 different models.

It's a marketing thing. They sell one for less and one for more, and have a wider range of saw displacements and HP in their line. But, they must know more about marketing, as they make millions of dollars more than me . . .

Philbert

?????

Of course a manufacturer saves money on spares if they are common across three models.
The design, tooling, inventory can all be scaled back substantially.

Re the cylinder design, if you look at, say a PS6400 vs a PS7900 Dolmar the 6400 cylinder is much cheaper to manufacture as it's a substantially simplified casting.
Huge $ saving there just in R&D, let alone manufacturing cost.

Re the cylinder design, if you look at, say a PS6400 vs a PS7900 Dolmar the 6400 cylinder is much cheaper to manufacture as it's a substantially simplified casting.
Huge $ saving there just in R&D, let alone manufacturing cost.
Good info. Thanks.

?????

Of course a manufacturer saves money on spares if they are common across three models.
The design, tooling, inventory can all be scaled back substantially.

Re the cylinder design, if you look at, say a ps6400 vs a ps7900 dolmar the 6400 cylinder is much cheaper to manufacture as it's a substantially simplified casting.
Huge $ saving there just in r&d, let alone manufacturing cost.

+1

Back