Just got a new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hay guys I just got a new log splitter . Its a husky 35ton with a tip option that is you can split flat or in a up right position . I was a little nervious about my first cut because it was birch that was to big for any one else to cut , but boy did it make short work out of that tree. It went through a stick that was 30 inches arounda and had a branch sticking out as large as my leg and it didnt even start to slow down . The problem is , the wood cuts very well but its not very pretty . What im trying to say is that the wood sometimes has a crush injury. I also would like to mention that the engine needed to be turned so that the exaust was not blowing right on me as I was working with it . and even though they give you fare size wheels they should give you an option of a spare tire. If the tire blew it would land on the hydrolic pump , so they could make a few little changes and be a lot better . But other than that I love it , I split almost a cord of birch on Thankgiving morning . ...................Merry Christmas my friends Be safe dave1

Sounds like a cool toy. Split wood with your splitter,don't cut it. The only time your wood might "crush" is if you encounter lots of crossed grain in crotches. If it is happening at other times you may be doing something incorrectly.

A spare tire isn't going to solve your pump location dilemna which shouldn't be a problem anyway. I have never seen a splitter w/ a spare tire.

You might want to reconsider where you are operating the machine from. The engine is always placed on the opposite side of the operator and exhausts away from the machine.

Have fun and keep you appendages out of the way.

I have the 20 ton 5 hp husky.....bought it new 6 years ago. No problems at all, I split about 6 cords a year. They are good little splitters. I wanted the 35 ton but didnt want to spend the extra 400$ to get it. I have been very pleased with the performance of my 20 ton. You will be happy with yours.

Over the years I have rented a 4 splitters to evaluate different brands before making a purchase. The biggest complaint with 2 of the 4 units was that the engine was mounted so that the exhaust from the muffler blew right on the operator. I dunno, maybe I was standing on the wrong side of the machine.... LOL

I bought a little 20 ton, 5hp yardmachines splitter a few months back. I've probably split about 10 cords with it. Works pretty good, and I only gave like $300 or $400 for it used. In the oak I've been cutting for firewood, if I have much energy I can split by hand as quick as I can with the splitter though. It is nice for wood that doesn't split as easy. Enjoy it, and use it. Seems like almost all of the used ones I look at somebody bought it and used for a cord or two, but most of them are priced accordingly.

Back