Just Had 2 Large Water Oaks Dropped In My Backyard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluegamma

Reaction score
I had a tree service drop two 75 foot tall water oaks in my backyard. Now, I know this sound stupid, but I wanted to learn to cut firewood, season it and sell it. I read on here that water oaks take up to two years to season. Is this correct?

View attachment 298174

If you get those rounds split and loose stacked out in full sun and wind like this week sometime, soon as possible, it will burn this upcoming winter, BUT, two winters from now it will be much better and your future customers will appreciate that and it will set you apart from the guys who only sell partially seasoned.

Besides that, howdy, lot of good reading here, chances are a lot of your questions have been addressed already someplace.

You can start other cutting now of course, but all the sap is up in the trees, etc. Summer cut trees, if you can, let the leaves suck some moisture out of the wood, they will wither, that's about it for them sucking moisture out, then buck it up and split it. Winter, leaves off, just go for it. The trees you have now are bucked, so get to splitting and stacking!

What are you splitting with? What saws do you use? Chaps/helmet/boots are a good investment in your well being. Chainsaws and trees have no pity....

The wheelheads will want to know about your truck/trailer, etc.

Ha!

I have 8 pound maul and a small echo for the small stuff. My dad is bringing over his chainsaw for the trunk. I don't know the model. Thanks for the pointers about letting it season for two winters and the leaves. That's great stuff.

I have a strange attraction to this kind of work. When I was younger I split wood for the fireplace, but as we got older we used gas. So, I have very little knowledge of anything I learned.

I love this forum by the way.

"Seasoning" has so many different definitions that it's really meaningless.

Air-drying is what's of interest here to get wood ready to burn properly. Many oaks take twice as long to dry to x% moisture content (MC) as other hardwoods. Some say 20% dry basis is optimum for burning, without explanation. BS, IMHO.

20% is a good start. Less is more. Learn how to use a moisture meter (MM). You can get a decent little MM from Harbor Freight for ~$12.

For fastest drying, cut split & stack off the ground, covered from rain on top only, exposed to summer breezes.

You might do better pricewise sourcing wood by buying it from loggers as "tri-axle" loads. BTDT. Welcome.

Welcome aboard. I agree with Zogger, get it cut and split ASAP and it may be ready to burn this winter but 2 years is better. Small splits dry pretty fast but take more time to do. More work up front but quicker $$$ return. There is a recent thread about starting a firewood business that has alot of info in it.

Welcome aboard. I agree with Zogger, get it cut and split ASAP and it may be ready to burn this winter but 2 years is better. Small splits dry pretty fast but take more time to do. More work up front but quicker $$$ return. There is a recent thread about starting a firewood business that has alot of info in it.

Useful links

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/235794.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/236424.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/stickies/183136.htm

I have 8 pound maul and a small echo for the small stuff. My dad is bringing over his chainsaw for the trunk. I don't know the model. Thanks for the pointers about letting it season for two winters and the leaves. That's great stuff.

I have a strange attraction to this kind of work. When I was younger I split wood for the fireplace, but as we got older we used gas. So, I have very little knowledge of anything I learned.

I love this forum by the way.

It's quite addictive, and rather peaceful as a hobby or little side biz. My firewooding/cutting is just as much sport to me as a way to heat the cabin.

If I wasnt 7 days a week here on the farm, most likely I would be a two season independent, lawns in the summer, cut split stack and deliver wood in the winter (two winters advanced/dried wood), and work on equipment on weather inclement days. I do that now, my main job is outside mowing and maintenance..but it is all right here, no outside the farm work. Could just as easily be though, same work....

The same truck and trailer can be used, and they sort of compliment each other, plus word of mouth advertising. Added bonus, get *paid* to cut down and haul off trees, then turn around, process, and resell the firewood.

8 lb maul, aaaak!

I call them anvils on a stick...you are welcome to peruse any of the lebenty dozen hand splitting threads.... I still use mine, but like this..real nasty gnarly something I don't even want to think about it. Twisty/nasty whatever..not easy to split. One swing with anvil on the stick, whomp! Sticks in, then lay on that with the sledge hammer.

proly not the best or safest technique, but works for me. I grabbed one of the original fiskars supersplitters (which..I don't think they sell anymore) and use that mostly, 90%+ of my wood that needs splitting. Numerous other high end splitting axes out there as well, and just PLENTY of "spirited" discussion around them...

BWAHAHAHAHA!...

Most likely commercial work and quantities, eventually you will get a power splitter.

So far, numerous threads we have had here, is to make some scratch selling wood, either stay small with little invested in equipment, not in hock or anything, or go BIG. In the middle doesnt seem to work. I don't know that, but that is the impression I get here reading various guy's stories. And diversify, normal heating firewood by the cord, best species your area, campfire wood (grade b and c stuff by the bundle), then cooking wood, the primo A+ wood. Waste not, want not, sell whatever the heck ya can! And learn take downs and maybe some climbing...

Have fun, we all like pics!

My two cents

Just to add my two cents, if oak is not split and stacked it is not seasoning. Even in rounds. I have had some from the same tree (red oak) that was split and some rounds left. When I split the rounds a year later they were as wet as the day we took them down.

Just to add my two cents, if oak is not split and stacked it is not seasoning. Even in rounds. I have had some from the same tree (red oak) that was split and some rounds left. When I split the rounds a year later they were as wet as the day we took them down.

Regional here the august sun is like a kiln .

The summer sun is here in Jersey too, but you have to store it in full sun not just a few hours of sun- huge difference.

Haha while there might be some hot days up there in August our mourning lows are around 90 so it's hot all day and night"just sayin"

Seeing the op is in mississippi I'm sure they get baked in August too I pile mine here and it's not a problem I stacked at first but the price it goes for here phoey on that lol.

Last edited:
I have been unpleasantly surprised at how poorly standing dead oak burns. Seems to be dry, but not 'seasoned'.

Mystery.

Tarry on.

(Rope, I thought my 372 bit it, but it was just loose head bolts. :))

update

Okay, here is an update on where I'm at. I'm trying to cut anything bigger than 2inch up into 16 inch pieces. I've taken most of the branches to the road so the city can pick up. The larger stuff was cut into 2 foot pieces by the tree service. I figure that I need to cut that down to 16" ish pieces as well then split.

I had people come by and tell me there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to split all of it. I told them I enjoy this kind of work and they all laughed. I'm enjoying myself so I'm not really caring about that right now.

View attachment 298442

Haha while there might be some hot days up there in August our mourning lows are around 90 so it's hot all day and night"just sayin"

Seeing the op is in mississippi I'm sure they get baked in August too I pile mine here and it's not a problem I stacked at first but the price it goes for here phoey on that lol.

Not trying to start a pissing match with you about just how hot it is here or there. My comment was aimed at the poster from Jersey talking about his rounds being as wet as the day they were cut one year later. No matter where you are from, the more sun/wind exposure the better.

Okay, here is an update on where I'm at. I'm trying to cut anything bigger than 2inch up into 16 inch pieces. I've taken most of the branches to the road so the city can pick up. The larger stuff was cut into 2 foot pieces by the tree service. I figure that I need to cut that down to 16" ish pieces as well then split.

I had people come by and tell me there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to split all of it. I told them I enjoy this kind of work and they all laughed. I'm enjoying myself so I'm not really caring about that right now.

View attachment 298442

You'll get it done. A lot of us here have real decent stacks all done by hand.

if you havent seen it, this is the best thread for bragging wood piles, everyone's trophys. There's a few cord to over a hundred cords here and there...one of the best threads on the whole site:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/198800.htm

Not trying to start a pissing match with you about just how hot it is here or there. My comment was aimed at the poster from Jersey talking about his rounds being as wet as the day they were cut one year later. No matter where you are from, the more sun/wind exposure the better.

Yup true also good thing no piss match cause I sweat all muh piss out today :cheers:

We are in the high 80s, low 90s right now. Mississippi has a lot of heat, but a lot of humidity as well. Also, do i need to spray for termites around the area I plan to stack? Everybody here has told me that termites will just end up in the wood.

Back