Just made a deal on a 260 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure to do the MM on it. It actually makes it like the older saws came from the factory. Also if you have a non H screw carb get a 194 on it and you'll be set. I tell my Dad that his 260pro is a little tractor (my 346xp is the sports car). Congrats!

Wow! You for a great deal on a good saw, especially in that condition. The 261's are a bit faster, but who cares in wood less than 8-10" anyway? That saw should last you a lot of years. $175 for that condition saw? All day long!

It didn't take much. This thing is like a new saw. And it runs awesome. I fueled it and it fired on one pull after sitting all winter! I almost don't want to swap the carb out, but I can't help myself!:laugh:

That's a hell of a grab for 175$. Tune that baby properly and it will give you hundreds of hours of use if you need it . Not the fastest saw but it's like the little engine that could. Sips fuel and is easy on the back. That lil saw is tried and proven. I always ran a 3/8 18" on mine mostly for limbing . Never got it into anything over 12"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's got a 3/8 .050, 20" bar. I don't want to spend any more $$ on it right now, but I'm thinking about throwing a 16" bar on it since I've got a 20" on the 036. Maybe I'll change my mind after I try it out? I do have an extra 28" B&C...

Reminds me of the 029 I saw on Craigslist, with a 36" bar! He wanted $350 for it. It did come with a 28" B&C for the smaller wood!

One right above, and one right below. Seemed to make sense at the time. I think they are 5/16", all three are the same size. And they fit under the stock spark screen.

Three 5/16" holes isn't enough. That's less than 1/4"sq. Also, three small holes will flow less than a single hole of the same area bc the edge to opening ratio is greater than a single hole of the same size, and flow is at it's slowest at the edge of an opening.

I just figured it was 3 times the flow of the stock port and I didn't want to over do it. Maybe I'll just take the die grinder and cut out the parts left between the holes. That would make a slot about 1" long x 5/16" wide. Would that be enough flow?

Nice saw. I agree a 16" B&C would be easier on the saw, faster on the cut, maybey balance better too.

Either way, if you'd passed on it, it would have been a tragedythat could haunt you! Good buy any day of the week! Only thing better would be two of them! Dave

He only had one ms260! But he did have a like new 6401 Makita and a big bore kit plus an extra 28" B&C. He bought the saw new from Baileys, not Home Depot. But he wanted $600 for it, so I passed.

Keep in touch with him. I've heard good things on the Makita, real nice saw. Let him know how the 260 is doing. I give friends better deals than I should. Offer him visiting rights to the saw. If it doesn't sell for his price, he might become flexible, and have you in mind.

He didn't have it advertised. He just happened to mention that he had a bigger saw, and I had my Dolmar in the truck. So I asked him if it was for sale... I'm still thinking about it, but I don't need it right now. If he would've said $400 I would've bought it. I still have his number!:D

Starting from base, set it at 1-1/8 on both. Then tune from there. You may wind up at about 1.25 on both, but start lower.

Any idea where to set the carb before I fire it up. Stock settings look like 3/4 turn out on the H side, 1 turn out on the L side. Thanks.

That number is the adjustment range with the limiters in place. Pull them out with a sheetrock screw and then set the carb about 1.25 from lightly seated on both needles and adjust from there.

Latest posts

Back