Just made a deal on a 260 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgraham1

I feel old
Reaction score
$175! This saw looks almost new, except the guy somehow broke the air filter cover. He says he bought it 10 years ago and just uses it once or twice a year. And for some reason he put a 20" 3/8 B&C on it. I've been thinking about a 261 or a 346xp, but this fell into my lap and decided not to pass it up. What do you guys think?

:Dimage.jpg

Great saw, sweet deal!

The most ideal bar and chain setup for the MS 260 PRO is going to be a 16" ROLLOMATIC E bar with 26 RM 67 saw chain. However, the 20" guide and 33 ?? 72 chain will still cut wood.

I'm just wondering how it compares to a 261 or 346xp. I have other saws so it's not too big of deal if it's a little underpowered.

I'm just wondering how it compares to a 261 or 346xp. I have other saws so it's not too big of deal if it's a little underpowered.

It will compare pretty well - each has its own strengths and weaknesses - you're comparing the best of the best to each other so really the differences tend to come down to personal preference, the type and size of wood you are cutting and your cutting style.

As others have said, that 20" bar will work, but you'll see much better performance if you can swap it for a 16." I know some guys who like 20" on their 026/260s but thats more for the extra reach & I get the sense they're in no hurry so they dont mind a little trade off in performance.Good score.

Well, a 346xp would've been my first choice, but I haven't seen any used ones for less than $400. There's one on the sacramento Craigslist for $500!! :eek:
This one is a little more in my budget. Once it stops raining and snowing in my neck of the woods, I'll try it out! For now I'll just have to wonder...

Great deal on a top notch saw. Mine is muffler modded and likes .325 18" Stihl RM or RS depending on the wood. It is pretty close to a stock non modded 346 and handles about the same.

I run both of the underpowered, overweight, overpriced, and poor handling :D stihl 50 cc "26" saws. For sure the MS 260 PRO with 16E .325 is a nice package, it's as small of a saw that I care to run. The MS 261 C-M VW with 16E .325 is the bugatti of the 50 cc class. The most luxurious feeling saw, with a whole butt load of power!

Other 50 cc saws are, well... FLIMSY!

I think I'll swap out the bar and chain for a 16-18" .325. I think I can find a use for the 20" ES bar that's on it. I am pretty happy with the deal, I was just trying to get everyone ticked off at each other with the 346xp, 261 comparisons. I guess it worked!

A 261 cuts faster, but a 260 is a pound lighter and handles better for limbing, plus it is a tried and true design. The 260 starts more easily cold and 1 pull hot every time. I've got bigger saws to use when wood gets bigger, so if I had to choose between the 261 and 260 to keep, it would be the 260. Suggest buying a second filter for the 260, clean the filter often, and run a super sharp chain. 16" bar w/.325 pitch chain seems perfect to me for a stock 260. The 260 is a simpler design and is easier to repair.

Of course, the 261 has a great air filter system, captive clutch cover nuts, and fewer exhaust fumes. Strong performer as an all-around felling, bucking & limbing saw in its class, but my standard carb version doesn't accelerate very quickly; once it does get going, though, it hauls.

I ran an 18" .325 x .063 bar on an 026 for 20 years. I have since switched it to a 16" .325 bar. I like the shorter bar better. If you have bigger saws, try a 16" on the MS260 and I think you'll be really happy. Keep a sharp chain on it and all thoughts of the 346 will exit your mind. when I'm limbing out a tree, I run the 026 until I get to about 10" wood and then switch up a size.

So what, he got a good saw at a great price, I don't think he bought it to play with himself in the yard. I doubt you will find one theses "circle cutters" in as nice of shape for anywhere near 175.
The op posed the question regarding the difference between those saws. And I agree with Brad, a 261 is a complete differnet animal than the 260.

I've got a 260 Pro also. 18 inch bar and .325 semi chisel. I love the way this thing runs.

The op posed the question regarding the difference between those saws. And I agree with Brad, a 261 is a complete differnet animal than the 260.
It didn't hurt my feelings! I asked and he gave an honest opinion. I like the posts to be a bit more descriptive, but it didn't seem rude or out of line to me.

So what, he got a good saw at a great price, I don't think he bought it to play with himself in the yard. I doubt you will find one theses "circle cutters" in as nice of shape for anywhere near 175.
Simmer down. He asked a question and I answered it. I guess you also missed the part where I said he got a very nice saw.

Latest posts

Back