just realized im old {or is it old school}

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allstihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i dont have a hyd splitter, dump trailer, mingo marker, fisker,bobcat, 42 chainsaws(ok i do have 5), if thermometer,i dont know how ive managed to heat with wood for the last 30 yrs. just having a senior moment i guess.

It seems to me that the harder you work the better the heat feels! Every split I have has been worked hard for. I'm not complaining, I enjoy the physicallity of wood gathering and it sure feels good at the end of the day when the fire is hot and the beer is cold and the family is warm and has the extra money to "play" with! To me? Old school is highly respectable!

I am not that old but I wish years ago i would have had some stuff i would fill younger today. If i could go back in time I would force my self to get a bobcat and dump trailer.

i dont have a hyd splitter, dump trailer, mingo marker, fisker,bobcat, 42 chainsaws(ok i do have 5), if thermometer,i dont know how ive managed to heat with wood for the last 30 yrs. just having a senior moment i guess.

There is still time.... start with the mingo, then a Bobcat (newer) and then a moisture meter (just so you can verify that the dry wood is indeed dry)

As long as you can get the job done that is all that matters.:msp_thumbsup:

There is still time.... start with the mingo, then a Bobcat (newer) and then a moisture meter (just so you can verify that the dry wood is indeed dry)

after picking up god knows how many splits i can tell how dry it is without a meter

I'm old too, but if it makes the job easier, i want it.:D No sense in killing yourself when it can be done a little faster with less stress on the body. Now some things i can't afford, For many years i split with a monster maul and my wife was always telling me to go buy a splitter. nah i'm too macho for that kind if thing.

A few years ago i had a yard full of unsplit rounds and knew i wasn't going to be able to swing the maul cause of a badly sprained wrist, Went outside and looked at the pile and walked back in and told the wife, lets go, Where we going? To buy a splitter. She said it's about time.

Now my wrist is healed and able to swing the maul but to heck with that. I will roll the splitter out every time.lol

No Bobcat, no Hydro splitter, No Dump Trailer

But, I do have:

Two saws, two felling wedges, stump vise, one Fiskars x27, Peavey Cant Hook, Garden Tractor and Cart, ATV and Trailer, un-named Maul and two splitting wedges.

I'm gathering the pieces I need to make a log arch, not because I need it, but I kind of like the idea of making one.

And ready access to some nice old Oak. I've got everything I need and more.

Of course, anyone needs a place to store a Bobcat, let me know, I'll help you find a place to hide the key.

Talk about "old school", I don't own a cell phone!! I do have a hyd splitter and a Fiskars though.

I'm really old school, I like to hire someone else to do the work.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

I've been cutting for 5 year now and I just got a fiskars. but I own two chainsaws, a 362 and a huskey 281. No ATV or anything. just a maul, two splitting wedges, two felling wedges and a half ton truck. I seem to manage just fine for 10 cord a year.

So old school you go to Internet forums to tell us about it.

Talk about "old school", I don't own a cell phone!! I do have a hyd splitter and a Fiskars though.

I've been cutting for 5 year now and I just got a fiskars. but I own two chainsaws, a 362 and a huskey 281. No ATV or anything. just a maul, two splitting wedges, two felling wedges and a half ton truck. I seem to manage just fine for 10 cord a year.

So old school you go to Internet forums to tell us about it.
Now thass funny right there.

:biggrinbounce2: Those three remarks, I resemble. Fit me to a Tee really.

Good choice in saws homemade. I've was cutting with a 51 and a 36 for years. Now I have a 61, a 365x-torq and a 288xp to go along with my Fiskars I just got a few weeks ago.
I hope I never pick up that 12lb. splitting maul ever again...:laugh:

I do some things old school like cutting and splitting my wood in 4' lengths. I do have a splitter and 10 chainsaws but no moisture meter, mingo marker or IR thermometer. I've got the doodlebug in my sig pic and the homemade cordwood trailer and no Bobcat.

My son in laws owns the IH tractor behind my doodlebug.

Latest posts

Back