just realized im old {or is it old school}

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i believe thats cheating , and against as rules

It could be, but I sell the firewood they produce, so that evens it out, somehow. (I'm sure of this):laugh:

Everything I burn I cut, or at least split, myself. Some of the rounds I get from other tree companies I didn't cut.

Mr. HE:cool:

I don't have much stuff. Pretty much what's in my sig. Enough to get the job done.

I have one chain saw, one splitting axe, one maul and 2 wedges and more ambition than common sense i guess.

Stick around. You'll have another chainsaw directly. :D
You really need two saws if you cut by yourself in any amount. You will get your saw pinched and the second saw comes in handy.

Awesome!

oops sorry, thought you said Mahogany RUSH

[video=youtube;Pg7DKZ8_sYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg7DKZ8_sYE[/video]

Mahogany Rush rep heading your way. I remember the days. I wasn't cutting firewood down in them days...:D

I'm old too, but if it makes the job easier, i want it.:D No sense in killing yourself when it can be done a little faster with less stress on the body. Now some things i can't afford, For many years i split with a monster maul and my wife was always telling me to go buy a splitter. nah i'm too macho for that kind if thing.

A few years ago i had a yard full of unsplit rounds and knew i wasn't going to be able to swing the maul cause of a badly sprained wrist, Went outside and looked at the pile and walked back in and told the wife, lets go, Where we going? To buy a splitter. She said it's about time.

Now my wrist is healed and able to swing the maul but to heck with that. I will roll the splitter out every time.lol

I homebuilt a splitter after 10 years heating with wood. Found that I much prefer handsplitting. Started feedign the tough, hard to split stuff to the splitter and doing most of the splitting by hand. Still do. Splitter comes out of theshed only a few times a year to work up the "reject" pile or when the"to be split" pile gets too big.

Harry K

I have not been heating with wood for 30 years, but getting darn close to that. Everyones needs differ. For some acquiring the "stuff" for wood gathering is a need, for others a want. For some the resources are available for doing so, for others the resources are not. For some, as they age they desire to do less physical work in their wood gathering, or more efficient or safer work and hense they find a path that allows them to do so. If you can get the job done with less "stuff" and the old body is not rebelling in the way you now gather your wood, then press on in what works for you. I don't think that mindset is that of an old person necessarily, just a wise one:)

thanks but my idea of fun usually involves mahogny ridge

Me thinks you have spent some time there recently....first you like my response, then you come back with this. Hard to argue with a guy who has been drinking and wants to argue with himself first. LOL

Old school....I am, but sooner or later you learn to work smarter, not harder. 4 saws, a file, splitter with a lift and a 4 way, and a dozer with a winch. :)

My signature says I have a, "work smarter, not harder ideology" but throwing money into a bunch of equipment ain’t necessarily working smarter… sometimes it’s just wasteful.

I don't own any gadgets of any sort, the cell phone is employer provided because of job description.

I do have a Fiskars, but I wouldn’t exactly call that “new school”, it’s just the latest rendition of an “old school” axe… I’m also using tubeless tires after-all (but, at the same time, I have ply tires on my pickup).

I do have a hydraulic splitter, but it ain’t one of those monstrosities you mostly see; I can easily lift the beam and roll mine around with one hand (my five-year-old can move it)… my idea of “working smarter” is being able to roll the splitter right up next to the rounds as I work, rather than move the rounds to the splitter. My idea of “working smarter” is to only handle the un-split round once, and once only… cut it, let it lay, and roll the splitter over to it while also being able to hold my beer in the other hand. And, my splitter takes up less storage space than a garden tractor while providing plenty of power.

I don’t need a skid-loader or a dump trailer (for firewood) because my idea of “working smarter” means minimal handling; I don’t load anything until it’s coming off the splitter, and I stack (or toss into the house) directly off the trailer... once it’s been loaded, dumping it back on the ground ain’t what I’d exactly call “working smarter.” But, I do have other uses for a skid-loader, and I’ve been “shopping”...

I have exactly one chainsaw… and a “pinched bar” situation isn’t a reason, an excuse or justification for owning another saw when a second bar accomplishes the same purpose and takes up a lot less valuable space. One saw means more time spent producing firewood and less time spent on maintenance and such (yeah, I know, a bigger saw would cut big wood faster... but it ain’t that much faster, I’ve owned much bigger saws in the past). If a fella’ has a passion for them, and “wants” to own multiple saws, that’s different; but don’t try and tell me they’re “needed”. That’s like me trying to tell you I “need” the several dozen guns I own… it ain’t about “need”, and making up reasons, excuses and justifications is… well, silly.

The fact is, other than maintenance items, I haven’t spent any money on firewood making/gathering equipment in over 20-years (the Fiskars was a birthday present)…

The wife and our two youngest daughters were in Cracker Barrel last night talking about splitting wood. The middle one was saying what a feeling of acomplishment she gets from splitting by hand. I have split enough by hand to keep us warm for the next 40-50 years. I still do some by hand but a floating bone chip in my left hand said go buy a splitter dummy, so I listened. I wished I would have done that a few years ago. If I had to do it all by hand I am afraid I would be heating with gas.

I'm 50 years old and consider myself "old school".

Had to break down and get a splitter a few years ago. Chronic tendonitis from splitting with a maul and 2+ full cords of American elm, some around 40 inches in diameter led me to tractor supply for a huskee 22 tonner.

Tendonitis is recovered, elm is all split and now I still go out with the 8lb maul for the health of it. However, it is for the cherry, ash, oak and maple.

Any elm still gets the splitter. A man has to know his limitations!

I'm 50 years old and consider myself "old school".

Had to break down and get a splitter a few years ago. Chronic tendonitis from splitting with a maul and 2+ full cords of American elm, some around 40 inches in diameter led me to tractor supply for a huskee 22 tonner.

Tendonitis is recovered, elm is all split and now I still go out with the 8lb maul for the health of it. However, it is for the cherry, ash, oak and maple.

Any elm still gets the splitter. A man has to know his limitations!

Yup, been there. I think most of us has hammered on gnarly wood just to see how tough we are.
I cut up a huge elm three years ago. Split some of it with my 12 pounder. That's about the time I found my Brave splitter on CL and finished splitting that monster with hydro. I'm still burning that elm wood. :msp_smile: and still split the good wood with my splitting axe. ;)

New Old School

Well I do have a Iphone and absolutely love it.

Have 3 working saws. Stihl 021 and 2 mac 10-10's

LOVE my fiskars but do occasionaly have a friend bring his splitter for the hickory and sweetgum.

Break up and mostly till my graden with a old push plow, but do also enjoy using a tiller.

I don't have many of the fancy things (splitter, tiller, new saws) because they are so dang expensive. I don't mind the hands on work but I will have some of them in the future once the kid gets out of college.

Latest posts

Back