Just received my near-new 066, any advice/info greatly appreciated, thank you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c4ndl3burn3r

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had been looking for a big Stihl for a few months and found this 066(non magnum) with less than six hours on it for $750.00 delivered to my door. The saw is in immaculate condition and verifies the sellers honesty. It came with a 24" bar and chain, the tool kit and owners manual. It also came with some packages of oil for the fuel mixture. It says "Opti-2, Smokeless E-GD+, 2 cycle engine lubricant, one mix for all 2 cycle engines" and thay are 3.2 oz each and on the back it says to mix one pack for 2 1/2 US gallons of gas. The previous owner also advised me that I lube the tip as he used varsol to clean it prior to shipping and that the carb may need to be set for my elevation. The saw did come from Calgary, Alberta and I am in SW Ontario, so this does make sense to me.

I dunno about using this oil - I'd feel much better using Stihl brand stuff for the saw but the previous owner said that this was the better stuff. The manual also calls for a mixture of 50:1. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on these two matters throughout the web :confused: . Could someone please provide some firsthand knowledge to me on these subjects please?

I am also wondering, is this saw fully broke in yet with such little use???

The saw will be used for firewood and cutting up big maples that are in log form. Any and all knowledge, tips, and info shared is greatly appreciated, thank you.

At least 50:1, I feel better with a little more 40:1 or so.

Open that muffler up, even the factory dual port makes a difference. (don't forget to retune the carb after)

Actually, I've been lurking on here for over a year - just haven't registered. There is a lot of people on here with a lot of useful info and it is a pleasure to read (even when the opinions differ) :jawdrop: .

The Stihl Ultra stuff sounds pretty convincing to me - I just wanna take care of this thing.

And I have read all about the muffler mods in this forum - awesome stuff! Am wondering though, does it make the saw any more difficult to tune? I don't think there are many people round this neck of the woods with this big of saw and my "local" Stihl dealer is an equipment rental agency. Just worried about the tuning expertise that I'm limited to in my area. Should this be a concern at all?

Thanks for the welcome and info, much appreciated :greenchainsaw: .

Dennis

Welcome to the site, now that your official ! :cheers:

Running the best oil your comfortable with, as rich as you can, like Temberwolf mentions 40:1 , a rich oil mixture is the cheapest insurance you can buy in case of a lean-out to prevent seizure.

Sort of a slogan of mine when it comes to mixing oil 'rich'......

Better a plug then a jug!​

Run your saw as fat ( 'H' screw out (too the left) as you can) at first, your saw will tell you when it's broke in.

Checking with a tach. do a few timed cuts, the best 'H' setting is the fastest cut in the biggest wood your bar will span.

Let the saw do the cutting, you just want to know how fat you can run it.

With a DP exhaust cover, or muff-modded, it seems easer to set the carb by ear. Most saws will burbble (too fat) out of the wood, but clear up in the wood for there best setting.

Have fun!

Last edited:
ShoerFast, your help and info is greatly appreciated. I have decided that I will be using the Stihl Ultra oil at a mixture between 40 & 45:1

I will not be the one tuning this saw. My local dealer (equipment rental agency) will be tuning it for me. I don't have a tach and I don't have access to any big wood right now either. Is there anything that I should be mentioning to them as they tune the saw for me?

As for the muffler mod, a dual port seems logical in the fall. I'll read up on the posts in the forum here to see which direction to take in that matter.

Thank you all for the tips and info.

Dennis

I have run the Opti-2 oil in our local fire dept's saws. It's good quality oil and it is smoke free, which is nice for emergency and fire personel. We've never had any equipment fail but I run Stihl oil in my personal saws.

LOL....sorry JL, not a chance.

Am still wondering if there is anything that I should request of my dealer when the saw is getting tuned for the first time.

Am not sure if the Opti stuff is a semi-synthetic or not, but I'm just not too comfortable with the stuff. Do the additives gum the cylinder pores??? I don't wanna find out.

Am gonna try to post some pics of the saw tomorrow :givebeer:

My new 066 (w/ 36" bar and chain) gets to the dealer at about 11 am Wednesday. I am getting it to chunk up big trunks that have to be dollied out of backyards and for flushing stumps before grinding.

Back