Just tried out a new ms361...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It was ok, but not that impressive to me. I think i would rather have my 038, besides it being lighter. It had a 20" B&C. It wasn't impressive enough for lots of folks to be posting "buy an ms361" as a response to everything. I liked it though. Whats a good price on one?

I have had my 361 for 3 years now, and there is no comparison to when it was new and now. After they break in they are totally different saws and with a minor muffler mod they really come alive. Buy any saw you want but the 361 is a great saw.

If I had to have one then it would be the old 036 model. The air filter on the 361 always made a bad seal and spoilt what could have been a nice saw for me.

It was ok, but not that impressive to me. I think i would rather have my 038, besides it being lighter. It had a 20" B&C. It wasn't impressive enough for lots of folks to be posting "buy an ms361" as a response to everything. I liked it though. Whats a good price on one?
Well if that is your opinion of it, don't settle for halfarsed go get something better, LOL.

Why on earth would you start your post like that, then finish it would "I liked though. Whats a good price on one?"

Go buy an 038?

In this day and age, with all the choices a person can have, why on earth would you settle for and pay money for something you seem to barely like.

Weird,

Sam

So now what?

Yup, little confused. You are not impressed by the saw, which is ok. We all have our opinion. When they are broke in and wake up, then right your review. That minor tweak called a muffler mod WILL change your opinion. Why ask about a good price if you don't like?:monkey:

Whats wrong with you folks? I said i wasn't impressed, as in it didn't rock my world, but it was ok and i liked it. Whats weird about that? Both sides of my mouth? And i wondered about a good price to compare it to the price i was given at the dealer. And i got an o38, thats why i was comparing. I don't need to go buy one. I would own one, i was just sayin it wasn't worth all the bold letters and exclamation points some folks on here describe it with. I was expecting the mack daddy saw the way it was described. And it was a used saw (not very much though) owned by a friend of the dealer. MAybe not broke in completely, but used none the less. So if thats weird, hey, have at it.

Maybe you just dont know how to use a chainsaw correctly? :popcorn:

Well i have cut a decent amount of wood in my time...lol...what time i've had... and if i'm doing it incorrectly...lol... then maybe someone can show me? Cause incorrectly or not, i've got other saws to base its performance on. Thats how i made my judgement. I may not be a seasoned pro, but i know what i'm doing. And if anybody wants to try my 20+ year old 038 against a 361 (both stock), I'm game.

Well i have cut a decent amount of wood in my time...lol...what time i've had... and if i'm doing it incorrectly...lol... then maybe someone can show me? Cause incorrectly or not, i've got other saws to base its performance on. Thats how i made my judgement. I may not be a seasoned pro, but i know what i'm doing. And if anybody wants to try my 20+ year old 038 against a 361 (both stock), I'm game.

Good response. Maybe the 361 just isnt for you then. I like mine a lot after doing the Lakeside mod to the muffler. Stock you probably wont be overly impressed, but it gains more than some new saws when broken in, plus the muffler mod helps a LOT! (Thanks again, Lakeside53).

I would own one though. I think i didn't think my original posting through. Bad wording. I would own one, and probably will if i can ever afford a new saw. Cause in the money range it would be best for me. That or a 570 husky. Lots of folks don't like it, but we have one at work, and its a good saw. It did feel good running it. All i was saying was that the power didn'y overly impress me. Thats all.

I would own one though. I think i didn't think my original posting through. Bad wording. I would own one, and probably will if i can ever afford a new saw. Cause in the money range it would be best for me. That or a 570 husky. Lots of folks don't like it, but we have one at work, and its a good saw. It did feel good running it. All i was saying was that the power didn'y overly impress me. Thats all.

If power didn't overly impress you grab a bigger saw.

I like saws that last for years that way I can sell them after 3 years recoup 1/2 or better,

take the 600.00 ms361, if I cut 50 cords per year for 3 years thats 150 cords divide that by $300.00 $2.00 per cord plus labor/workout.

but then take the 300.00 mac ms1850 that's 2.00 per cord and I don't need the worry about resale.

:givebeer:

Now that its winter I don't really care about the cost of the saw, the ms361 has already earned its keep the 10 cords it cut thats $60.00 per cord,

Ill cut a few more cords this winter, dead standing elm Ill burn and let the ash sit until next winter or I sell it at 350.00 per cord.

Last edited:
The power may not impress you, but the power to weight ratio should.

An 038 weighs over 15lbs. The 361 is much lighter.

The 038 is a cool saw, but the 038MagII is better in the PtoW aspect.

If you don't mind 15lbs, then pick up a MS460 with a DP muffler. If you are not impressed by that then Houston, we've got a problem...

Good response. Maybe the 361 just isnt for you then. I like mine a lot after doing the Lakeside mod to the muffler. Stock you probably wont be overly impressed, but it gains more than some new saws when broken in, plus the muffler mod helps a LOT! (Thanks again, Lakeside53).

+1 Good job Bowtie and thanks again to Lakeside53!

Back