Justa thought

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How long do you guys think it will be before we see the US governing body mandate stricter emissions on chainsaws so they come out with a 4-stroke fuel injectend Chainsaw.
(for homeusers)
Just was thinking about that because i heard some treehuggers complaining about loggers and emissions.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome to AS!

The restrictions have been with us since 1999, have been getting more restrictive, and get real tough in 2009, but most manufacturers are going to be able to meet them without 4 cycle. Some are going to catalytic converters (smaller/medium saws) and some are stratocharging on the larger...

A couple are experimenting with 4 cycle, but we'll see how successful they are. Sure, they'll meet emissions, but will they be competitive in power. weight and usability? Stihl has a 4-mix engine (4 cycle that runs on 2 cycle mix) on their OPE, but it's not planned for chainsaws

Play with the search function - there are many threads thrashing and trashing the EPA issues... Just try searching on "EPA"

Andy

Yea Welcome Christman,
I Knew that Lake could answer your question better then I, About 4 strokes.
Were on the same boat about tree Huggers. Of course we now use a 4 stroke engine. ;)

Lakeside53 said:
would you care to explain, in detail?
Ok, The truth be known. I don't know everything. Nor am I as cought up on engine tech. As you are.
SOOOOOOOOOOOO, Therefore you did and can give a better answer Then I.

In detail. The boat comment was a joke. " If "... We were in the same boat together, " If "...That boat had an engine. It would have to be an 4 stroke engine because two strokes are being phased out because of emissions. I would guess the Tree huggers had something to do with that also. Because of all that nasty oil being exhausted into the water.

I am now going up a creek with no paddle.

manual said:
Ok, The truth be known. I don't know everything. Nor am I as cought up on engine tech. As you are.
SOOOOOOOOOOOO, Therefore you did and can give a better answer Then I.

In detail. The boat comment was a joke. " If "... We were in the same boat together, " If "...That boat had an engine. It would have to be an 4 stroke engine because two strokes are being phased out because of emissions. I would guess the Tree huggers had something to do with that also. Because of all that nasty oil being exhausted into the water.

I am now going up a creek with no paddle.

I was joking too.. I was talking about the emissions of a more personal nature - even tree-huggers have them, and considing they are reputed to eat more beans... hey, maybe we can run our saws (or boat) on the tree-hugger emmissions?:laugh:

Oh,,, Ok, I Knew that....... You Know I was joking about me not knowing everything. :censored:

I do like what Cut4fun had added in about what Dolmar is doing with 4 strokes.

ok, explaining my guestion.

I was talking about saws to my buddies and somone listening walked up to use and asked why we cut down trees. :mad: :mad:

I said that i heat my house with wood. Well they just ask why don't i use natural gas or whatnot. I asked them if they've seen the gas prices lately?

Then they not mad and said that cars are putting to much pollution in the air (Chainsaws) is what I took it as and laughed at them.

With the 4-stroke, they got me thinking of epa, I work on nissans. And the emission controls on cars are just amazing these days. Was just thinking they are getting so strict on cars that they might try mandating high emission control on Chainsaws.

Christman said:
With the 4-stroke, they got me thinking of epa, I work on nissans. And the emission controls on cars are just amazing these days. Was just thinking they are getting so strict on cars that they might try mandating high emission control on Chainsaws.

Yup, everything is gonna be EPA friendly before it is said and done. A lot of my diesel engines at work in my air compressors and generators are computer controlled. They have them leaned out very much from the factory. So lean, that we usually have to richen the starting fuel because they don't like to start in the cold weather with no fuel.

Chainsaws, trimmers, lawn mowers, semi trucks, cars, etc. They are all getting new emissions treatments. I often wonder how long my moddified mustangs will be able to pass the emissions testing..

Uncle is worried about chainsaws out in the boonies, yet ya turn the tv on on the weekend and you see a load of rednecks with their Winnebagos in centerfield watching several dozen braver rednecks go around in circles for a couple hours. This is OK. Something seems screwed up. Really makes me think Lex Luther had the right idea with sending California into the ocean.

One day Id like to Drive out to Cali. and have a sniffer done on my car...

1985 Corvette
Catylitic Convertors are Gutted
Mufflers are ZR1 style Straight Thrus
Air Injection Reaction (emissions) is not only disabled, its all but removed.

I wonder what it would blow on the tester....:hmm3grin2orange:

In my Defense...It wasnt exactly by choice..The Cat Failed, and clogged the exhaust. Filled the factory mufflers up with catylist. New Cat costs 400 dollars..So I gutted the original. Mufflers were full of crap..So I dropped the restrictive originals and put in the Striaght thru Targas.
The AIR system malfuntioned, and threw codes, since it wasnt hooked up, I started removing unimportant parts of it.

Tree hugger...? NAHHHHH

Tree Hunter...OH YEAH

Lakeside you might have hit on something. If everybody in Calif. was piped into a main holding tank and fed beer twenty four hours a day. Might just solve the energy crisis. Nah be too much wasted beer.

fubar2 said:
Lakeside you might have hit on something. If everybody in Calif. was piped into a main holding tank and fed beer twenty four hours a day. Might just solve the energy crisis. Nah be too much wasted beer.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Christman said:
I asked them if they've seen the gas prices lately?

Then ask them if they live in a wooden house, or if they like plastic toilet paper, or how they like their Festivus Pole.

Where are you from in Indiana? I'm from Leavenworth (on the Ohio R. and from Plymouth, just south of South Bend.)

Welcome to AS.

Every tree gets a hug right before I cut it down.

If you hug a tree hugger than you are a tree hugger hugger.

If you hug their tree you would be a tree hugger's tree hugger.

If you hug their tree and them you would be a weirdo, and that is wrong.

If you hug their tree and them and then cut down their tree with a modern low emissions bio-desiel electric hybrid saw using a water cooled chain, that would be funny.

All my saws 4 stroke at one time or another.:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back