keeping saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would wait 90 days and then send a signature required letter (cost added to the bill) stating that he has two weeks to either pick it up or contact you to make arrangements. State clearly in the letter that if he doesn't do one of the above, the saw will be sold for payment of repairs and storage.

Keep a copy of the letter and the confirmation from the post office and he will have no recourse available.

Mike

It could be that he's had something genuine come up. One time a customer brought in a mower and we called him and told him it was done. He said he'd be in the following week to get it. Well, a few weeks later we called his house and the shop manager (my boss at the time) started in on the guy's wife rather sternly, only to find out the guy had died the day after we initially called him.

My boss felt like a real heel at that point.

Some times we have no idea of what it's like to walk in others shoes.

I seen the saw owner a couple of days ago at the local gas station, but he drove away before i could say anything to him,and he looked right at me. I don't like to sell some ones saw but i have my time and parts,I will call one more time and then sell it...

Well, I guess he's still alive... Looks like he might be avoiding you. I bet he doesn't have the cash to pick up the saw and doesn't want to admit it. Is it a pride thing? You could mention to him that if he doesn't have the cash you could work something out. Say like $20.00/week until it's paid off. Just something to start the ball rolling.

Man,,do what you can and hold the saw..dont take up much room..
you shouldnt need the repair money THAT bad..
yeh,pita but 6 months and then do something..
need a law suit ?? No ?? then tag it and bag it and wait..

Good point! At how many units can one do this and still have room for current repairs?

You have to make them aware of your intentions to sell it should he not pick it up...

I recently had a guy come in looking for a trimmer he had left 4 years prior...

the way things are today, people have great intentions of getting there saw/equipment fixed, and then after they drop it off, they have something bad come up....

It happens, we try and work with people as best we can....

If we do sell customer's equipment, we do so to close friends that we know will not abuse, so that in the rare case that someone starts a real stink, we can easily purchase back from sold to customer and resell to the original owner...and that is made clear when someone gets a deal....
Stuff happens, sometimes stuff that cant be controlled....

Did you still have the trimmer? Yah...right! :spam: Did he expect you to have it? What was his attitude? Did he say why he hadn't been around to get it?

The option to buy it back is a very good one! I'll have to remember that!

OP...

How much do you have invested in the repair? Is this guy a home owner or does he make his living with saws?

Some times we have no idea of what it's like to walk in others shoes.

Well, I guess he's still alive... Looks like he might be avoiding you. I bet he doesn't have the cash to pick up the saw and doesn't want to admit it. Is it a pride thing? You could mention to him that if he doesn't have the cash you could work something out. Say like $20.00/week until it's paid off. Just something to start the ball rolling.

Good point! At how many units can one do this and still have room for current repairs?

Did you still have the trimmer? Yah...right! :spam: Did he expect you to have it? What was his attitude? Did he say why he hadn't been around to get it?

The option to buy it back is a very good one! I'll have to remember that!

OP...

How much do you have invested in the repair? Is this guy a home owner or does he make his living with saws?

Just a home owner, parts and labor $ 137.50 i would take payments if he is hard up but he won't answer my calls....

It could be that he's had something genuine come up. One time a customer brought in a mower and we called him and told him it was done. He said he'd be in the following week to get it. Well, a few weeks later we called his house and the shop manager (my boss at the time) started in on the guy's wife rather sternly, only to find out the guy had died the day after we initially called him.

My boss felt like a real heel at that point.

Ouch that sucks. We had a customer drop his car off for repair, said he'd walk home, he died on the way home.

Just a home owner, parts and labor $ 137.50 i would take payments if he is hard up but he won't answer my calls....

That is when the certified letter might work. They can refuse the letter though and not sign for it. In that case the post office returns it to you in a period of days.

Bill

That is when the certified letter might work. They can refuse the letter though and not sign for it. In that case the post office returns it to you in a period of days.

Bill

Refusing to sign for the letter, or it being returned as undeliverable, gives you a practically airtight prima facie case for abandonment, and shows any court or mediator that may hear the pleadings in the future that you made every reasonable attempt to resolve the situation before selling the saw.

CHECKMATE!

Mike

Might be different if you a business or doing this on-the-side.

Charge a storage fee: say $5 - $10/month after 30 or 45 days from first notice?

Might check with a lawyer or your local Sheriff to see if there are any legal guidelines where you live.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back