keeping saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retired redneck

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How long do you keep a repaired saw after calling the owner? I have called him twice in two months,he says he will pick it up on a sertan day but never showes up. can i sell it for the repair bill??

Next time you call, tell him if he does not come within two weeks, it will be sold for the bill.

Next time you call, tell him if he does not come within two weeks, it will be sold for the bill.

You could also tell him that you're shipping his saw to American Samoa so the natives can use it to carve out their canoes...

081014mike-adze.jpg

Bye- Bye saw IMO. He's already lied twice.

It could be that he's had something genuine come up. One time a customer brought in a mower and we called him and told him it was done. He said he'd be in the following week to get it. Well, a few weeks later we called his house and the shop manager (my boss at the time) started in on the guy's wife rather sternly, only to find out the guy had died the day after we initially called him.

My boss felt like a real heel at that point.

90 days is a fairly standard policy. After that, the saw is yours. You should post that as a policy in your shop somewhere that it's clearly visible.

Man,,do what you can and hold the saw..dont take up much room..
you shouldnt need the repair money THAT bad..
yeh,pita but 6 months and then do something..
need a law suit ?? No ?? then tag it and bag it and wait..

Man,,do what you can and hold the saw..dont take up much room..
you shouldnt need the repair money THAT bad..
yeh,pita but 6 months and then do something..
need a law suit ?? No ?? then tag it and bag it and wait..

Bout time I can agree with you on something! :cheers:

I say definetly hang on to it for now. Ask these guys on here saying to sell it to put thierselves in the customers shoes. Maybe he got hard up for money, maybe something came up. I would at least give him fair warning before I sold it.

I do understand you needing your money also bud, don't take me the wrong way.

Shops around here give you 45 days-then they can sell it. If they guy is having $$ troubles, then he should call the shop and work something out. When you avoid the calls and the issue- then the saw should be sold to cover costs.

You have to make them aware of your intentions to sell it should he not pick it up...

I recently had a guy come in looking for a trimmer he had left 4 years prior...

the way things are today, people have great intentions of getting there saw/equipment fixed, and then after they drop it off, they have something bad come up....

It happens, we try and work with people as best we can....

If we do sell customer's equipment, we do so to close friends that we know will not abuse, so that in the rare case that someone starts a real stink, we can easily purchase back from sold to customer and resell to the original owner...and that is made clear when someone gets a deal....

Stuff happens, sometimes stuff that cant be controlled....

I'm not a repair shop owner so don't know for sure, but a friend once told me that in our state there is a minimum time you have to hold the repaired item after notification to the owner that it is done. I don't know whether this is the case, but if it is, you may have a state reg' that covers it.

Latest posts

Back