Keeping up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a story about a guy who definitely ISN'T keeping up. Met one of my customers yesterday at the post office. He has a 200 year old house and doesnt' burn wood. Had his thermostat set on 72, but the house was only 59. His furnace is running non stop, and it can't even keep the house warm.

My stove can mostly handle this weather. But, I obviously have to keep it cranked up more, which requires more frequent loading. Also, as the fire burns down, the house begins to cool off much quicker in this weather, than if the temps were in the 20's. So effective burn times are much shorter.

Last edited:
-15 here this morning. I loaded the stove last night at 6pm, I'm looking at my temp monitor in the house right now and it says 195. :D One row of 24" green fresh off the stump beech heating 2 houses. Whoo Dawg!! an easy 12hr burn! :rock:

My new thing of wedging one in sideways at the door opening and raking the coals up to it before reloading.

0115091816a.jpg

Last edited:
-15 here this morning. I loaded the stove last night at 6pm, I'm looking at my temp monitor in the house right now and it says 195. :D One row of 24" green fresh off the stump beech heating 2 houses. Whoo Dawg!! an easy 12hr burn! :rock:

My new thing of wedging one in sideways at the door opening and raking the coals up to it before reloading.

0115091816a.jpg

You got to love that CB. I sure am happy mine is keeping up. These cold temps did'nt seem to bother it at all.:popcorn:

0115091816a.jpg

I am surprised there is no smoke in that picture, by the time I am done reloading I am glad to shut the door and get out of there.

Not even close to being packed. That's one row of 24" wood, she'll take double of that! I load it at 6 am and 6pm to let the burn do it's job. I do get some smoke sometimes in the middle of loading it, but it's become a way of life. ;) And yes NW.. I love it! :D :cheers:

Imagine if that was seasoned wood!

Ok, I'll bite. What is the deal on the sideways piece?

When I got a pile of smokin azz hot burnin coals waaaaaaaay over the door opening it comes in handy for keepin them from being unruley. ;) Does the job until I burn em down with some white pine on the weekend.

The mean green does really make alot of extra brickets....Ah the price we pay for not getting the pile ready before winter!!! Some day....maybe!

Last edited:
Not even close to being packed. That's one row of 24" wood, she'll take double of that! I load it at 6 am and 6pm to let the burn do it's job. I do get some smoke sometimes in the middle of loading it, but it's become a way of life. ;) And yes NW.. I love it! :D :cheers:

Ok, Ok.......packed in the front....I couldn't see behind it.

To be fair, you really couldn't put double that much in because of the baffle sticking down. I don't like to load past the baffle anyway if I can help it.

Sure you can...put the back row right up to the baffle (not under) and put the front row in sideways.:clap: I don't like gettin wood under the baffle either, to much heat up the stack and waste of wood IMO.

Back